Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Pitcher Thread

Let's hope Melvin is lying because this is an incredibly deep FA pitching class. Any pitcher the Brewers trade for is likely to cost $10m in salary (Bedard is like $9m) plus talent. Yeah if you can get Millwood from the Rangers for squat that's great, but I doubt its going to happen.
Deep in quantity, end, but not deep in the type of quality you'd spend big FA bucks on. I'd take Sheets back and would gladly take Randy Johnson, even at a slightly inflated price. I'd take Penny, too, if the deal and his health condition are right enough to make a deal justify the level of risk involved.

I've typed it elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here: I'd give serious consideration to a package of Putz, Morrow, and another strong young pitcher for Fielder. Might not have to add much on the Brewers' side, especially if they took on Bedard in lieu of a 3rd younger pitcher (salary coverage plan addressed by split responsibility with more contract burden based on the degree to which he performs).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's hope Melvin is lying because this is an incredibly deep FA pitching class. Any pitcher the Brewers trade for is likely to cost $10m in salary (Bedard is like $9m) plus talent. Yeah if you can get Millwood from the Rangers for squat that's great, but I doubt its going to happen.
Deep in quantity, end, but not deep in the type of quality you'd spend big FA bucks on. I'd take Sheets back and would gladly take Randy Johnson, even at a slightly inflated price. I'd take Penny, too, if the deal and his health condition are right enough to make a deal justify the level of risk involved.

I've typed it elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here: I'd give serious consideration to a package of Putz, Morrow, and another strong young pitcher for Fielder. Might not have to add much on the Brewers' side, especially if they took on Bedard in lieu of a 3rd younger pitcher (salary coverage plan addressed by split responsibility with more contract burden based on the degree to which he performs).

This FA class has 3 #1 guys in Sabathia, Burnett and Sheets and then you have Johnson and Lowe at #2. Thats more talent than you ever see at one time.

From Melvin's daily briefing today as it relates or could relate to free agency,

*Free agents Ben Sheets and Brian Shouse.

"We'll let our guys go out and see what they can get (on the free agent market)," said Melvin.

Melvin reiterated he has no plans to make an offer to Sheets, who is being courted by Texas and the Yankees.

"I think he's going to be OK," said Melvin.

*Pitching needs

"We probably need, ideally, one of each (starter and reliever)," said Melvin. "It's whatever becomes available that fits for the right price. We're looking free agency first. The trades are tougher."

*Free agent pitcher Randy Johnson

The Brewers are interested but the problem with that pursuit is that Johnson prefers to play on the West Coast, and teams such as Oakland and the Los Angeles Dodgers have shown interest.

"We've inquired about him," said Melvin. "We fit four of the five criteria he's looking forward. The one we're missing is location, the West Coast. We won't give up on it but we haven't made any offer."

*Free agent relievers Trevor Hoffman and Brian Fuentes

Melvin met with Rick Thurman, the representative for both closers. Melvin told Thurman he wouldn't pursue Hoffman but left the door open on Fuentes.

The left-handed Fuentes, 33, is looking for a deal better than the two-year, $20 million offer Kerry Wood got from Cleveland and there has been brisk action on him.

"We're in conversations with a lot of teams right now," said Thurman, who said it was "definitely possible" that he'd hear back from Melvin.

St. Louis has made no bones about making Fuentes its top priority on the market.

*Available funds

Melvin has said many times that the $100 million he offered CC Sabathia would not be rolled over to another big-ticket free agent. But he did say some of that money was available to pursue pitching help.

"We've got some flexibility to do things," said Melvin. "But one person isn't going to replace the six (free agents) that we lost."

*Chris Capuano update

Friday is the deadline to tender contracts to players for next season. The Brewers are expected to non-tender left-hander Chris Capuano, who sat out the 2008 season after undergoing reconstructive elbow surgery.

Capuano had a $3.75 million salary and teams are not allowed to cut pay by more than 20%. With Capuano's status for the start of next season in question, it's highly unlikely the Brewers would commit that kind of money to him.

Assistant general manager Gord Ash said a decision had been made on Capuano but wouldn't divulge it. One likelihood is that the Brewers would work out a lesser deal with Capuano with incentives should he return to regular action in 2009.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35937804.html

I heard an intervew with Melvin on I believe WSSP and it does appear that Capuano is going to come back to Milwaukee. So, the decision on Capuano is to bring him back, but they are still working on a contract.

