Brewer Fanatic

Overreaction or not?

danzig6767

I know that there are very few NHL fans here, but something happened that isn't really about hockey the game itself to count on.

A Dallas Stars hockey player named Sean Avery was suspended for 6 games by the NHL for making a comment to reporters about his past girlfriends. Avery is a known playboy and big mouth, in fact he was voted the most disliked player in the league by other players. Well, in the past he dated both celebs Elisha Cuthbert and Rachael Hunter. Since breaking up with both ladies, Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf is now dating Elisha Cuthbert and Rachael Hunter is dating and i believe engaged to Los Angeles Kings center Jarrett Stoll.

While Dallas was in Calgary to play a game, Avery was talking to reporters and said, "I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight." That drew him a six game suspension.

Some have said the suspension was going overboard given other players have been suspended for shorter lengths of time involving plays where they intentionally took cheap shots which caused harm to another player.

While i can see why the league didn't like the comments by Avery and i'm sure his reputation for mouthing off may have factored in, i do think six games for a comment like that is going overboard. Guys can hurt another player and get a few games, but he makes a comment that's really not extreme and the PC police draws Avery a 6 game suspension.

when I saw this a week ago I kind of rolled my eyes and went on with my life. All sports seem to have their eye-rolling off-the-field/court/ice moments each season.

That said, I think the NHL over-reacted. Six games was unnecessary for a comment like that. I could see 1-2 games with the his salary for those 2 days donated to children's charities/hospitals.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Way overboard. When I heard the comment, I laughed. Yeah, it probably means I'm a jerk, but I wouldn't have suspended the guy for that.

I did laugh about that to. It was way overboard I have seen worse things happen on the ice happen and they didn't even get suspended as long as this guy did for making a sarcastic or rude comment.

While I think his suspension was a culmination of a series of incidents, Bettman went overboard. Young men occasionally talk like that amongst their friends, so I doubt anybody could be truly shocked and horrified. I also thought it was funny. Avery is a turd, but it's not like he did anything violent.

This reminds me of when David Stern threatened to kick Jeff Van Gundy out of the NBA for his comments about the referees -- a total overreaction, but it hit somebody's soft spot.

Borrowing pitchleague's terminology, the NHL should have rolled its collective eyes and moved on. That's what MLB did a few years ago when Pat Burrell made comments similar to this topic.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

To be fair, the NHL's commissioner explained that the suspension was based on a series of missteps by Avery over the past year and a half or so. Do I think that's fair? Not necessarily. Do I think Avery is a punk and probably had it coming? Yes.

That being said, I laughed when I read the comments.

I thought it was funny.

I'm a huge hockey fan, and like Avery's game. He's got decent offensive skills and is as tough as anyone. The thing I really like is that if anyone wants to take issue with Avery over this, he won't back down from anyone and will drop the gloves in a second to fight his own battle.

I'm sure Bettman saw this as an opportunity to ball all of his infractions into one and send Avery a little message about his behavior.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I thought the suspension was for a series of behavior? What made me shake my head wasn't what he said but the face he made when he said "sloppy seconds." In the video it didn't come off as a fun dig. It seemed disrespectful to his lady friends and certified him as a penis. That said, it wasn't anywhere near to being a big deal so I was surprised at any punishment, but I'm not a hockey fan. Also I understand that he was probably forced to send out an apology, but it makes me chuckle at the supposed 'tough guy'.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What Sean Avery doesn't realize is that he's been getting MY sloppy seconds.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's ridiculous. The comments were in poor taste and maybe inappropriate....but to be suspended? For six games? I couldn't believe it.

Gary Bettman is a control freak that rules with an iron fist. I think he took this as a chance to get some attention in the way that Goodell gets credit for keeping the NFL from becoming what the NBA became 10 years or so ago. I think Gary's been looking for a chance to set an example....and he picked the wrong one. Man was that an overreation.

A 6 game suspension for a verbal attack in a league where referees allow players to punch each other in the face during the game? I don't understand hockey.

Watch it. Understand it. Love it.

As indicated earlier, the Commish was almost looking for a reason to suspend Avery for his past transgressions.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

The should have let Donald Brashear or the new boyfriends take care of it. That's the way things are usually done in hockey.
Dion Phaneuf (the new boyfriend) is a solid defenseman for the Flames, but not much of a goon. Unfortunately for Phaneuf, Brashear plays for the Capitals and Calgary's top enforcer is out with a broken jaw.

So, I guess Phaneuf would've had to step up and take care of his own business. However, Avery is a decent fighter, so he'd have his work cut out.

What Sean Avery doesn't realize is that he's been getting MY sloppy seconds.

So how long is homer suspended from bf.net? 6 months? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

No suspension. Just a 10 minute misconduct penalty.

Archived