Brewer Fanatic

Wood to Cleveland - 2 Years

steve267268

I read that Fuentes wants "somewhere between" Wood and K-Rod's contract. So basically he's looking for 2-3 years at around $11MM per year. Apparently St. Louis is one of the front runners to land him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This doesn't seem like a bad deal for Cleveland, at least considering the infamous Gagne deal. You don't like to give a guy as injury prone as Wood more than one year, but at least it's only 2. Last year was his first mostly healthy season since 2003 and he pitched 44 innings combined in 06-07. If I was Cleveland I might have preferred 1 year at $12-13 million with a team option for $10 million, but Wood probably insisted on that 2nd year being guaranteed.

Bad risk for Cleveland. Not only injury prone, but inconsistent. Plus, no Marmol to set him up and bail him out. They will get one good year from him before the arm woes return. Dougie must be looking at a trade (BJ Ryan?), because we have little chance at getting Fuentes. The Brewers do not have a young arm ready to take the role, so is McClung or Coffey gonna be our closer? Better not be planning on Julio..........

I gotta say it is a good risk as well. Only going 2 years is a huge advantage and $10M isn't overboard for closer prices.

Just to add I'm still not a believer in Marmol. He has a career BABIP against of .243 and is an extreme flyball guy. That BABIP will creep up and he'll put more guys on base and then those HRs will start to hurt him more. He won't be bad or anything but I'm thinking a 3.50 ERA is more likely than a 2.50.

Archived