This FA class has 3 #1 guys in Sabathia, Burnett and Sheets and then you have Johnson and Lowe at #2. Thats more talent than you ever see at one time.
I agree, it's way strong at the top. I just don't agree with it being deep in sure-fire quality after those top few names.

But 5 is huge number-Suppan was a top 5 guy in his class.

Totally agree. At 5, though, that high-end quality still doesn't spread past at most 5 teams, and at least 1 is guaranteed to be the Yankees in most any year.

Most of the rest of the guys out there I'd be very cautious at best about, whether in terms of interest, dollars, years, or a combination of all of those things.

In his latest blog Tom talked about who the Brewers were looking at terms of pitchers. Looks like we are talking Randy Wolf, Randy Johnson, Jamie Moyer and John Smoltz. I am intrigued by both Johnson and Smoltz. I know they both are old but they would not be long term contracts most likely each one year.

Moyer is certainly intriguing, and has really flown under the discussion radar here after a really nice 2008. Smoltz could be interesting as well, and depending on how the Brewers' view his arm strength, could potentially be a starter or closer, I'd think.

Johnson isn't a big surprise either considering what we've heard already.

Just sign Sheets already. Enough of the over the hill stiffs like Moyer and injured guys like Smoltz. What is wrong with this organization. we were willing to pay CC which means we have some money to spend yet wont even make an offer to Ben Sheets who is as good as sabathia. Its about time Melvin wakes up unless he wants to be a bottom feeding organization again like the Pirates.

Enough of the over the hill stiffs like Moyer

That stiff put up a 3.71 ERA last year.

What is wrong with this organization. we were willing to pay CC which means we have some money to spend yet wont even make an offer to Ben Sheets

It takes two to tango, and it's been made clear many times over the last year that Sheets isn't real interested in coming back to Milwaukee either.

The only reason Sheets wouldnt be interested in coming back is because we havent shown him any love and respect. The fact that he was emotional after the season ended shows how much he has loved playing in Milwaukee and if Melvin would just show Ben some respect and tell him how much he is wanted and needed I am sure Ben would reconsider.

If you try harder you could get a post about signing Sheets into every thread on the forum....

It's pretty clear you think the Brewers are solely to blame for Sheets not coming back and the team won't be competitive, but is it necessary to post the same thing over and over and over?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The only reason Sheets wouldnt be interested in coming back is because we havent shown him any love and respect.

That's completely your assumption, not anything close to fact.

Other potential reasons:

He wants to play closer to home

He wants to try something different after 8 years

His wife doesn't like Milwaukee or Milwaukee schools for their now school age children

Prince Fielder steals his post-game sandwiches

etc.

I have no idea if any of the above are true or factors at all, but they and any number of reasons could just as easily be significant factors in his decisions- we have no way of knowing as none of us have knowledge of the situation first-hand.

If Smoltz's arm has fully recovered from surgery, getting him for one year would be very nice. And as many have mentioned, getting the Unit for one year would be really nice too.

For me, I'm not as keen on Moyer and Wolf. They are not as good as Smoltz and the Unit, and they are not worth the multi-year contracts that they are seeking.

For Wolf, I'd only offer a one year deal + one year team option max, three years is too risky for me and could turn out bad like the Suppan contract.

I think maybe people underestimate the motivational power of the contract year to many players. it has driven guys like Burnett and Sheets to work harder and pitch a lot more innings this year as compared to their previous years. Since his last contract year in 2005, Burnett didn't even pitch close to 200 innings unitl this year. Since his last contract year in 2004. Sheets didn't even pitch close to 200 innings until this year.

It's often good to have expensive players in their contract year, as they will be working hard for their next contract unless they plan to retire.

Colon, Prior, Pavano, Martinez are the most interesting to me. Although, Prior seems to want to stay in San Diego and Martinez has made comments about resigning with the Mets. Colon and Pavano would be great buy low candidates with potential huge upsides.

Colon, Prior, Pavano, Martinez are the most interesting to me. Although, Prior seems to want to stay in San Diego and Martinez has made comments about resigning with the Mets. Colon and Pavano would be great buy low candidates with potential huge upsides.

Potential upsides, but huge upsides is stretching things

Archived