Brewer Fanatic

reserve middle infielder

piccione88

If the Brewers do indeed go into the season with Hall, and Lamb platooning at third base, they will need a backup middle infielder. The only option that the Brewers have in the system that I can think of is Adam Heether, who has only started playing shortstop for us last year. So who is available in free agency, or the trade market. Punto re-signed with the twins, and Lopez went to the D-Backs. Even with the lack of quality middle infielders, I cannot think of anyone who I really trust.

The only people I can think of that have any value would be Hairston JR. who is not much of a shortstop, and is coming of a fluky year, so will most likely be overpaid, and offered deals by teams that can give him more playing time. After that the only free agents that I see are Counsell, Aaron Miles, Juan Uribe, and maybe Cora could do better than Heether. So who else is available, or are we going to have to go with Heether?

No I am not assuming that Hardy or Escobar will be traded, I just think it would be silly to use up service days on Escobar to have him be a reserve. I have soured on Iribarren after last year, if he has a good spring training then there is no harm in giving him a shot, but I would just feel comfortable with another infielder on the bench, besides Hall on his off-days.

I was under the assumption that it would be a soft platoon at third like it was last year, with Hall getting to start against weaker right handers. Even if it is a strict platoon which I prefer, I do not feel comfortable with Hall starting more than 10 games at short, and second against right handers. However if there is nothing else out there, Hall is the best option unfortunatley.

I was under the impression that Lamb wasn't as good as Hall anyways. Billy is probably above average defensively, but Lamb should hold his own (much like Branyan did). Lamb's OBP skills and left-handed bat should keep him in the lineup, probably hitting 2nd.

If we pick up an everyday 3B, Hall will be the supersub, with Lamb a LH bat off the bench. If we do not pick up an everyday 3B, I'd guess Hall will start at SS the few games Hardy gets a day off. If Hardy were to get hurt for an extended period, I would assume Escobar would be called up. With the current group of players, Hernan is probably a good candidate to start the season as our "utility" player / 25th man.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think most defensive metrics had Branyan around average and Lamb as very poor.

Lamb only has an OBP of .336 against right handers. We would have been much better off with Branyan. Since he is not available I guess Lamb wouldn't be to bad an option hitting 2nd against RHP. Counsell wouldn't be a bad option as a backup middle infielder as long as he is getting no more than a start every other week.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I generally wouldn't look at just one season if I am going to look at vs LHP/RHP splits. Gets to be to few at bats to tell much. At the very least I would look at the last 3 years.

Careeer vs RHP

Lamb .281/.336/.422/.758

Brnayan .234/.335/.491/.826

Edit:Southpaw is right. I jumped down to his home split for the OPS. My mistake.

I blame Wang.

If Lamb/Hall is indeed our starting 3B platoon, I think we can expect Gamel to be up sometime in June, which would free up Hall to supersub again.

That would probably give us almost an extra year of Gamel although I think he would almost certainly end up as a super 2 since he has about a month of service time already.

Hall/Lamb won't be a terrible 3B platoon. Lamb would be one of our better hitters against LHP, OBP wise anyway.

I blame Wang.

Escobar had been working a bit at 2nd base, so they might have him in mind if neither is dealt.

Where did you read this? I had no idea that Escobar was getting time anywhere but at SS. I'd be interested in knowing the circumstances under which he was getting work at 2B. Winter ball? Instructs? Pre-game?

Where did you read this? I had no idea that Escobar was getting time anywhere but at SS. I'd be interested in knowing the circumstances under which he was getting work at 2B. Winter ball? Instructs? Pre-game?

I don't think he is now. There was a story, maybe a month ago that said Willie Randolph was going to work with Escobar at second base in spring training.

Id also be ok with Counsell, and I never thought i'd say that. Thats assuming we dont give him more than $2 million, and its only one year. He has a good eye, plays solid defense at three positions, is a left handed bat, and the fans are familiar with him. Why not?

I agree that come late June or July Hall will not be starting and will be in the super sub position. Or we could always bring back Counsell for cheap he was not awful. Where is Graffy at now anyway could be be an option if signed a minor league deal?

Archived