Brewer Fanatic

Cameron for Melky Cabrera? Nick Swisher?

NastyTwig
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For whatever reason, Cabrera's numbers over the last 3 years are far better when he leads off. It's only 254 ABs over the last 3 years, but he's put up a .291/.372/409 line leading off over this time. I assumed he'd be hitting in the 7 hole, but ya never know

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I think everyone's too quick to assume this is a 1 for 1 deal - when the sources saying so are ESPN-related, it's always a good idea to pause and revisit the story several hours later, after team sources give their input to someone that doesn't have to come up with a story full of assumptions before the morning sportscenter wraps up. Keep in mind Buster Olney was a Yankee beat writer, and just posted what is essentially an obituary of the Brewers on his blog.

Shoot, if the money issue the Brewers are willing to pay in this trade is key to how good an arm they get in addition to Cabrera, pay Cameron's salary and tell the Yankees to give them Hughes along with Melky.

I actually like the deal. Paying Mike Cameron 10 million is silly. Even if it's a salary dump, we get a differnent kind of player who plays good defense, doesnt cost us much and has nice upside still.

Cameron's obscene strikeout rate hurt us as much as his HR helped.

Since part of this seems to be the Yankme's making CC happy, why not load on this trade.

A. Cam, Hall, $2M for Cabrera & Kennedy

B. Cam, Hall, Riske, $2.5M for Cabrera, Kennedy, & Hughes - admittedly uneven; feel free to add an extra player and/or money on the Brewers side to even this out

Cameron's obscene strikeout rate hurt us as much as his HR helped.

Oh no...here comes the whole....strikeouts dont hurt argument again. I am as against Cameron in this lineup as anyone, but if this is straight Cameron for Cabrera, I think its a terrible trade. While his defense is good, it cant be as good as Cameron's. And his offense, minus the K's, certainly isnt as good. When I first this, I thought...no way can it be a straight up deal like that. Maybe the Brewers are trying to load up the NYY's payroll so they decide not to sign Sheets.

Would everyone still be as upset if the Brewers used the 9.5M in savings from this deal to try to resign Ben Sheets?
That would be good news! I guess it's important to remember Doug doesn't do deals in a vacuum. One move makes begets another.

Would everyone still be as upset if the Brewers used the 9.5M in savings from this deal to try to resign Ben Sheets?

No -- I think everyone is saying that if we are moving Cam to give us more salary flexibility -- that would be awesome.

Throw in some Horsey sauce, and most rational people would accept Arby's from just about anyone.

I think that is Advanced Business 101. -- Never turn down Arby's.

Keeping Cameron for a year and getting his draft picks in 2010 brings more talent than Cabrera.. If its Hall and Cameron for Cabrera it would at least make sense.

I don't see how the Brewers would've offered Cam arby, so I don't think this is relevant. Edit: shoulda read the whole thread. Sorry.

How about expanding the deal to this?

Yankees get: Cameron, Hall, $$$, top prospect besides Gamel/Alcides

Brewers get: Melky, Robinson Cano, and Alan Horne

Play Cano at 2B (bats lefthanded), move Rickie to CF, and make Melky a 4th OF (what he should be), plug Horne at AAA for pitching depth

Use any money saved on Free Agent SP or 3B (until Gamel is ready).

Lineup:

CF Weeks

2B Cano

SS Hardy

1B Fielder

LF Braun

RF Hart

3B Free Agent/Lamb

C Kendall

For this other arm, who would be upset if it somehow became a Cameron for Melky/Edwar Ramirez trade? When I did watch the Yankees last year, they seemed to only use him in a mop up role. I think this guy has the stuff of a closer. I would gladly take Hughes/Kennedy but what to you guys think of Ramirez?

We still owe Hall $15 over the next two seasons.

Yankess owe Cano $25 over the next three seasons.

I think I'd make that switch.

Additionally, there is no way in he-double L that we are getting Hughes in this deal. They wouldn't even trade him Johan Santana!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use any money saved on Free Agent SP or 3B
There are no FA 3Bs of relevence left. Of starting pitchers available to the Brewers, the list is Oliver Perez, Braden Looper, Freddy Garcia, Paul Byrd, injured Brad Penny and other even lesser scrubs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived