Brewer Fanatic

Cameron for Melky Cabrera? Nick Swisher?

NastyTwig
Hopefully this one dies right where it is. Cameron for Melky is not an even trade and for the Yanks to want us to pick up ANY of the contract is ridiculous. Seems like the Yanks think they can just bully other teams in to what they want. I can't really consider moving Cameron a salary dump when he's only signed for another year. He's easily worth that 9.5 mil. It'd be a different story if he was under contract for 2-3 more years, but for one year I don't see how trading him for inferior talent makes us better now or in the long run.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just tell the Yankees to pay all of Cam's salary and throw in another 20 mil back to us. It worked for CC.

Seriously though, I think we need to find a way to grab either Kennedy or Hughes. We need young pitching more than anything right now.

Seriously though, I think we need to find a way to grab either Kennedy or Hughes. We need young pitching more than anything right now.
Kennedy would be nothing more than a Dave Bush type of a pitcher. Hughes would cost more in paying of Cameron's salary than Kennedy though.

Kennedy would be nothing more than a Dave Bush type of a pitcher. Hughes would cost more in paying of Cameron's salary than Kennedy though.
I would take a guy who will turn into Dave Bush for Cameron. Bush was 29th in NL in ERA and was 5th in WHIP. Those are decent numbers for a back-end of the rotation guy. He definitely has his struggles but I would take a Dave Bush type and Cabrera for Cam any day of the week.

Kennedy has some great minor league numbers- 1.99 ERA 0.97 WHIP

Bush had some higher numbers in the minors - 3.36 ERA 1.14 WHIP

Even if Kennedy was just slightly better... wouldn't we all take another (slightly-better) Dave Bush?

It makes more sense for Cash to try and force him in there. It probably went down like this:

BC: So you're looking for a pitcher in return if you pay for some of Cameron's contract?

DM: Yup.

BC: Well... we'll give you Igawa. I'll send the paperwork to Bud.

DM: But I didn't agree to anything.

BC: You don't have to. We're the Yankees. Everyone wants what we have and they take it when we offer it.

DM: I don't.

BC: You have to.

I think you can fill in the rest.

http://www.prosportsdaily...deal-not-done-182058.html

"I just talked to members of the Brewers traveling party and they said the Mike Cameron-for-Melky Cabrera deal is not done, despite reports it has been completed.

This isn't saying that it won't get done but apparently something has snagged it that could blow it up. Either the Brewers don't think they're getting enough back for Cameron or the Yankees want them to eat some of Cameron's $10 million salary.

How could the Yankees bid against themselves for CC Sabathia, increasing their offer from $140 million to $161 million, then ask the Brewers to eat some of Cameron's contract? If that's what's happening, you can imagine the Brewers' amazement and frustration.

And, apparently the Yankees' interest in getting the Brewers to add third baseman Bill Hall to the deal has gone nowhere. I heard New York was trying to get the Brewers to take back Japanese lefty Kei Igawa, who is owed a bunch of money and was such a flop that he was sent to the minors last year.

Igawa is owed $4 million in each of the next three seasons. He has gone 2-4 with a 6.66 ERA in 16 games since the Yankees signed him, so you can see why the Brewers weren't interested."

Look, Melvin only picked up Cameron's option because he didn't want to irritate Sabathia. He knew the Yankees had an interest in Cameron so he gambled. Otherwise, he probably would have let Cameron walk and explored other, cheaper CF free agents (ie: Kotsay).

Cashman is smart enough to know he's got Melvin in a box. He also knows that in a market where guys like Abreu, Ibanez, Bradley, etc are still looking, that $10 million is a lot to pay Mike Cameron.

Don't fool yourselves. Melvin is in a box. He wants a lefthanded OF bat. The only other way to get one is to deal Hart and get involved with some lefthanded corner outfielders. That works in theory but not if you're already paying one outfielder $10 million and you need available money for pitching.

What a garbage trade. Melvin isn't stupid enough to deal Cameron for Melky. If he is, then he deserves to get fired.

Ok, I really hate to beat a dead horse. I know it's been mentioned several times. But it's not Cameron for Melky. It's Cameron for Melky + 9.5mil. (assuming no other players or cash is involved).

Since Melky Cabrera sucks and is an equivalent to Tony Gwynn Jr. with slightly more power, it's like Cameron for $10mm. Now if we declined the option we were guaranteed to not have to pay Cameron the $10 million if that was the ultimate goal. Instead the Yankees want us to pay some of the contract and take a complete garbage replacement as the player coming back. This is just a bad overall trade and Melvin looks like he tried to gamble and got beat by the Yankees who can live without Cameron.

Rp

Melvin has leverage in this JB. If he doesn't get a good offer for Cameron... Well gosh he'll just hold on to a good center fielder for one year. He's not going to trade a good player for a guy just because that guy happens to be left-handed (switch hitter, whatever). The Yankees need to make this trade a lot more than the Brewers do, so Melvin should just be patient.

10 million for an above average center fielder is really not bad at all, in fact I think that is a fairly good deal. The Brewers are not going to be able to replace Cameron's production through free agency, and Cabrera is certainly not as good as Cameron. If the Brewers do not get a deal that is fair they have no reason to trade Cameron. Also Kennedy is much better than most are giving him credit for, I do not think Kennedy will be in the deal, unless the Brewers send something else their way.

Look, Melvin only picked up Cameron's option because he didn't want to irritate Sabathia
How would you know that? You're trying to pass off a theory as fact.

He also knows that in a market where guys like Abreu, Ibanez, Bradley, etc are still looking, that $10 million is a lot to pay Mike Cameron
And again you list a group of corner OF/DH types that do nothing to help NYs hole in CF.

He wants a lefthanded OF bat. The only other way to get one is to deal Hart and get involved with some lefthanded corner outfielders. That works in theory but not if you're already paying one outfielder $10 million and you need available money for pitching.
Wouldn't Hart be dealt for pitching? The team had $20 million available for CC, but doesn't have $10 million available to sign a lefty hitting OF if Hart is traded? Now I agree this scenario is a longshot because Melvin would have to actually make a trade offer instead of waiting for a team to make an offer to him, but its still plausible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If Antanasio was willing to up the payroll to allow Melvin to offer a 100 million dollar deal to Sabathia, I am sure Melvin would get the ok to get Peavy at 50 million over 3 years. Peavy would in my mind anyway qualify as a special case. It does not matter though because Peavy is not going to waive his no trade clause to come to beautiful Milwaukee.

If Antanasio was willing to up the payroll to allow Melvin to offer a 100 million dollar deal to Sabathia, I am sure Melvin would get the ok to get Peavy at 50 million over 3 years. Peavy would in my mind anyway qualify as a special case. It does not matter though because Peavy is not going to waive his no trade clause to come to beautiful Milwaukee.
This isn't 100% correct. Peavy would come to Milwaukee but he would get a full no trade clause and his option would be picked up for his final year.

Melvin has leverage, he can just keep Cameron or shop him to other teams. Afterall, Cameron is a much better player than Melky and has only one year left in his contract at a reasonable price. Having Cameron back for the 09 season is not a bad thing.

The Yankees on the other hand do need to upgrade their CF as their current options are terrible. It certainly won't be easy for them to trade for a good CF and the FA options are not that good. Melky currently has very little trade value in the marketplace, despite the delusions of the Yankees.

Archived