Brewer Fanatic

Putz/Jeremy Reed/Sean Green to the Mets, Heilman/Endy Chavez/Mike Carp/Franklin Gutierrez to Seattle, Joe Smith/Luis Valbuena to Indians

ELCABALLO45

I didn't really want Putz, but that's one less guy out there. Are the Mets planning on signing Kerry Wood and Trevor Hoffman too? I can't imagine Putz will be too happy about being K-Rod's set up guy.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Maybe I am not familiar with some of the prospects involved, but that seems like an awfully good deal for the Mets. People here were talking Fielder for Putz, and the Mets basically traded the equivalent of Tony Gwynn Jr, Seth McClung, Brad Nelson and some other guys - who again I may not be that familiar with, but still. I wish we could pull a deal like that.

Carp seems to be a decent 1B prospect, but otherwise, it's a pretty underwhelming haul for Putz in Jack's first trade.

Maybe he just had an itchy trigger finger to make that first trade or something. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well, Putz and KRod definitely help out that weak BP. I'm pretty sure I'd want those two over Julio and Coffey. My faith in DM is still ever present, but I'm getting quite ill with his continued belief that we can rely on the left overs. Go get Fuentes or make a deal for Jenks.

Putz straight up for Heilman is not a clear win over the last 4 years statistically, add in the other players and this is one of those moves which looks great during the off season but might not be a big deal in season.

Man, a lot of action tonight. Is it good or bad that we haven't done anything big yet with all that extra cash sitting around?

personally, i kinda like it. Nothing stupid, we already made a major gamble on CC and while i'm happy with the results and would do it all over again without a doubt, it's time to stock up on talent and continue to look long-term. Every so often we'll have the opportunity to add a big name and make a run but it's probably not the time.

Putz has only had 2 good years out of 5. Still, I don't think it's a great trade but it's ok considering that Gutierrez is allegedly the best defensive outfielder in MLB, which Gwynn is most definitely not.

To be fair to Putz, i believe he pitched through injuries last year and the prior two seasons he posted WHIP totals of .92/.70, he was dominant. I don't follow Seattle though so i don't know how much exactly his health issues affected him.

Carp seems to be a decent 1B prospect, but otherwise, it's a pretty underwhelming haul for Putz in Jack's first trade.

Maybe he just had an itchy trigger finger to make that first trade or something. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Or, maybe he's just not that great of a GM yet. While i don't really want to judge based off of this one trade, he's off to a rocky start. Needless to say, i expect the "we should have promoted Jack to GM" talk to die down pretty quickly now that we realize he's mortal.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

If Putz can maintain his health this certainly is a one sided deal. But I like 3 of the players Jack got. Sure they're depth guys, but you gotta start somewhere. Heilmann could do with a change of scenery. Endy and Guieterrez (sic) are high effort guys and athletic enough that I'd like to have them in my clubhouse. I wonder if Franklin would be a better CF than Melky Cabrera?

Well, Putz and KRod definitely help out that weak BP. I'm pretty sure I'd want those two over Julio and Coffey. My faith in DM is still ever present, but I'm getting quite ill with his continued belief that we can rely on the left overs. Go get Fuentes or make a deal for Jenks.
Could not agree more. I am fine with the occasional scrap heap reclamation project, but I think it's going to be difficult to compete with an entire bullpen of cast-offs and a potentially wobbly starting rotation.

Archived