Brewer Fanatic

Brewers select RHP Eduardo Morlan in Rule 5 draft

yoshii8

Morlan is a former Twins prospect sent to the Rays in the Matt Garza trade. He spent 2008 pitching for the Montgomery Biscuits in the Southern League, and posted a 3.64 ERA in 47 relief innings (30 appearances). He's spending the winter pitching in Puerto Rico, where he's posting a 2.77 ERA in 13 innings. He'll only be 23 on Opening Day, so the Cuban righthander still has some time to put everything together, but he doesn't seem like a likely candidate to make the Brewer bullpen out of spring training.

Care of Brewcrewball

but he doesn't seem like a likely candidate to make the Brewer bullpen out of spring training.

He has to. Or we have to offer him back to TB for $25K

Hardly seems like a drop in the bucket of today's multi-million dollar guaranteed contracts... teams throw away a lot more than that buying out options nowadays.

Anyone know how long those $25K/$50K rules have been in effect, and if MLB has made any recent statements why those numbers haven't been increased to parallel recent hikes payrolls? Thanks.

From Keith Law's chat on ESPN a few hours ago:

Corey (Chicago): Keith, What am I missing? The Rays are looking for help in the pen but leave Morlan unprotected?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif Keith Law: Velo down, out of shape, throwing poorly in winter ball. I was fine with it.

Also, a tidbit on the Brewers options should they not be staisfied with Morlan this season:

Nate (DC): So if you take a player in the Rule 5 draft, what exactly does that mean?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif Keith Law: You have to carry him on your major-league roster for all of 2009, or return him to his former team for $25K (after he clears outright waivers). He must spend at least 90 days on the active roster, and if he doesn't, the requirement carries over to the next year.

Law's quote on him not throwing well in winter ball is surprising considering his numbers were good across the board. Now the velocity questions and the weight questions could very well be true but to say he was pitching poorly seems wrong.

BA described him as throwing 92 in winterball, so he's not really a hardthrowing reliever anymore, he just was one before he got fat. He certainly seems like he'll fall in line with Melvin's other rule 5 picks. The only one who contributed anything was Enrigue Cruz, who was awful in his 1 season in the bigs, was eventually dropped from the 40, then successfully traded for Brian Shouse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

You are forgetting Jeff Bennett, who was pretty good for a back of the bullpen guy
I didn't forget him, he just wasn't any good. He was the kind of guy you work to replace. You don't try to aquire a back of the bullpen guy, you try to aquire middle of the bullpen guys, and the ones that are cold/dont work out end up at the backend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

There was ample talk up here in "Twins Territory" (their marketing slogan) that including Morlan in the Young/Garza/Bartlett trade was a move the Twins would end up really regretting. On the surface it looks like that promise is still there and definitely worth a $25K Rule 5 look-see to be sure.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
We lost Lou Palsmo - alas, our catching woahs are not solvdd...
Good for him. He was stuck as a 2nd string AAA catcher right now anyway. Of course, had he been the one that solvdd our waohs, he could have been starting at MLB last year. We are still looking for a MLB catcher, but I think Salome and Lucroy will do it. Granted both Kendall and Miller were much better options than we have had for a while (although stop-gaps).

I suppose that means that Rotino might be the AAA backup if he doesn't make the MLB and clears waivers.

Archived