Brewer Fanatic

Cameron for Melky Cabrera? Nick Swisher?

NastyTwig
What exactly do the Brewers see in Igawa?

Perhaps SP depth? When is the last time the Brewers made it through the season with only 5 pitchers starting games. Igawa as a #6 SP at say $2M/yr has some value for the Brewers. Currently, who would be their #6 SP?

I'm not saying I'd expect great things from Igawa. But, he's only pitched 71.2 innings in the majors. Odds are that he's better than what he's shown thus far in the majors, and probably worse than what he did in Japan and last season in AAA.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless he has some big deal waiting on his freeing up the money, Melvin really needs to back away and tell Cashman he can go into this season with Cabrera as his CF, a boatload of young pitchers that will never see new Yankee Stadium and a $161MM pitcher that doesn't really want to live in NYC and now won't have his best friend to chat with.

This seems like Melvin feels he has to trade Cameron, and it doesn't seem to me like he does. Even with Cameron, we should still have plenty of money to pick up a SP (Johnson / Smoltz) on a one-year deal and shore up our BP and bench. Pick up a couple of AAA SP on minor league contracts for insurance, and go into the season with Villy as your closer, Lamb/Hall as your 3B and basically the same offense that got us to the playoffs this year. Cashman needs to do this deal at least as much as Melvin. If he's unwilling to deal, tell him to take a hike. Call back when you're ready to deal a better pitcher.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I really hope we don't do a salary dump without something else somewhat big up his sleeve for that money..

Maybe one of the reasons the Brewers seem ok with taking Igawa is that they've got somebody that they're close to signing and need to free up cash ASAP?

No that $4m won't be cheap. That's more than what Vargas cost and he was cut because of it.

True, but you are shedding the 10 million for Cam. So, aren't we still coming out with 4 million in space in the deal?

If Igawa is really useless, then you pull a Vargas on him.

If Melvin takes on Igawa at full salary its really questionable if he or Kenny Williams was the more swindled by Cashman this offseason.
Swindled....

http://pics.forecaster.ca/mlb-player/6837.gif

R.J. Swindle

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I really have no use for Melky Cabrera, but I'm all for trading Cameron if we can bring back some useful pitching in the deal. That said, if Kei Igawa ends up a Milwaukee Brewer I might lose it. Unless the Yanks are paying ALL of his salary, he has no place here.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Normally I would tell myself that no sane GM would trade Cameron for Cabrera and take on Igawa's contract. There can't be any truth in the discusions.

Then I think back to last season signing Gagne, trading Estrada for Mota, and the signing of Suppan and I think to myself, Melvin has thrown a lot of good money after bad players before what is to stop him now.

Archived