Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Pitcher Thread

I wouldn't be against Cabrera, but for some reason he is reminding me of Rodrigo Lopez. Lopez was once highly thought of by the O's and was someone we had interest in a few years ago. They are probably nothing alike, but I can't help but think back to a few winters ago when we were contemplating going after another O's starter that they didn't want anymore.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...what's troubling to me is that we aren't hearing the Brewers pop up in any kind of substantive reports or even rumors, even. They seem to be talking with Randy Johnson right now, but that seems to still be a long shot at best, since he probably wants to stay on the west coast. Otherwise, they seem trapped in this standoff with the Yankees over Mike Cameron. I'm sure Melvin is talking with other teams and maybe a couple other free agents, but you'd figure we'd be hearing more by now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wouldn't be against Cabrera, but for some reason he is reminding me of Rodrigo Lopez. Lopez was once highly thought of by the O's and was someone we had interest in a few years ago. They are probably nothing alike, but I can't help but think back to a few winters ago when we were contemplating going after another O's starter that they didn't want anymore.
They really aren't alike. Lopez didn't throw real hard, but pretty consistently threw strikes. He also had 2 years of real success, albeit mixed in with 3 pretty crappy seasons. Since he's always around the plate, and doesn't throw very hard, he can get hit pretty hard. He's coming back from TJ surgery. He's someone I'd give an NRI to for Spring Training.

Cabrera is a big guy who throws hard and has no control. He walks a lot of batters and has games where he can't find the plate. Last year he had lost some velocity. At the beginning of the year it looked like the loss in velocity improved his control. At the Break he was 6-5, 4.33 ERA. After the break he returned to the same bad habits. Still, he's been durable the last three seasons, and would probably be OK as a 5th starter. With a new team he may improve from that.

I am surprised that Derek Lowe is being overlooked. Sure, he is 35 but for the past 7 years he has averaged over 33 starts a year, over 200 IP and has only had one bad season. He has great WHIP numbers, good ERA + numbers and the fact that he is a sinkerball pitcher as opposed to a power pitcher gives me less concern about tiring out.

I'm not sure what he is asking for, but the Brewers could get him for half of what they were offering Sabathia. He would be a nice pressure release for Gallardo being a young #1, and would be a great buffer between two power pitchers in Gallardo and Parra and a very solid #2 starter.

si heyman

A Sports Illustrated story lists the Brewers first among four teams interested in Oliver Perez if the Mets don't retain him.

• The Mets and Boras seem far apart to start on free-agent pitcher Oliver Perez, so their chances to retain him appear remote for now. The Brewers, Dodgers, Reds and perhaps Mariners are seen as potential suitors for the talented but inconsistent young left-hander.

Perez is interesting. Id really like to see the Crew take a shot on Daniel Cabrera - as I think this guy has stud Closer written all over him. So many times these wild guys just make lights out 9th inning men - I would think there is room for BOTH Perez in the rotation and Cabrera as a closer/setup guy. I also wouldnt mind seeing Gagne come back as a setup guy/closer if he shows he is back. No more than 2 Million on a 1 year deal for Gagne though. Give him a shot to return to dominance.

What is the fascination with Cabrera. The guy has never shown the ability to throw strikes and I doubt he ever will. I would be willing to give him a minor league deal but I wouldnt guarantee him anything. As far as making him or McClung the closer thats a huge mistake. A closer must be able to throw strikes and these guys dont.

. A closer must be able to throw strikes and these guys dont.

I guess my opinion is that many closers are "wild". At the end of the game you have to remember that when the closer is in the ballgame, the pressure is on the HITTER. He is losing. If a pitch is close I think they are probably swinging. I think a little wildness to a closer is a good thing. Especially when the ball is coming 96 MPH - Look at CoCo - so many of his pitches were out of the zone but hitters couldnt help themselves.

I don't see why, given the guys we have now penciled in as starters, that we should be any different/better than the Royals/Pirates in terms of "giving Cabrera a shot" at starting. Seems to me, it wouldn't be hard for him to pitch better than how Bush pitched the first couple months of the year or as Suppan and Parra pitched the last couple months of the year.

If a closer can't throw strikes consistently and control his stuff, he won't be closer very long.

at some points during the last two years of Turnbow, I think he would have blown saves/leads if the opponent simply headed to the plate without a bat.

Difference between Coco in 2007 and Turnbow - Coco would pound the strike zone to get 2 strikes on the hitter, then continually fire his fastball/slider combo towards the outside corner, causing many hitters to chase balls out of the zone. When he wasn't getting ahead in the count hitters spit on those pitches.

According to Bill Ladson the Nationals have signed Daniel Cabrera to a one year contract. With Cabrera, and Olsen the Nationals have some pitchers with potential finally, although I would bet against either of them panning out. Cabrera would not be the ace the Brewers wanted but he could have provided some depth, I am not upset that we lost him though.

I am concerned however about the market, there are still plenty of pitchers available, but the top pitchers have strong ties to other orginazations. Johnson is a california native, and is rumored to love the Giants, Derek Lowe is just about a lock to sign with the Red Sox, and John Smoltz with the Tigers, and Braves. If the Brewers fail to get any of those pitchers at a fair price, I think we would be better served going after a couple of cheaper pitchers like B.Penny, or maybe even P.Martinez. Anyone but Perez, or Garland.

I like Wesrob's idea. Smoltz, if he would accept it again, could be a dynamite closer. And Sheets...needs to swallow his pride and come back to the organization that knows him best. 2/$29M, with a mutual option third year that can become a player option with certain escalators for 18-20M.

Big Unit for me too, although I'm intrigued as to how cheap Smoltz will be after his most recent injury. Is it wrong for me to want both http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif?

Randy Johnson makes a lot of sense from a marketing perspective as well, as he is nearing 300 wins, I imagine that alone will help fill the seats. Plus he's a "big name"player that will likely come rather cheaply. Sign me up!

What would be a competitive offer to Johnson and Smoltz. I was maybe thinking 1 year 10 million for Johnson. And maybe 1 year 5 million for Smoltz. Am I far off?

Archived