Brewer Fanatic

Doug Melvin on with Homer

Says they've had discussions about moving Hardy to 3rd.

I hope they wait a year.

Did DM shoot down the notion of trading Fielder at all? Or did that not come up. Just curious to hear if that is an actual possibility.

Says they are going to pass on Hoffman.

Did he say anything about Fuentes?

Did not say anything about trading Fielder.

Said that Fuentes would be too pricey.

He also said that Rickie Weeks is still the 2nd baseman, citing his runs scored capabilities. Also, they are looking at inviting Gamel to spring training, but they have Hall and Lamb to cover 3rd if Gamel needs more time.

Melvin didn't say that Fuentes would be too pricey. Quite the opposite actually, as Melvin said they were currently discussing whether or not they should pursue Fuentes.

While I was a little bummed to hear that they wouldn't pursue Hoffman, I was happy to hear him say that Villanueva was a "sleeper" to become the closer. I still would prefer to see the team invest in a closer, as keeping Villanueva and McClung in more versatile and set-up roles would make the bullpen that much better. Given the state of the rotation, a stronger bullpen is going to be key.

You can hear the interview on ESPN Milwaukee's website (on the right-hand side):

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/

well my confidence about the 2009 season has just about gone down the toilet.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading that. Why wouldn't you at least look into Hoffman? I wouldn't think he would be too expensive. It's a long off-season though, so hopefully something comes along.

I think they're not looking into Hoffman because he'd really only be on a 1 year deal and they're going to punt the 2009 season and prepare for 2010. Of course they're not going to say that explicitly, but I don't think we'll see any expensive signings that can't also help us 2-3 years down the line. At this point, i'd be surprised if we saw any expensive signings at all. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I was just hoping they'd try to compete this year, which is not looking like it will be the case.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading that. Why wouldn't you at least look into Hoffman? I wouldn't think he would be too expensive. It's a long off-season though, so hopefully something comes along.
The Brewers did look into Hoffman. Melvin probably thinks that the amount of money and number of years wouldn't be a match for the Brewers in signing Hoffman.

If my memory is correct didn't Melvin say the same thing last year about this time of the year about payroll not increasing and that they were not going to be going after any free agents in the off season. Then about a couple weeks later the Brewers announce they have signed Eric Gagne to a 1 year deal worth $10 million.

Don't read into what Melvin is saying you don't really know what Melvin is up to nor any of the other GM's in MLB. This might just be a ploy by Melvin so he isn't showing his whole hand. The Brewers are going to sign someone or trade for someone this off season I have a funny feeling it will be a trade and then someone being signed to replace that player.

This offseason is looking like my worst fears realized.
look on the bright side, at least we won't have enough money to sign Jon Garland! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I'm going to try not to freak out because it is still early and one should never believe what Melvin says, but it's going to be tough.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Look at their rotation and look at ours. They have a solid 1-5. We have Gallardo and nothing much after that really.

Though you are being extremely pessimistic, I tend to agree with you. I don't love it, but the next year or two will probably be used to figure out what on the team now will take them to the next push for the play-offs. It is the most sensible course of action for their situation--unless of course, baseball would do more to change this.

But short of a rash of injuries, it's not going to be 2001 rebuilding, its gong to be more like 2007.

Look at their rotation and look at ours. They have a solid 1-5. We have Gallardo and nothing much after that really.

Though you are being extremely pessimistic, I tend to agree with you. I don't love it, but the next year or two will probably be used to figure out what on the team now will take them to the next push for the play-offs. It is the most sensible course of action for their situation--unless of course, baseball would do more to change this.

But short of a rash of injuries, it's not going to be 2001 rebuilding, its gong to be more like 2007.

I try to keep a positive outlook but I'm just being realistic...I mean Suppan is a 10-12 win guy at best and has really declined since arriving here it seems....Bush is an extreme guy by dominating or getting extremely lit up and McClung is a longer relief/short relief guy, he definitely isn't a starter. I'm confident that Melvin will bring in a guy or 2 though, no way he can stand pat with those 5 as our rotation. Parra is good, he basically needs a little more experience in the majors (and work on his wild pitches).

Alot of people including myself thought that Tampa had a pretty poor rotation after 1-3 spots. Regardless it is still very early, I am sure Melvin is not going to say exactly who he is going after. The only thing that you can say with some certainty is that we will not go after Hoffman. If Melvin was to say that our 3rd base situation is a mess, and he is desperate to get a new third baseman, what good would that do?

Yeah, `09's gonna be one where the doubters will pass the Crew off as a flash in the pan.

So everyone is freaking out because there is a good chance we will be well in first place entering September...only with a properly managed pitching staff?

There is a lot of off season left and even if no moves are made, we are in a position to compete. Enough with the sky is falling posts already!

A few points so far:

Says they are going to pass on Hoffman.

Says Villanueva could be potential dark horse for closer.

Says Defilice could be long man.

Says McClung could potentially be 5th starter.

Says they've had discussions about moving Hardy to 3rd.

He didn't bring up Hardy at 3rd, Homer did. Homer asked him if Gamel or Salome figured in the plans for 09. Melvin never mentioned Salome but did say Gamel had a chance this spring to win a job, but that they were covered with Hall and Lamb basically putting the onus on Gamel to prove he belongs in spring. He said earlier Hardy to 3rd was discussed but basically I gathered it was dismissed quickly.

Homer asked him if Defelice had a chance to start. Answer was no because he couldn't get lefthanded hitters out. Said Defelice might have a role in the pen but didn't specify. I took from it that Defilice is no lock to make the roster.

Melvin was not prompted to bring up Villanueva as a closer candidate. He brought him up, not Homer. Melvin said Villanueva's stuff compared favorably to Jeff Montgomery, the Royals closer for most of the 90's. He said he liked the way Villanueva has worked out of jams in the 7th and 8th innings and that it's sometimes as tough as the 9th. I got the impression that of the internal candidates, Villanueva is the guy even though Melvin called him a sleeper. Melvin said a flat no when Homer asked if Villanueva might start.

The other revealing part of the interview was that Melvin had no answer to who would bat 2nd. Homer commented that he thought it would be whoever they got back either in a deal for Cameron, or signed to replace Cameron.

Why wouldn't you at least look into Hoffman?

The Brewers did look into Trevor Hoffman:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35887119.html

I'm sure something came out of that meeting that caused Melvin to say he wasn't interested.

Melvin also said in the interview that they would pursue pitching via free agency first before they pursue trades, although Haudricourt spoke with Macha (noted in his blog) and Macha said the team was investigating a few trade possibilities.

My finger is inching toward the panic button, primarily because of the starting rotation. Oh, and the bullpen. And 3B. The perennial Rickie problem, too.

Otherwise, though, things look pretty good.

Way, way, way too early. We all have concerns. Anyone can make a trade. But it takes a smart GM to make the right trade and/or NOT make the wrong trades. It also takes a 2nd GM willing to do the dance.

It also takes the right FA and the right contract offer and an agent willing to make the right deal for his player to make a good FA signing.

I still go for the Cameron trade for pitching (Hughes, Kennedy) in return. I hang onto Bill Hall on account of his Lasik surgery. Hope for a rebound and sell high if a good deal comes along that's worth doing.

While many things won't happen, we're really only 1 month into the FA offseason and still have 2+ months 'til ST. That's about 70% of the offseason to go and little significant player movement yet throughout all of MLB on account of the slow-moving market of the highest billed FAs.

Archived