Brewer Fanatic

Rolen-Suppan swap idea

fleehaw

If Hall is moved to the Yankees, obviously the Brewers would need to acquire something at 3B. A 3B platoon of Lamb/McGahee doesn't exactly sound too good. If some SP is acquired whether it be through FA or a trade, how would people feel about a Rolen for Suppan swap?

The Blue Jays could use some pitching with Marcum out for the year and McGowan out at least part and losing Burnett to the Yankees. They also picked up Jose Bautista last season. Not to say he's anything special, but he can play 3B.

Rolen is due $13.25M in '09 and $12.63M in '10 ($4M of which the Cards are picking up).

Suppan is due $12.5M in '09 and '10 with a $2M buyout for '11.

Rolen has a full no-trade clause and Suppan has a partial no-trade clause to 8 teams he selects annually.

Let me get this straight. Between the (hopefully slightly expanded) eventual Yankees swap and this Rolen/Suppan proposal...

Brewers add ~$20M in:

Melky Cabrera for CF (~$2.5M in 1st arby year)

Kei Igawa (possibly) for the P staff ($4M)

possible young Yankees pitcher ($500K)

Scott Rolen for 3B ($13M avg.)

Brewers lose ~$30M in:

Mike Cameron ($10M)

Bill Hall ($7.5M avg.)

Jeff Suppan ($12M)

And as a result:

- 3B is improved -- should at least be a neutral entity if not a positive change (assuming (BIG "IF") Rolen's healthy), plus Rolen can pass on sage advice & misc. tips to Mat Gamel (like how to have two "t"s at the end of a first name?);

- CF loses some pop and some defense but gains contact and more future potential;

- Our new utility IF (whomever it will be) won't cost nearly as much as Hall;

- Suppan's replacement can't be much worse but could easily perform at Suppan-like levels for a fraction of the cost;

- AND the Brewers gain payroll flexibility to add to the P staff and replace Hall without touching any of the potenially available dollars that might've gone to CC (yes, Doug, I'll take Randy Johnson for $6-8M, please!).

Sign me up!

Yes, but do the Jays have any options for 3B? There's nothing much on the market and after the off-season the Yanks have had, I doubt they can justify throwing some AAA guy out their for the season. There's plenty of pitching to be had. But otherwise, it sounds good to me.

The Blue Jays need pitching, but I do not see them having any interest in Suppan. There are plenty of options for the blue jays in free agency, and on the trade market that would give them the same production as Suppan for less money. Rolen is due 22 million over the next two years, he is arguably worth that, Suppan is not anywhere near worth 25 million over the next two years. If the Jays feel confident in Bautista, and wanted to move Rolen I would imagine they dont have to take on a bad contract, to get a decent pitcher for him.

If that deal did come up though I would jump at it, no doubt.

Yes, but do the Jays have any options for 3B?
They have Jose Bautista, who kills left handed pitching, but leaves much to be desired against righties. If they were to make that deal for some reason they would have to get a platoon mat for Bautista. So while taking on 3 million over the next two years, they also have to add a third base platoon mate. I could see them making the deal for a less expensive starter, but not Suppan.

Wasn't the original trade between the Cards and Brews so appealing because of the Soup Nazi's relationship with Rolen? I believe it was made known that the reason he would waive his no-trade clause to come here is to be reunited with his old chum, Jeff. But if he would agree and the Jays would agree, I agree, it's well worth it.

The Blue Jays need pitching, but I do not see them having any interest in Suppan. There are plenty of options for the blue jays in free agency, and on the trade market that would give them the same production as Suppan for less money. Rolen is due 22 million over the next two years, he is arguably worth that, Suppan is not anywhere near worth 25 million over the next two years. If the Jays feel confident in Bautista, and wanted to move Rolen I would imagine they dont have to take on a bad contract, to get a decent pitcher for him.

If that deal did come up though I would jump at it, no doubt.

I could be wrong, but I can't see guys like Lowe, Johnson, and Smoltz signing with Toronto. Perhaps Wolf or Penney. But you're correct, as of right now, there's more attractive pitchers on the market.

Anyone have any info on how Toronto feels about Rolen? He seemed to miss some time last season and his line wasn't very impressive.

I could see that, maybe the Brewers would have to add a decent prospect into the deal. If Melvin was able to pull off a deal with Hall, and Rolen as the centerpieces I would be ecstatic. I think Rolen did very well last year for what I expected of him, a .780 OPS from third base with excellent defense is very good in my book. He will not give you 550 PA anymore, but if I had to chose between a platoon of Hall/Lamb for 7.2 million, or Rolen for 11 I would go with Rolen.

Archived