Brewer Fanatic

Non tender possibilities

I was looking at a list of potential non tender possibilities and thought maybe the following players could be of benefit to the Brewers this up coming year.

Saito - If we are going with what looks like a bullpen by committee if we don't sign a legit closer, Saito although 39 and injury prone could be a nice pickup if he is not over used.

Gabe Gross - solid backup outfielder

Willy Taveras - horrible on-base percentage but great speed. Maybe a backup to Cabrera to cover our bases

Chris Burke - a utility player

Any others with potential?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am down with Gross as well. I like him as a 4th OF even though i think he could start if needed. Saito is interesting as well. i have no clue how he is recovering from injuries but if our payroll is nearing its limit he is worth a look

I'd take Gabe Gross back in a second. He would have been a fantastic platoon mate for Corey down the stretch last year. Plus he has World Series experience now, which is always a plus.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I didn't notice this thread until now but I brought up Tavarez in another thread. He had a pretty bad year last year but did have 2 decent years prior to that. To me Melky and Wily would be a toss up as both have advantages over the other

Also count me in for wanting Gabe back

If we trade for Melky and get Gross I would feel okay with our outfield. Gross could spell Hart if he goes into a slump and gives us what Melvin has said he wants. Good OBP and a left-handed bat. If we could find a third baseman who fits that bill as well I think we would have a solid lineup.

Weeks

I do not know who would hit here. Cabrera or 3b

Braun

Fielder

Hardy

Hart

Cabrera or 3B

Kendall

I wonder if Greg Dobbs from the Phillies will be available after the Ibanez signing. All the money we have could be used for pitching and we would have a very similar lineup to the one we started the year with and it did alright.

While I think Gross is a fine 4th-5th OF, I'm always perplexed at how many fans want former Brewers back every year.

I'm sure there will be a thread in 2 years when Russell Branyan is a free agent again that we should consider bringing him back again. lol

However, I think Saito and the Brewers could be a short-term bullpen match.

I have a feeling he'd draw interest for other teams though, including Jack Z's Mariners, who just lost their closer(Putz) via trade.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From: http://www.chron.com/disp...pl/chronicle/6159786.html

Third baseman Ty Wigginton, who drew some interest on the trade market, and righthander Brandon Backe are two Astros whom teams wonder if they'll be tendered contracts.

Yeah, seems like a good fit. Could play 3B right away, 2B later if Gamel or Green come up at 3B.

If we're talking about who you'd rather have as a starting CFer, I'd actually take Melky because of the enormous difference in defense. If we're talking reserve, it's Gabe for me.

You would think this, but UZR anyway disagrees. In his career, Gross is about 15 runs above average on the corners and -2 in limited time in center (all these numbers per 150 games). Cabrera is about -10 in center in his career and exactly average on the corners. This last year, though, Cabrera was average in center, so maybe he's improving.

It will happen WAY before 2 years.

Trade deadline.

Wiggington would be a good pickup. I'd consider Backe too. Daniel Cabrera, possibly the worst starting pitcher in baseball, may be non tendered. The guy used to throw 100 mph. Last year his velocity was down, presumably to help with his control. That worked for about 2 months, then he was back to walking batters. Still, could be a McClung type or possibly closer material.

You would think this, but UZR anyway disagrees. In his career, Gross is about 15 runs above average on the corners and -2 in limited time in center (all these numbers per 150 games). Cabrera is about -10 in center in his career and exactly average on the corners. This last year, though, Cabrera was average in center, so maybe he's improving.
Defensive metrics is actually an area where I'll trust my eyes over the numbers (although I do think defensive metrics do deserve quite a bit of merit). And in my opinion, from what I've seen, I'd take Cabrera defensively in CF any day over Gabe. I do think Gabe's defense is better than he gets credit for, but he's far from a natural CFer.

Chuck James might have been horrific in the major leagues last season but had a 2.92 ERA in 87 minor league innings while pitching w/ an injury. He had shoulder surgery, and apparantley was pitching w/ the injury the past 2 years while trying to avoid surgery. He is expected to be back around the all-star break, he could be a huge buy low candidate, kind of like how the Cards got Chris Carpenter.

In 465 minor league innings he had a 2.24 ERA and a 1.02 whip. He also has had some major league success before last season.

Why is Wiggington not viewed with more value than he seems to have?

He posted a .876 OPS last year in almost 400 at bats. Overall the last three years, he's been a .800 OPS hitter or better and while he does hit lefties better than righties, he's hit righties at a very solid clip. He hasn't been like Hall where he can only hit lefthanded pitchers.

Is his defense terrible? What am i missing with Wiggington?

Chris Britton could be a good signing by the Brewers to come out of the bullpen. He has closer stuff and I would rather have him at closer than Villanueva and McClung and use those two in the higher leverage situations.

Archived