Brewer Fanatic

Cameron for Melky Cabrera? Nick Swisher?

NastyTwig

Davego. #444,

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't continue to progress or at least stay the same. They are young enough to indicate that they have all the promise in the world to succeed more so than what they've already shown.. Cameron is a key cog to the defense and a key to the club house as well. All we need is 1 o2 more left handed bats and the Cameron K effect will be hardly focused on because of the amount of offensive output he does present. Good move by DM in not dealing him.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to have Cameron on the Brewers for 2009, you only trade him if we are completely out of the playoff race by the trade deadline. I agree he is completely valuable at 10 mil for 2009 but it isn't at all definite that you trade him at the deadline this season.

JBriggs, what's the difference between losing 70 or 80 in 2009 if you're better off for 2010?

Mike Cameron is already a type B free agent so if he has a year similar to last years he will stay a type B and maybe might even reach type A status.

Trading Cameron for anything less than what we could get as a comp pick would be foolish and Melky and Kei wasnt doing it for me.

@WiscoSportsNut

If you're going to have Cameron on the Brewers for 2009, you only trade him if we are completely out of the playoff race by the trade deadline. I agree he is completely valuable at 10 mil for 2009 but it isn't at all definite that you trade him at the deadline this season.

JBriggs, what's the difference between losing 70 or 80 in 2009 if you're better off for 2010?

I don't know if you are refrencing my post or not but either way I agree completly. If we are in the race we would be foolish to deal him at the deadline. I am just operating under the assumption that the team as constructed today isn't a playoff team considering the layout of the central and the rest of the NL - hence I think he probably gets dealt by the deadline. I know we will still make some moves and anything can happen in the regular season but taking an objective look I just don't think this team is a contender considering we needed, in my opinion, the best pitcher in baseball and a Mets collapse to go last year.

Good lord, Briggs. I'm almost surprised you still cling to your irrational distaste for Cameron.

"Up until this point"... by which you mean December 17th, and Melvin has 'missed out' on a whopping one FA of any real value to us -- one that he had no realistic chance to re-sign.

This team could lose 90 next year as presently constituted.

The sky is certainly falling in your post.

Yeah, but the problem is that they need at least one starting pitcher, a closer, and maybe another bat for the lineup

I don't think that we need a closer. Our bullpen is probably about as good right now as it was last season. If Melvin can add another reliable arm, we really would be strong there. I agree on the desire to add another bat & SP. Melvin did say early this offseason that he felt trading for a SP was the likely route, but I'll continue to hold out hope for Randy Johnson.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TLB, I guess I should have clarified. As long as they add at least one decent, reliable arm, I would probably be OK with the bullpen going into next season. I almost wish the Brewers would abandon trying to have a regular closer, and just "close by committee", or whatever you want to call it.

Tom Haudricourt made the point last night on Homer's show on 540 that Melvin will probably be waiting for a while to make any moves, since after the big guys sign, there are probably going to be a lot of bargains out there. Many of these non-superstar types aren't going to get the money they are expecting, due to the economy and everything else. So, we probably just need to be patient...it could very well be until after Christmas or New Year's that we start to see the Brewers making moves.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Only issue I see (other then the $10 million I suppose) is how you add a LH bat to the everyday lineup w/o moving someone. Maybe the 'Crew just doesn't but Macha discovers that you can PH for position players in the national league.

Mike Cameron is already a type B free agent so if he has a year similar to last years he will stay a type B and maybe might even reach type A status.

Trading Cameron for anything less than what we could get as a comp pick would be foolish and Melky and Kei wasnt doing it for me.

That's only assuming that the Brewers offer him arbitration, which is far from a given considering it's a year out.

Only issue I see (other then the $10 million I suppose) is how you add a LH bat to the everyday lineup w/o moving someone. Maybe the 'Crew just doesn't but Macha discovers that you can PH for position players in the national league.
Pinch hit with who? Tony Gwynn?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This team could lose 90 next year as presently constituted.

JBriggs can you provide the rationale for why the team that went 90-72 in 2008, & lost 2.5 players of note that had positive value (obv. not having Gagne's 'production' can only help things) -- Sheets, Torres, Sabathia -- is going to lose 18 more games? I'm not sure if that kind of rationale exists.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If the team had gone out and signed a guy like Cameron for 1 year and $10 million, some on this board would be doing handsprings saying "Finally! They are opening up the pocketbooks!".
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Great, spend $10 million on a guy worth half that thinking you can deal him when you can't. There's no sugar coating that as that was the plan and he failed.

This isn't anywhere near the truth and I assume you know it and are just trolling at this point.

I'm so glad Melvin's walking away from this thing. It stunk from the beginning and only got worse. Lets keep Cameron. I bet he's a type B free agent, and maybe we can pry a second round pick for him, though that's a bit of a long shot I admit.

I don't mind seeing this deal going down the drain, but I did like the idea of freeing up some cash in order to acquire another quality SP. If the planets stay perfectly aligned, I think the rotation (as presently constituted) can work out just fine, but . . .boy . . . if anybody gets hurt or seriously slumps . . .

I don't know why the Yankees would have any interest in Gwynn, when they already have Melky. I could definitely see Gwynn being moved this off season, but I bet it will be to a team slashing payroll like the Padres (though that seems like it would make too much sense to ever happen).

The 2 things that I liked about this trade are

1. I think it showed that Melvin is willing to deal almost any player if a team comes to him with a reasonable offer. At the very least he will give a counter offer.

2. If he doesn't get a deal favorable to the Brewers he will walk away from a deal.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived