Brewer Fanatic

Brewers talking to Texas about Padilla and Millwood

dpapo

MLB.COM is reporting that the Brewers are talking to the Texas Rangers about Padilla and Millwood. Ironically enough, the Rangers are looking to get trade one or both to make salary room for Ben Sheets.

"The Brewers, having lost C.C. Sabathia, are looking for starting pitching and have talked with the Rangers about Vicente Padilla and Kevin Millwood. The Rangers are interested in trading one of the two and create salary room for Ben Sheets."

http://hotstove.mlblogs.c...ewers_chat_about_pit.html

No mention on what the Rangers are looking for. The odd thing is that prior to the start of the meetings, the Rangers were looking to trade hitting to get pitching. They have already traded Laird and were talking about trading one of their outfielders, so I really have no clue what the Rangers would want in return. I believe Padilla is due to make 12 million and Millwood 11 million next year. Seems odd that they will be looking to trade pitching to be able to sign pitchers, which seems to be the one thing they are looking for.

I don't see a match with the Brewers and the Rangers. It is tough to really gauge what the Rangers need. They have Hamilton, Salty, Teagarden, Ramirez, Davis, Kinsler, and Young. They Rangers don't need catchers that is for sure. OF maybe a question mark with Hamilton, Cruz, and Murphy?

I don't see what the Brewers could offer to the Rangers other than a relief pitcher for Millwood or Padilla. If there is a match with the Rangers I don't see it. But if there is a trade maybe the Brewers could get Murphy also and have him replace Kapler as the 4th OF. Murphy is a left handed bat and is about the equivalent to Kapler.

I don't really get this deal at all, the Rangers need more pitching and neither guy is someone I'd do flips for... this is kind of a meh deal to me. I hope this was just exploratory... as in whom would each team be willing to move. If they want to acquire pitching from Texas they should target Neftali Feliz as I've been coveting him for a while now.

edit. I would hope that we'd acquire someone on Yo's level or better to slot in front of Parra, not someone vastly more expensive who would slot behind him, Parra is where I have my bar set.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Rangers probably just want to get rid of the money which is why they want to trade them. Padilla can be replaced for much less money with Free Agency, because he is a poor pitcher. I would however not mind aquiring Millwood for the right price. Millwood seems like a good candidate for a turnaround with a change of scenery, for that matter any pitcher would improve when leaving the Rangers and that park.

Millwood has had a high ERA the last couple of years, but other than 2007 his other numbers have stayed consistent. Millwood hardly ever walks people allowing 2.5 walks or less in 3 of the last 4 years. His highest HR/G number with Texas was .98, which is saying something in that ballpark. I know alot of people do not like the FIP stat, but other than 2007 his highest FIP in the last 5 years was 4.07 in 2008. I think if we were to aquire him you could reasonably expect an ERA in the low to mid 4's, with a decent amount of innings. I cannot imagine he would cost that much to get either.

Just to clarify Millwood would not be my first choice. Say that the Brewers fail to get any of the better free agent options like Johnson, and Sheets, I would much rather get a guy like Millwood for 11 million, than waste the money on Garland, or Perez. Bottom line is the Brewers could do much worse things than trade for Millwood.

edit. I would hope that we'd acquire someone on Yo's level or better to slot in front of Parra, not someone vastly more expensive who would slot behind him, Parra is where I have my bar set.

What are you willing to give up to get that talent?

Millwood has been rumored on the market for a couple months already. Of course, Texas was also interested in Sheets. (My prediction in July)

I never believed the Millwood rumors. I am dumbfounded why you would trade away one of your best pitchers - when you are desperately in need of pitching!

Even the stupidity is bigger in Texas.

John Daniels has made worse moves. The Rangers do not have unlimited money so in order to pick up a guy like Sheets they need to clear salary. I agree that Millwood is not the guy to move in order to accomplish that, but the Rangers might think differently.

I wouldn't mind Millwood at all. He'd be a nice two-year solution for $23M.......way better than signing an Oliver Perez-type for $50M+ for 4 years.

Having said that, I wouldn't give them a prospect inside our top 10.

Padilla is a no-go for me.......he stinks and he's a jerk.

Hardy/Fielder could then possibly yield the starter being discussed in an earlier thread............controllable for multiple years.....a Greinke-type.

Edit: Millwood would have to accrue 161 innings for his 2010 option to kick in, so if he's hurt or ineffective, it's a one year deal........so that's a plus too.

Padilla's #s were slightly better last year, but Millwood's upside is much higher IMO.

What are you willing to give up to get that talent?

I've stated it many times, Fielder or Hardy would be fine by me, I believe in building from the SP on down. We have offensive talent in the system, we do not have any top of the rotation talent above A ball beyond Jeffress and he'll arrive just in time to push Suppan or Bush out the door. I'm not necessarily opposed to Millwood if we're discussing his production as opposed to other FA pitchers, but I'd rather not go the FA route at all. Again I'd rather spend money on bats and keep the rotation as young and inexpenisve as possible for all of the reasons I've explained at length in other posts.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not necessarily opposed to Millwood if we're discussing his production as opposed to other FA pitchers, but I'd rather not go the FA route at all. Again I'd rather spend money on bats and keep the rotation as young and inexpenisve as possible for all of the reasons I've explained at length in other posts.

I couldn't agree more with this........this is the way a small market team has to do it, because ptiching is just way too expensive. Hitters numbers are much more reliable year-to-year and therefore less risky.

Just say no to long-term FA pitcher contracts. Like, all of them.

I'd consider either Padilla or Millwood because whichever guy they'd give you would be a pure salary dump therefore shouldn't cost you anything of value in players. Padilla had a better year last year than Millwood and he's owed less overall with $12 million in 09 with an option for 10. Either Millwood or Padilla is likely to be a decent 3rd or 4th starter in the NL with an ERA in the 4.30-4.70 range. Not exactly Ben Sheets, but that's the situation they find themselves in.

Added rotation depth with no long term commitment is something the Brewers at least have to consider.

I have always liked Padilla, and since it would cost little to acquire him aside from salary, I could get behind that.
Me too. Padilla's contract is not bad, 1 year with a team option for 2010, and he's about 3 years younger than Millwood. I really think that Padilla's numbers will improve if he becomes a Brewer.

I'd potentially like Millwood in either a salary dump for a marginal pitching prospect, or a Millwood dump + affordable player of need/value for Bush. However, I'd need to see what the FA market dictates he's worth a little bit first. It may be better to sign a FA pitcher if the market is really soft.

I wouldn't have interest in Padilla unless they were dumb enough to swap his one year of junk for Suppan's 2.

Archived