Brewer Fanatic

melvin make a comment in the JS

actually no i dont want him. he's overrated, had a couple good seasons so i'll gladly pass.

what should be done....get a bat and possibly another reliever. enlightened?

Well, they have to do something. They HAVE to. Just cause.

I think I was once told that activity does not equal achievement, and I can't think of anything that that saying applies much better to than baseball trades.

Get all the Jay Paytons and other trash players you want, but they aren't going to amount to a hill of beans in terms of actual team performance. The market for good difference making players is non-existent at this point, this is going to be an extremely quiet deadline.

I don't want to create problems, so I won't respond directly to any particular post. But, "just doing something" isn't easy. If it were that easy, then why wouldn't we keep doing something until we win? Why haven't we just kept trading the past 25 years - eventually someone would have made great players available to us, right?

As frustrated as I am with the team right now, I'm also realistic that there are never easy answers or fixes.

Whos says we're going for a Jay Payton type player? I believe the Cubs are the ones showing interest not us. A veteran with previous experience and success would be nice.

I'm not saying we need to do a trade just cause, thats just plain foolish. This team is obviously struggling big time and has been at a downward spiral for a decent amount of time. Just sticking with these players won't be getting us much farther. I'm sick of losing and I know you are two. The time should be now so lets not let what we had slip away.

Sounds good to me, but I haven't seen or heard many suggestions of experienced, proven bats or another RP being available to us (without giving up too much). And it's not just trading for one of those, but upgrading what we have already. I'm doubtful anything will come about by Tuesday. But DM has surprised us in the past!

Whos says we're going for a Jay Payton type player? I believe the Cubs are the ones showing interest not us.

That's kind of what I mean, though. That moves not going to do the Cubs any good, really, but they're in the mode of "we have to make trades". Then you end up overpaying for marginal players like Jay Payton (or whomever), because nowadays those are the kind of players that are available at the trade deadline.

I guess I disagree with the statement that the Brewers won't go any farther with what they have. I think they can and will, plus they also added Linebrink (and though I'm not a huge fan of the move) they have made what they feel is an improvement to a team that has been in 1st for the whole year.

I agree, Brett. While I'm as disappointed as anyone right now, the pieces are in place to win. It could very well be that youth and inexperience is catching up to them right now. I'd love for them to compete in 2007, but '08 and beyond are still very bright. (I think I'm repeating myself now.)

Sounds like a 3 way deal that they want to include the Brewers in. I still find nothing wrong with standing pat. I really don't see anyone coming in here and making us that much better. Either this team is good enough or it isn't. Two things that would make us instantly better would be a demotion of Weeks and a month off for Suppan.

"Two things that would make us instantly better would be a demotion of Weeks and a month off for Suppan."

I wouldnt mind a DL stint for soup but more then a month how about 3 years?

On another note I would take Dye I think. Cant be worse then Jenkins? Mench?

I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Hunter is having a career year, and I'd expect him to keep playing exceptionally hard. We'd probably move Hall to LF however, as Jenkins has been dreadful lately.

I do think that Hunter would provide some more spark to this offense which seems a bit dead on its feat (yes I know we've been scoring more runs lately)

Braun-Fielder-Hunter could be a pretty good trio.... and if Hart/Hardy can get things going at the top... Hall/Estrada/Graffy at the bottom

I really like Manny Parra.... but I make this deal if I'm Doug... Hunter is 2 guaranteed picks at season's end

mlbtraderumors.com says that it could be:

Red Sox get Dye

White Sox get Turnbow, guessing a prospect too

Brewers get Okajima

That's our lefty reliever and Linbrink replaces Turnbow. Doesn't bother me at all.

Torii Hunter isn't just any player. He's having a good season and his being in CF would allow the 2B issue to be settled for the rest of the year by putting Hall there. His insertion into the lineup would be a huge, huge statement.

Yes Parra is a high price, but consider too that Hunter will also bring back compensation picks if he signs elsewhere and who knows maybe the Brewers would make a run at keeping him.

Archived