Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Pitcher Thread

Considering how next season is starting to look like, I need something to make me feel better. Still, Colon seemed to pitch rather well in a limited stint with the Sox and getting Pavano out of NY may work wonders for him. I guess we could see what Wes Obermueller is doing?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Brewers didn't offer Sheets arby you'd think that Sheets must be seriously injured right? Well the Dodgers didn't pick up Penny's option despite having to pay $2m to buy him out on an $8m contract. A healthy Penny at a marginal cost of $6m is a great deal. The fact the Dodgers said no, if even to just trade Penny, means that Penny's health is highly questionable.

endaround, I know what you mean by the comment. Look up Pavano's injuries and some of them are just plain strange. Maybe he's accident prone or maybe he wilted underneath the NY spotlight, thats what I was intending to convey, my apologies for not being more specific.

For Wolf, I'd only offer a one year deal + one year team option max, three years is too risky for me and could turn out bad like the Suppan contract.

I think maybe people underestimate the motivational power of the contract year to many players. it has driven guys like Burnett and Sheets to work harder and pitch a lot more innings this year as compared to their previous years. Since his last contract year in 2005, Burnett didn't even pitch close to 200 innings unitl this year. Since his last contract year in 2004. Sheets didn't even pitch close to 200 innings until this year.

It's often good to have expensive players in their contract year, as they will be working hard for their next contract unless they plan to retire.

I agree, but I don't think he would sign for less than two years guaranteed...he was pretty good for the Astros this past season (granted, it wasn't a huge length of time). I think he'll be looking to get three years somewhere.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would love to see the Brewers make a lot of cheaper, high upside moves.

If we could sign both Smoltz and Johnson I would feel really good about our rotation. Yeah, these guys will unlikely be as good as they were in the past. Smoltz could move to the bullpen if coming out of the rotation doesn´t work for him.

Maybe also look into Pedro Martinez and see if he would be willing to come out of the pen on a cheap deal.

It´s thinking outside the box, but perhaps we could get some really solid production for not a lot of coin that way.

I doubt we can get Smoltz. Johnson, I think we could but we might have to beat the top bidder by a million or two. Martinez I have no interest in and doubt he'd come here anyway. Wolf I'd maybe take for three years at 7 million per, but I wouldn't be too thrilled about it. Moyer........I doubt he'd come here and not sure what I'd offer. Just not sure on him.

This thread to me sounds too much like the old brewers. I don't see the point of spending 6-10 million per year (this may be low) on someone like Randy Wolf or taking a big risk on a retread pitcher who is a big injury risk. This seems like the method of a team that doesn't even think they can contend. I would rather go all in after a good pitcher than do another deal like Suppan's. Maybe if we sign one high level pitcher, I would take a flyer on someone like Colon as depth only.

This thread to me sounds too much like the old brewers. I don't see the point of spending 6-10 million per year (this may be low) on someone like Randy Wolf or taking a big risk on a retread pitcher who is a big injury risk. This seems like the method of a team that doesn't even think they can contend. I would rather go all in after a good pitcher than do another deal like Suppan's. Maybe if we sign one high level pitcher, I would take a flyer on someone like Colon as depth only.
Here is the problem with that there are only Suppan like pitchers left in free agency that can be signed to long term contracts. Penny, Johnson, Smoltz, and others are what the Brewers should be looking at. Short term contracts for players looking to rebound from an injury or an off year. Everyone else in free agency should be a big NO to go after.

I'd be interested in Smoltz, but more as a closer than a starter. Has he stated his preference for next season? He has prefered starting in the past, but that was before this major shoulder injury. Fewer innings at this point might be better for his arm, and he could be a fantastic closer if he's close to healthy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

You can take Jaime Moyer off the list as he resigned with the Phillies on a 2 year deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...otstove2008&fext=.jsp

I know there's still lots of time, but I hope Melvin starts making some moves before there's nothing left worth going after. If you look at the list of pitchers Melvin mentioned, Moyer is gone. Johnson seems to be leaning towards other teams. Wolf seems to be asking for too much at the moment and he's been linked to other teams, more than Milwaukee. Haven't heard too much about Smoltz, though who knows what he has left and if he can stay healthy. Have to also think that Penny might be an option at this point as well, but he has his own question marks as well.

And he still has to find someone to close games. Still early, but I wish they would start making some moves to improve their pitching.

Still early, but I wish they would start making some moves to improve their pitching.
It really seems as though the pitchers who are coming off the board are pre-disposed to certain cities and certain situations (Moyer with the Phils, Johnson wants to get a deal done with SF, Smoltz has Detroit ties). I don't want another situation where the Brewers have to overpay for another Suppan-type...

According to the baltimore sun eleven teams contacted Daniel Cabrera, with one team offering him a multi year deal. One would have to imagine that the Brewers were likely one of those teams. I just hope we were not the team that offered him the multi-year deal. I would not mind picking him up on the cheap, because he has loads of potential. A multiple year deal just seems too risky.

It seems the brewers might just be better off with leaving the rotation alone. We should not waste Money on the 40 year old pitchers or trade anymore of our prospects. Let the young arms carry the team.if the brewers do sign a veteran then get Hoffman

What's the story with Brad Penny? Is his arm completely fried?
Not sure... but others (including endaround) have pointed out that the Dodgers didn't even bother making an arbitration offer. If there wasn't sizeable risk, why not offer arbitration?

I also would like to say that without that consideration, I think targeting Penny would be a great idea for the Crew.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How much would he have cost in arbitration though. Perhaps more than they wanted to spend since they are trying to sign Manny Ramirez to a big contract. If I was the Brewers, I'd at least look at his medical records or offer him a physical. That seems like a pretty standard thing before signing a guy anyway. If the arm is clean, sign him on the cheap. If it isn't, take a pass.

It wasn't arbitration, it was an option that they had to buyout. It would have been $6m more to keep Penny if just to trade him. Which means the Dodgers were afraid they couldn't get $6m of value out of Penny either because he won't pitch enough for them of he wouldn't pass a physical for a trade.

It wasn't arbitration, it was an option that they had to buyout. It would have been $6m more to keep Penny if just to trade him. Which means the Dodgers were afraid they couldn't get $6m of value out of Penny either because he won't pitch enough for them of he wouldn't pass a physical for a trade.
Whoops... thanks for the correction end
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived