Brewer Fanatic

Cameron for Melky Cabrera? Nick Swisher?

NastyTwig
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hughes is not going anywhere unless he is part of a deal for a top player. I think a deal will get done, both GM's are just trying to get the maximum value they can out of it right now. My guess is that the brewers will get a second player in the deal, and not have to give up any money. That player will not be someone like Kennedy, and certainly not Hughes. An example would be the Brewers getting McCutchen, and Cabrera for Cameron.

ESPN Radio just reported the deal dead, according to my friend.
Adam McCalvy classified the deal as "delayed", according to a Milwaukee official

One Milwaukee official characterized talks as only "delayed," and expected them to pick up later. But progress was not likely on Thursday because Yankees GM Brian Cashman left the Bellagio on Thursday morning to travel back to New York. Doug Melvin's Brewers contingent was scheduled to leave later in the day.
Brewers.com Story
Follow me on Twitter

Thanks for the props TLB http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm just glad that this one isn't done as a 1 for 1 deal...just didn't seem right to me...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

A Yankees official told me the deal was "not dead," but that he believed talks wouldn't resume for a few days if they do at all.

There were several permutations of this deal discussed. The Brewers would pay some money if the Yankees would include a young pitcher, such as Ian Kennedy, along with Cabrera. The Yankees didn't want to include Kennedy without getting another player in return, such as Bill Hall, who they view as a super-utility type who could back up all infield and outfield positions. They also tried to include Kei Igawa in the deal, but the Brewers told them they weren't interested in Igawa.

http://www.nj.com/yankees...ewers_trade_in_peril.html

Also said the Brewers were "incensed" when the Yankees asked for money. Can't blame them, if I was Melvin I would've ended all talks now and in the future immediately after the Yankee$ asked for money.

I dont think this deal one for one is a good one for the Brewers, but its not an awful one.

The reality is that if it is one for one or even Cabrera + lower level prospect, the Brewers get younger and cheaper, they dump $10mm off of the payroll, they pick up a LH bat and pick up decent CF defense.

Cameron was nice, but he wasnt a world beater, and Melvin is insane if he thinks he can get a top pitching prospect along with Cabrera in this deal. If Cameron were still 30 he could.

As far as Hughes goes, he may not be going anywhere, but to the top of the Yankee rotation also isnt one of the places he is going. His velocity is down, he is injury prone and he is had an unspectacular AFL stint. I wouldnt want him anyway.

I really don't consider Kennedy a top prospect, either. Just a young one that is ready to contribute at the MLB level immediately, which is what the Brewers are looking for. I can sort of get behind the deal if the Brewers have something in the works for a corner OF bat and want to clear the money for it, but I don't like it if the plan is just to plug in Cabrera for Cameron.

If DM could get Kennedy and Cabrera AND shed Hall's contract, that's a big win in my book. I could live with Corey in CF if we could then sign Dunn. I could also live with Melky in CF if corey were to be traded for young pitching. That deal would allow DM a lot of flexibility payroll-wise as well. I really don't see the downside.

The deal is back on,

Las Vegas - After a morning hiccup created by the Yankees' request for the Brewers to pick up some of centerfielder Mike Cameron's salary, the sides are back on track to complete a trade that would bring centerfielder Melky Cabrera to Milwaukee.

Asked about the likelihood of that trade now happening, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin just said there was "a strong possibility it could still happen."

So, perhaps as early as tomorrow, the deal could be completed, with perhaps a second player coming back to the Brewers from the Yankees. Melvin said the financial aspects of the deal had been settled but talks continued on a second player coming from New York.

The sides were unable to complete the deal today because Yankees general manager Brian Cashman and his front office group left early to head back to New York. Melvin said he reached Cashman via telephone while he was at the airport here and it was agreed to resume talks tomorrow.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

Wonder is this means the Brewers agreed to pay part of Cameron's salary for another player in return.

Agreed. I'd like a Cameron + Hall for Cabrera + Kennedy swap if it lays the groundwork to add some payroll elsewhere. Sign Dunn and Fuentes and trade for Beltre (would a couple decent, but not top, prospects get it done?) and we're looking pretty good for around $90mil.

Lineup: Weeks, Hardy, Fielder, Braun, Dunn, Beltre, Hart, Kendall

Bench: Rivera, Lamb, Iribarren, Cabrera, Nelson

Rotation: Gallardo, Parra, Kennedy, Suppan, Bush

Bullpen: Fuentes, Riske, McClung, Coffey, Villanueva, Stetter, Swindle

Cashman is being introduced to the term "nugget".

Do the Yanks have any serviceable SP prospects in AA or AAA who could provide some protection the big league club (ala Zack Jackson)?

2nd thought: I haven't had time to read all of this or the other thread concerning this deal, but shouldn't this deal be Cameron for Kennedy, with Cabrera as a possible toss in? From the Yanks perspective, Cabrera was going to be a reserve OF at best and their getting an All-Star caliber rental in return. How the hell does this team continually turn everything, even basic arguments of value, in their favor?

I guess to me, whatever we get for Cam is a plus because I really feel he was signed only to try and bring back CC.

But much like Cam comes with CC, Melky comes with Cano - those guys are roomates and more or less Brothers.

I'm once again a bit afraid the trade will be Cameron for Cabrera and AAAA fodder.
I'm not sure why people thought we'd get Cabrera AND Hughes or Kennedy for a $10M 36 year old 145 strikeout hitter.

I'm hearing from fans in New York that it might be JB Cox or Kevin Whelan, which I'd be more than happy with.

I think Melvin is looking more for a starter type than a reliever like J.B. Cox, or Kevin Wheelan. Probably the prospect would be in between Wheelan, and Kennedy. Some starting prospects that the yankees have that could interest the Brewers are Daniel McCutchen, Jeff Marquez, and Humberto Sanchez.

Tom Haurdricourt was on the Homer's show and said that there is a 99% chance that the deal gets done, I believe by tomorrow. Actually, it was slightly more than that, but basically feels the deal will get done.

He's believes that if it's a straight up deal, then the Brewers won't include money in the deal. But, if the Yankees add another player, then the Brewers would add some money to the deal. Also, that other player would probably be a mid level type of prospect.

Said the Brewers think Cabrera has "tremendous potential", but then later said it may be a one year type of thing as the starting centerfielder as Lorenzo Cain may be ready to become the regular centerfielder by 2010. Whatever the case, it sounds like Cabrera will be the starting centerfielder next year.

Homer brought up a rumor about Prince Fielder possible being traded to the Yankees and Haudricourt said that Fielder will not be traded, at least this year. However, that was his own belief. Said a few other things as well, but that was those were the main things he said about the Cameron/Cabrera deal.

I'm hearing from fans in New York that it might be JB Cox or Kevin Whelan, which I'd be more than happy with.
Interesting. Whelan has much better stuff, but Cox has better control. If we had the choice I'd probably take Whelan.

Archived