Brewer Fanatic

Trade Idea: Fielder to Red Sox for Bowden, others

Reading through the off-season plan thread, I attempted to construct a roster that could compete in 2009 and beyond, and came up woefully short. I don't like the idea of signing FA pitchers at all, so I thought I'd attempt to come up with an alternative:

(This deal would hinge on Boston not signing Tex)

Prince for Michael Bowden, Daniel Bard and Manny Delcarmen.

Now, I'm not sure if this is too much for us (probably), and if it is, I could live without Bard or Delcarmen. Bowden is a must, however. I would also consider adding Salome (they need a C, and he could be a future DH) if it meant getting all three guys.

This punts 2009. I understand that. And I'm OK with that. It also allows us to sign our young guys who want to be here (mostly Hardy) to long-term deals. It keeps us out of starting pitching FA at least until that one starter may actually put us over the top.

I'd stick Bowden in the rotation immediately, Bard in high-leverage relief situations immediately with an eye on him being the closer in 2010, and delcarmen is a nice arm to keep around for 3 years or more.

That's my case. Lemme have it.

I think your right cuz it is slightly over value for Prince, but they are not going to trade lots of young pitching for a long term solution at 1st, because they have one in Lars Anderson right now.
You're right. For some reason I was thinking Anderson was an OF.

That definitely puts a crimp in this idea.....my overall point of attempting to acquire young, controllable pitchers is still there though.

BTW, I tried to edit the title, but it didn't work.

So, if we trade Cameron for Melky and Prince for pitchers, our lineup will be

1B Nelson

2B Weeks

SS Hardy

3B Hall/Lamb

RF Braun

CF Cabrera

LF Hart

C Kendall

with a bench of Hall/Lamb, Rivera, Gwynn, ?, ?

I'd guess we'd score a lot less runs than last year, while giving up a lot more (going from Sheets to a talented rookie), leading to a lot more losses, and a team no one wants to watch. No thanks, I'll continue to believe that with a couple of less-spectacular moves, we can still be competitive in 2009 and beyond.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Sorry, my mistake. I just typed it out quick. They obviously wouldn't. Of course, with that lineup you won't win many games anyhow, so maybe it could be like recess where people just play where they want.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So, if we trade Cameron for Melky and Prince for pitchers, our lineup will be

1B Nelson

2B Weeks

SS Hardy

3B Hall/Lamb

RF Braun

CF Cabrera

LF Hart

C Kendall

with a bench of Hall/Lamb, Rivera, Gwynn, ?, ?

I'd guess we'd score a lot less runs than last year, while giving up a lot more (going from Sheets to a talented rookie), leading to a lot more losses, and a team no one wants to watch. No thanks, I'll continue to believe that with a couple of less-spectacular moves, we can still be competitive in 2009 and beyond.

I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment of the 2009 situation. And in 2010 and 2011 we're waaaaay better than we would be if we tried to be competitive in 2009. I just don't see any pitchers out there that are gonna help us be a playoff team next year.

in 2010 and 2011 we're waaaaay better than we would be if we tried to be competitive in 2009

Why not try to be competitive in 2009 and then trade Prince for the pitchers that will help us in 2010 and 2011. The two aren't mutually exclusive. After 2009, there will still be pitchers available to trade Prince for, and

we'll have bats coming up from the minor leagues that would allow us to better handle the loss of Prince to our lineup without destroying our offense. There's really no need to give up on this season.

~Bill Walsh

Let me also add that if Prince was dealt this early I would require a potential frontline starter as the centerpiece of the deal. There is a list of potential ace's in the minors that I would accept and Bowden certainly is not on the list.

Try Neftali Feliz, Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Tommy Hanson or Chris Tillman.

I agree, and I'm certainly not married to Bowden. I thought (incorrectly as it turns out) that Boston would want Fielder.

I like your guys better except Hanson. I'd much rather have Bowden. Texas and Oakland wouldn't seem to be good fits for Fielder. Baltimore for Tillman + would seem to be a good fit. They have him, Arietta and Matusz, so maybe they would part with one of them for Fielder.

I was a non-believer in Hanson as well, but he's proven everyone wrong at every level.

Until he shows some disappontment, he stays on that list.

Bowden: Under a K/Inn, .212 OBA (minors), 2.62 ERA (minors)

Hanson: Over a K/Inn, .197 OBA (minors), 2.41 ERA (minors)

Yeah, sorry about the thread title. I'd fix it, but I don't know how. Bard is not filler. He has a chance to be a great reliever, and I believe that Delcarmen also can be an extremely effective reliever (particularly in the NL). And they cost a combined 1.2M. I will also admit that I am firmly in the trade-Prince-sooner-than-later camp. His weight terrifies me.

Yeah there are some very nice players in your proposed deal, that was just my reaction from the title. I personally would not trade Fielder this off-season unless the deal is centered around a young pitcher that already has had success in the majors, for example Ervin Santana, or James Shields.

Archived