Brewer Fanatic

Capuano non-tendered / re-signed; Latest: Happy Couple

And That

If I remember right, when the Brewers were playing the Diamondbacks, Capuano was in the stands and interviewed. He sounded very open to the idea of working his way back to the team including time in the minors, so I don't think this was a big surprise to him and if the team offers, I'm pretty sure based on those comments, he would take the minor league deal.

I thought I remembered seeing that the Brewers and Capuano likely had a handshake deal that he'd take a minor league deal if they non-tendered him, so it's not really a surprise. I've always liked the guy, and hope he can come back and contribute at some point this season. He caught a lot of unnecessary crap from Haudricourt and the casual fans about that idiotic "loss streak" in 2007, and I always wanted to see him come back and become a solid regular again.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

From the article:

Whether Capuano is ready to pitch by 2009 Opening Day remains to be seen. He has been rehabbing at the Brewers' training facility in Phoenix, and assistant general manager Gord Ash, who oversees the team's medical program, said Capuano might need a few extra weeks to work into pitching shape. With a Minor League contract, he can do so with one of the team's affiliates.

That sounds more optimistic than a June return, unless Gord is using 'a few extra weeks' really liberally.

Agreed, Amy. Best of luck to you, Cappy... hope that you can help the Brewers in 2009.

Cappy is one of the classiest guys I've met

It's cool that you got a chance to meet him, and that his persona isn't just some act for the cameras (not that I thought it was)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Capuano's been at an average of about 86 in his three full years with the Brewers, per Fangraphs. Unless you think he won't be able to get that back because of the surgery, there's no reason to think he'll throw 84.

Just to further reinforce how unlucky he was in 2007, we have a stat now that didn't exist then: tRA. Capauno put up a 4.02 tERA (tRA on the ERA scale, tRA * .93), over a full run off of his actual 5.10.

Capuano was also pitching pretty well before he suffered an injury and then was terrible until they shut him down. I always take stats after an injury with a grain of salt. He is a big injury risk and that covers the injury angle enough by itself.

Archived