Brewer Fanatic

Phillies re-sign Moyer

piccione88

I think there is certainly better than a 50/50 shot that Moyer doesn't earn this $15M, I mean for gosh sakes he was born in 1963 and is still pitching. Yeah he had a good year this year but giving 2 years to a 45 year old dude seems a little unnecessary. But considering what other FA pitchers are available it probably really wasn't that bad of a bet.

I think there is certainly better than a 50/50 shot that Moyer doesn't earn this $15M

I think when you look at paying a guy like Gagne 10M for one year or Wood $20M for 2 years, Moyer seems like a lock to me.

He isn't going to quit being left-handed.

I don't know what he would lose at 46 that he wouldn't have already lost at 45.

It seems very safe to me. I mean Moyer at $15M, or Suppan at $27M for the same 2 years?

His ERA the last 5 years has been 5.21, 4.28, 4.30, 5.01, 3.71. He's averaged over 200 innings and 33 starts each year. At some point I suppose his body will break down, then again, the way he throws he could keep this up until he's well in his 50's. I'd rather have him than Suppan. He could have 270 wins and 2500 K's after these two years......who thought he'd be a HOF candidate 15 years ago?

At some point I suppose his body will break down, then again, the way he throws he could keep this up until he's well in his 50's.
He throws so slowly that he is almost like a knuckleball pitcher. I doubt there is much wear and tear on his body.

I mean Moyer at $15M, or Suppan at $27M for the same 2 years?
I did not like seeing that in writting.

.....and not be real thrilled about pitching in that home park.

Yeah -- that's a great point, however the Phillies have the #2 SLG overall, (#3 at home #4 on the road) -- so those dudes can mash regardless where they play.

There is no question that the Phillies can help a pitcher rack up W's with run support.

Moyer only gave up 20 HRs last year -- that's pretty good for his spot in the rotation.

Archived