Brewer Fanatic

2008 Brewers DVD (Update: 2011 DVD is a giveaway item at 4/8/12 game)

rickh150

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today (December 15) was the first day that fans with vouchers for a free copy could redeem the vouchers. Vouchers were distributed at the October 4 NLDS game (the one the Brewers won), and are also available to fans who spend $100 in the Fan Zone during December, or at the clubhouse sale the weekend before last.

So far I've seen no indication that the DVD will be sold, but it seems like an utter no-brainer to sell them, at some point (maybe after December, to give eager fans more incentive to spend $$$ in the fan zone).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I absolutely can't wait to get back to Milwaukee for the holidays and pick this up. I'm rewatching the last half inning of the ALCS clincher on Harvey's Wallbanger's right now just for kicks and it is glorious.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

i'm slightly concerned because there are only 40000 dvd's, which means there are more vouchers than dvd's. Hopefully stock can hold up until the weekend when I can finally pick one up.

why do they do this? they do this with the bobbleheads also. its not like you arent going to be able to move the excess product.

they know they gave away more than 40,000 vouchers, but only order 40,000. i understand they realize everyone wont pick theirs up, but like i said, it wont be a difficult product to move...unlike jeffrey hammonds bobbleheads.

I also have three vouchers and will be unable to make it to Miller Park to redeem. If someone doesn't have a voucher and is interested, I would send you the three vouchers and you would send two videos back(keep one for yourself). PM me if interested

I was able to watch the Brewers 2008 Highlight DVD. I didn't like the title too much "First in a Lifetime-The 2008 Milwaukee Brewers". I think it draws too much attention to our franchise's historical patheticness, while disrespecting Milwaukee Baseball fans over the age of 26. lol

Overall, the 30 minute highlight video was pretty well produced. But instead of having testimonials from Brewers, they have alot from FSN boardcasting staff, Jim Powell, and the unidentified "Door Man". They seemed to give equal highlight time to different phases of the season: Spring Training, Yo injury, Bad May, CC Trade, Good August, Bad hitting August, Wild Card celebration, NLDS. Personally, I think they should have spent more time on the last homestand and the NLDS. It would have been better served, letting the drama of the last homestand play out in storybook fashion. I think that is what the fans will want to remember and cherish the most from the 2008 season.

The segments were narrarated by Bob Uecker, just like the highlight vids from the 1980s, which is pretty awesome. Hearing it only made me want the Brewers to reach the World Series again while Uecker is still with us.

They did include the entire FSN broadcast of the September 28th Wild Card clinching game as a separate DVD track however, so that was a nice touch.

FYI: I heard the employee at the fan zone say to someone on the phone that the DVD was not for purchase, but you could get one if you had a voucher or spent over $100 in the Fan Zone.

They did include the entire FSN broadcast of the September 28th Wild Card clinching game as a separate DVD track however, so that was a nice touch.
That is also available on iTunes for $1.99. (It isn't in HD - so the quality certainly leaves something to be desired) But overall, I am very happy to have that game on DVD.
I think it's kind of crazy they are not selling it.
It might be because it is pretty bad. Watching the highlights on Brewers.com for half an hour is much more exciting. Most of the 30 minutes is made up of interviews from Dennis Krause, The Doorman, Brian Anderson and other writers. I thought they ignored most of the highlights.

It's better than nothing - but I certainly wouldn't be concerned if you are unable to obtain a copy.

twobrewers, I will agree that they maybe had to many interviews with people but overall I thought they did a good job documenting a special season in Milwaukee baseball.

And yeah, it is pretty sweet to have that game on DVD to watch whenever I get baseball fever now in winter.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

There's only so much they could have done in 30 minutes, but they failed to focus on the season-defining moments and games that made this season so enjoyable. Every season has its peaks and valleys, and I wish the DVD focused on more specific games/moments from the 2008 season. Here are several that I wished they would have touched on:

1) Gagne's debut at Wrigley

2) Russell Branyan, anyone?

3) Bush's near no-hitter, and the near collapse vs. Toronto

4) Sabathia's 2nd start

5) Peavy-Sheets duel on Sept. 6

6) Torres' Wrigley Field meltdown

I'm glad the Brewers produced this DVD for the fans, but I didn't need Dennis Krause (who I happen to like, btw) and Doug Russell (who likely has less knowledge about the Brewers than you and I) to recapitulate the ride for me.

I've stated several times that Russel Branyan was the key to the Brewers playoff run (Without his hot streak - the Brewers never would have traded for CC) and I don't think he was even mentioned during the entire DVD.

Also, when did it become "Fox Sports Wisconsin" instead of "Fox Sports Network - Wisconsin"?

Archived