Brewer Fanatic

Non tender possibilities

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Wiggington not viewed with more value than he seems to have?

He posted a .876 OPS last year in almost 400 at bats. Overall the last three years, he's been a .800 OPS hitter or better and while he does hit lefties better than righties, he's hit righties at a very solid clip. He hasn't been like Hall where he can only hit lefthanded pitchers.

Is his defense terrible? What am i missing with Wiggington?

I was wondering the same thing. He seems like a great fit for the Brewers. He was 5th in MLB among 3B in OPS. He actually had a better OPS than Longoria. I do not know much about defensive rankings but from what I could tell he was not terrible. If he is non-tendered we should go after him.

From what i've read, he can barely play 3b anymore...also, the 'stros were anticipating having to pay him 6+ million in arby, so he just wasn't worth it...

he'll get a multi year deal from someone i would think...

I guess I do not know how to read defensive metrics than because for range factor he was right next to Bill Hall and for zone ratings he was right next to Longoria, two guys who can play third base from what I have seen.

Daniel Cabrera is just 27 and has allowed fewer hits than innings pitched in his career in the AL East. His WHIP is high because he walks a lot of guy and he's the worst hitter possibly of all time: 14 AB's, 14 K's.

But come February, if guys like Cabrera and Redding are still out there and you can get them cheap, you might want to bring one in as insurance and to compete for the 5th starter spot.

Wigginton is robotic at third. At his size he is only going to get worse defensivley.

I would agree with that but he was charged with only 6 errors in 82 games last season. Nevertheless, with Hall still around, I don't see Wigginton as a Brewer. I do like his bat though.

He's kind of at a weird price point for a platoon player

Cough...Bill Hall....cough...

It should be pointed out that while Wigginton mashes LHP, he still put up a .810 OPS vs RHP last year as well, so it's not like he'd have to be used exclusively as a platoon guy. He actually seems like a pretty cost-effective option for upgrading 3B fairly considerably, especially if we could get salary relief for Hall.

What about Aaron Miles? He'd be a monumental upgrade over Craig Counsell and could even be a decent stopgap if you wanted to deal Weeks for some pitching.

Mark me down for wanting Aaron Miles.

Yeah he had a nice season last year. He would be a great utility guy off the bench.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Joe Nelson was suprisingly made available. Theres a poster here who wanted to aquire Nelson during the season, I'm guessing he'd be happy to add him now. Nelson had a terrific year, with a 2.00 ERA and 60 Ks in 54 innings. He would be a terrific addition.

I'd have no interest in Britton, he doesn't have the stuff he used to have, and I don't see him getting it back considering he is grossly overweight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

When I saw Daniel Cabrera's name, I was interested. However, I took a peek at his stats and realized why the O's set him loose. The guy isn't good, and there isn't really anything in his stats to suggest that he could finally put his game together. If Cabrera is on the team's roster, I'm less confident about the team's playoff chances.

Here is the actual non-tendered list.

Astros Ty Wigginton, 3B; Reggie Abercrombie OF.

Braves Chuck James, LHP.

Brewers Chris Capuano, LHP.

Cardinals Randy Flores, LHP; Tyler Johnson, LHP; Aaron Miles, 2B.

Diamondbacks Chris Burke, INF; Robby Hammock, C; Wil Ledezma, LHP; Jeff Salazar, OF.

Dodgers Mario Alvarez, RHP; Angel Berroa, SS; Yhency Brazoban, RHP; Scott Proctor, RHP; Takashi Saito, RHP.

Mariners Jamie Burke, C.

Marlins Joe Nelson, RHP.

Nationals Tim Redding, RHP.

Orioles Daniel Cabrera, RHP; Lance Cormier RHP.

Padres Clay Hensley, RHP; Charlie Haeger, RHP.

Phillies Scott Mathieson, RHP.

Pirates Denny Bautista, RHP.

Rangers Doug Mathis, RHP.

Rays Jonny Gomes, OF.

Red Sox Kevin Cash, C.

Rockies Jonathan Herrera, IF; Willy Taveras, OF.

Royals John Bale, LHP; Jairo Cuevas, RHP; Joey Gathright, OF; Jason Smith, IF.

Yankees Chris Britton, RHP; Justin Christian, OF.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...jsp&partnerId=rss_mlb

I think Scott Proctor is someone Melvin would be interested in. Throws hard and could possible bounce back after a poor year. The type of player Melvin always talks about in regards to the bullpen.

Daniel Cabrera has great stuff, but lacks control. Reminds me of Jaime Cocanower for people old enough to remember. If the free agent route doesn't pan out, might be worth an invite. Maybe a change of scenery would be of benefit to Cabrera.

Joey Gathright is someone that could possible interest Melvin. Centerfielder, good speed, but not much of a hitter. Really more of a 5th outfielder type, but with Melvin's belief that sometimes players with speed develop later, he might have an interest.

Edit: Didn't plan it this way, but if you click on the name of the team, it links you a story about the non-tendered list of players from each teams Website.

When I saw Daniel Cabrera's name, I was interested. However, I took a peek at his stats and realized why the O's set him loose. The guy isn't good, and there isn't really anything in his stats to suggest that he could finally put his game together. If Cabrera is on the team's roster, I'm less confident about the team's playoff chances.
The thing with Cabrera, is that he has terrific stuff, but has been unable to consistently harness it. I agree that signing him would be a huge risk, but his upside is just so tempting... Pittsburgh or KC would be dumb not to throw a little bit of money at him and try and parlay him into a deal later on.

As I wrote earlier, Cabrera does have great stuff and he really is a very tempting player. Living in the area, I've seen him throw a few times and if he could ever get some control, he has top of the rotation type of stuff. But, at 27 years old, going on 28 next year, he's at that stage of his career where if he doesn't turn it around in the next year or so, he won't reach his potential as a starter. He's one of those tall, 6'9 players who may always have problems with his control.
He's never really been tried as a reliever before, I wonder if at some point a team just might try to make him a reliever. He usually gets off to bad starts, so maybe it wouldn't work. But, at some point a guy with his stuff might be placed in the bullpen if he doesn't turn it around as a starter.
Also, another reason Joe Nelson would be an attractive player for the Brewers.
"The Marlins were offering about $650,000, and Nelson was seeking about $800,000.
A decent reliever who was looking for less than a million dollars. Probably would get more now that he's a free agent, but...

I Think Miles is pretty confined to playing 2nd base.

He's played 107 major league games at SS so he could fill in there occasionally. Any long term health issue for Hardy and you'd bring up Escobar anyway. He's got more versatility than Durham.

If you listened to Uecker every time the Brewers played the Cards, Uecker loves Miles and couldn't figure why the Cardinals platooned him with Kennedy.

I would love to see the brewers sign Miles. Living in St. Louis I watch about 80% of their games and I've always liked the guy. He can play pretty much any position(even pitch) and is a solid switch hitter coming off the bench. I don't have the stats to prove it so I may be wrong but it always seemed like he came up with a clutch hit.

Archived