Brewer Fanatic

getting joey gathright

And he can never get on base, his career obs is .328, no thanks

That's quite the overstatement to say he can never get on base. In 2007 he had a .371 OBP and having done that one year, he's certainly capable of doing it again. Melvin is known to believe that speed guys develop later as hitters.

You wouldn't grab him and hand him the starting CF job obviously but I see no reason not to have competition for that job. It worked for the Brewers in 03 when Melvin brought in Pods to compete with Sanchez.

That's quite the overstatement to say he can never get on base. In 2007 he had a .371 OBP and having done that one year, he's certainly capable of doing it again. Melvin is known to believe that speed guys develop later as hitters.
I really hope that Doug Melvin wouldn't gamble that the one season where Gathright put up a .371 OBP in just 74 games and hope it happened again.

And what's the basis on saying "Melvin is known to believe that speed guys develop later as hitters" other than lucking out on Podsednik for a career year?

He is fast and can turn a single into a double with ease.

He has 1100+ MLB ABs and 30 career doubles, so -- no he really can't.

To me, Gathright is just Tony Gwynn Jr minus a HOF dad.

Gathright is fast, a good basestealer, and defender -- Gwynn is none of those things. Gathright also has some pretty decent MILB stats, Gwynn does not.

That said, I wouldn't know why the Brewers would pursue him, unless he was a ST NRI and just wanted to see what he could do. I'd much rather have Gathright as my 5th OF than TGJ, but I would definitely opt for curtain #3.

Gathright is fast, a good basestealer, and defender -- Gwynn is none of those things.
So Gwynn isn't fast and isn't a good defender? What are you basing that on? If he's on the 25-man roster, there are probably only a couple players on the team faster than him and, save for Cameron, no one better in the OF on defense.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Joey Gathright is willie Mays Hayes. No matter how much people resist, Id still love to have him on our bench and work his way into the lineup. If he cant make the team then he gets cut. So what.

If they could sign him to a minor league deal, fine... but given the fact that they're going to have to still do some 40-man maneuvering to perhaps get a SP or two, I just don't see anyone on the 40-man I'd want to cut to make that happen.

Right. Obviously he is not as slow as Fielder or a plodding catcher, but he will never be fast enough to steal bases. I have never seen a defensive metric to indicate that he is a decent OF.
Joey Gathright steals bases at a 74% clip. If the benchmark is that 66.7% is the break even point, he's stolen a career 78 bases, is it really that much of a value? I do feel that the THREAT of stealing puts added pressure on a pitcher, but if he's only getting on base at a .328 percentage, I'm very underwhelmed.

As far as TGJ's defense goes, I've watched him in the majors and in the minors, and I'd really say that his defense is Cameron-esque. I don't think he has an amazing arm or anything, but he's very instinctive and pretty rangy. I agree that TGJ has a lot of name hype associated with him, and that he's not a good idea as a starting OFer, but I don't see Gathright being any better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Joey G had 4 XBH's last year in over 315 PA's. He slugged .279. He's worse than most backup catchers at the plate. The only value he has is as a 5th OF/PRer, and we have one of those in Gwynn. I don't see the reason to put forth the effort to sign a guy who's barely different than what we already have, minus the fact that he's got enough of a track record to prove he's probably never going to be more than what he already is, which is mediocre at best.

Brian, what impresses you about TGJ? I've seen iffy big league range, a mediocre arm, and average jumps. I can't recall seeing him run down one ball that made me say, "wow!" Cameron did that on a daily basis. I was enamored with Gwynn in the minors, but have been very unimpressed as his speed and range hasn't impressed me in the big leagues. As colby and I discussed before, if Gwynn is as strong defensively as his reputation, then Fernando Perez is the greatest defensive CF to ever play the game. While Perez is amazing, I think that helps explain that I think Gwynn isn't as good as once claimed.

Brian, what impresses you about TGJ? I've seen iffy big league range, a mediocre arm, and average jumps. I can't recall seeing him run down one ball that made me say, "wow!" Cameron did that on a daily basis. I was enamored with Gwynn in the minors, but have been very unimpressed as his speed and range hasn't impressed me in the big leagues. As colby and I discussed before, if Gwynn is as strong defensively as his reputation, then Fernando Perez is the greatest defensive CF to ever play the game. While Perez is amazing, I think that helps explain that I think Gwynn isn't as good as once claimed.
I'll freely admit TGJ has a mediocre arm. I've seen him make great jumps on the ball, never take odd routes, and sliding catches. Now obviously, my exposure to seeing him play has been limited to a few visits to minor league clubs and the limited time he's had reps in the Milwaukee outfield, for take it for what it's worth. I know that he's also had a very positive defensive reputation from scouting reports to this point.

Joey Gathright steals bases at a 74% clip. If the benchmark is that 66.7% is the break even point, he's stolen a career 78 bases, is it really that much of a value?

No, I agree with you -- all I am saying is that the dude has wheels, moreso than TGJ. TGJ never stole bases in MILB, Gathright racked up some good totals in the minors.

I've watched him in the majors and in the minors, and I'd really say that his defense is Cameron-esque.

If you mean Kirk Cameron, I would agree with your astute observation, if you mean Mike Cameron, clearly you are insane. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I don't see Gathright being any better.

I mostly agree... If you look at the math, it clearly shows the following.

Mike Cameron > Melky Cabrera > Gathright > Roomba > TGJ.

Archived