Brewer Fanatic

Cameron for Melky Cabrera? Nick Swisher?

NastyTwig

I'm not particularly enamored of Swisher, at least for the Brewers. The Brewers have enough defensive problems on the infield that I'm not particularly interested in downgrading the outfield defense as well. I just don't see the upside to this particular trade. And, frankly, I'm willing to wait until the trade deadline with Cameron if there's not a trade that clearly helps the Brewers now. Especially since at the current stage I don't think there's a lot of pitchers on the Brewers staff that are consistent "bat missers".

I also think you have to take into account that the Brewers can still be contenders for the playoffs in 2009, depending on what they do to fill out the starting rotation. Unless there's a dire financial reason to do so, I really don't see the marginal cost difference between Cameron and Swisher offsetting the marginal win difference. Especially considering how valuable marginal wins are for a playoff contender.

Robert

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder, Cameron was a type B player this offseason, so we would probably be forgoing a sandwich pick if we made this trade as well.

Straight up, Swisher for Cameron, is intruiging - but I might want one more minor piece or some money if I we're to agree to it.

Any cost savings the Brewers get next season gets negated and then some in the following 2 years. If Swisher doesn't rebound like alot of you think

-->

Any cost savings the Brewers get next season gets negated and then some in the following 2 years if Swisher doesn't rebound like alot of you think

Updated that for you as well.

Just a reminder, Cameron was a type B player this offseason, so we would probably be forgoing a sandwich pick if we made this trade as well.

They would have to offer Cameron arby after next season, which I don't think is a definite thing, especially if he shows signs of decline in 09.

That's surprising to me, because everything I've ever heard has Swisher as a very good defensive first baseman. He has been very good in right field though, and he'd just be a fallback option at first.

Of course over the next three years it has Fielder as a monster.

Not sure how relevant this really is because nobody has suggested trading Fielder for Swisher. All that was mentioned is it would give the Brewers more insurance to trade Fielder at some point if the Brewers wanted to.

Archived