Brewer Fanatic

Phillies sign Ibanez - 3 years and $30 million

GoudaBrew
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Poor front office work by the Phillies. The only way I'd have wanted Ibanez at $10 million a season was if he would be if he was converted to 1B. His defense is really bad in the outfield. Probably worse than Burrell. He costs the team a first round pick - and they compound it by not offering arby to Burrell and blowing two high draft picks (or if Burrell accepted, they'd have had him for a one year deal, which I feel was the best scenario for Philly). Perhaps the Phillies are planning on trading Howard in the next year - in that case, Ibanez would (I assume), be an acceptable 1B. I always thought that if the Crew traded Fielder, that Ibanez could have been considered as a replacement.

Interesting rip on RBI's when you look at splits: Burrell last year hit .283 with risp before the all star break and .177 after

Ibanez hit .300 before the all star break with risp and .358 after.

So Ibanez got hot and Burrell tailed off. Sitting close to the owners of the Phillies I saw the owner get so pissed at Burrell in a game he played horrilby in the field and at the plate. I could tell they were fed up with him.

Here is how the numbers broke down:

Burrell:

Prior: 19-66 33 rbi's .283

After: 11-62 21 rbi's .177

Ibanez:

Prior: 27-90 38 rbi's .300

After: 29-81 44 rbi's .358

Say what you want with rbi's but a second half difference of .358 vs .177 when the owner is pissed at you sticks out and simply put if Burrell hit what Ibanez hit in the second half @ .358 for the same rate of RBI's he would have doubled his hit total and RBI total and knocked in 21 more runs. But he didn't!

So you are going to base how good a player is on half a year of a small sample of his ABs? Just makes no sense to me. RBI has almost nothing to do with how good either of these players are, RBI are a situational ability that relies as much or more on other players than on yourself.

So you are going to base how good a player is on half a year of a small sample of his ABs? Just makes no sense to me. RBI has almost nothing to do with how good either of these players are, RBI are a situational ability that relies as much or more on other players than on yourself.
No I based it on sitting four seats away from the owners and see their discust in how Burrell was playing. Ender you can look at the entire year if you want to base it on something but to see an owner flip out is very interesting.

No I based it on sitting four seats away from the owners and see their discust in how Burrell was playing. Ender you can look at the entire year if you want to base it on something but to see an owner flip out is very interesting.
It's interesting, but does it really have any bearing on talent and projectability? It seems like pretty much every review of this signing has it looking like one of the worst of the offseason.

Archived