Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia chooses the Yankees, 1050 ESPN Radio New York says 7 years $160 million

trwi7
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is all true, but he will play half of his games in NY vs. half of his games in LA or SF or MIL wherever in his heart of hearts he really wanted to be. That has to be close to 90 days when you include off days and the such. He will also play the other half of his games in the AL, where he indicated he would rather not have been in because he enjoys hitting. He will pitch a schedule that is more East Coast driven being in the AL East with unbalanced scheduling, rather than the West Coast in the NL West and unbalanced scheduling.

The spring training issue is irrelevant as he will be in Florida or AZ no matter what he chooses.

I was just saying, that the difference between 160 million and 100 million is negligible even if you were previously making $50,00 a year and living pay check to pay check or making 10 million a year for the previous 4 years. To make it sound like human nature is to sacrifice what you may really want to make an additional amount of money that in the end does not really matter isnt as true as Russ makes it sound.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
But it is human nature. Look at how many more lottery tickets get sold when the PowerBall gets over the 100 million dollar mark. As if all those people would be unhappy with a 3-4 million dollar jackpot. Some people can say they'd be happy with less, but not everyone. Apparently CC is not one of those people. But to say the difference between 100 million and 160 million dollars (60 MILLION dollars!) is negligible is just not true at all.

So Sabathia just had his press conference and then a question and answer session with some YES people. When asked about leaving Milwaukee, he said he had a good time but understood it was just a one year thing. That's news to me because I thought the Brewers had somewhat of a chance. I have to stop being so naive. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

CC's comments via Deadspin

Apparently, Sabathia was concerned that his adventures in Milwaukee last year were so incredibly awesome that Brewers fans would have had some unreasonable expectations for his performance were he to return. So in order to avoid the uncomfortable situation of being expected to deliver superhuman feats, he took the largest free agent pitching contract in history and moved to New York City.

""If I had gone back to Milwaukee, they would have been looking to me to win every single game. I expect to win every single game here, too, but there would have been more immense pressure there because they wouldn't have been able to put the pieces around me to help me win. I think I can get that here....

If I had went somewhere else, they would have expected me to do what I did the last second half in Milwaukee and you know that's kinda unrealistic."

Oh please, the guy pitched well for us. He was a class act and spoke well of Milwaukee and his time here. Can you honestly expect him to pass on 60 million dollars though? And when it comes to his talking about which team is going to compete for the World Series more, he's probably right. The Yankees are in the playoffs year in and year out. He will likely win a World Series with the Yankees one of these seasons.

People love to hate. It's like when a super hot girlfriend breaks up with you, you look desperately for reasons to dislike the person, because it takes a bit of the pain of rejection away. Doesn't mean that the girlfriend was a jerk, but it makes you feel better if you can think she was.

I don't wish him ill. He has every right to sign the best deal for himself, no matter the parameters. That said, if he chose New York "in order to avoid the uncomfortable situation of being expected to deliver superhuman feats", he's fooling himself.

CC, ya shoulda given Mussina a call before making your decision. He won more games in his 8 years as a Yankee than you have in your 8 major league seasons. And he's pitched way better in the post season than you have. But most Yankee fans think he's not a "winner" because he didn't win a ring.

I don't wish him ill. He has every right to sign the best deal for himself, no matter the parameters. That said, if he chose New York "in order to avoid the uncomfortable situation of being expected to deliver superhuman feats", he's fooling himself.

CC, ya shoulda given Mussina a call before making your decision. He won more games in his 8 years as a Yankee than you have in your 8 major league seasons. And he's pitched way better in the post season than you have. But most Yankee fans think he's not a "winner" because he didn't win a ring.

Whhaaat? I don't know what kind of Yankee fans you associate with, but that is not the majority opinion at all. Actually, whenever I see World Championships brought up with Mussina, it's fans feeling bad he didn't get one, not blaming him.

RyDogg66 wrote:

Apparently, Sabathia was concerned that his adventures in Milwaukee last year were so incredibly awesome that Brewers fans would have had some unreasonable expectations for his performance were he to return. So in order to avoid the uncomfortable situation of being expected to deliver superhuman feats, he took the largest free agent pitching contract in history and moved to New York City.

So to interpret, he thought it would be more pressure to play in Milwaukee than in New York? That has to be the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

""If I had gone back to Milwaukee, they would have been looking to me to win every single game. I expect to win every single game here, too, but there would have been more immense pressure there because they wouldn't have been able to put the pieces around me to help me win. I think I can get that here....
As much as I appreciate CC's efforts here in 2008, I think he has a point. I don't remember if I mentioned it on the forum or in face to face conversation with people, but I fully imagined parts of the Brewers' fanbase being noticeably disappointed (if not outright booing) if CC could "only" average, say, 5-6 innings per start in 2009.

I'm not sure I would have talked about that reason with the media if I were he, but apart from being at Miller Park on the same day a bunch of times last season, CC and I don't have a lot in common.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

can you imagine that?

CC's wife: "Honey, I really liked Wisconsin. Let's get a vacation house in Minocqua."

CC: "Dear, money is kind of tight right now. You'll have to wait till my next paycheck unless you want to take out a mortgage."

can you imagine that?

CC's wife: "Honey, I really liked Wisconsin. Let's get a vacation house in Minocqua."

CC: "Dear, money is kind of tight right now. You'll have to wait till my next paycheck unless you want to take out a mortgage."

That's pretty good, ewizabeff.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As much as I appreciate CC's efforts here in 2008, I think he has a point. I don't remember if I mentioned it on the forum or in face to face conversation with people, but I fully imagined parts of the Brewers' fanbase being noticeably disappointed (if not outright booing) if CC could "only" average, say, 5-6 innings per start in 2009.

I'm not sure I would have talked about that reason with the media if I were he, but apart from being at Miller Park on the same day a bunch of times last season, CC and I don't have a lot in common.

Yep who knows maybe Sabathia saw how Brewer fans treated Sheets. Maybe he saw how the Brewer fans would boo anyone at any time. If he got injured he would have been the most hated man in Milwaukee sports. Him not playing would be the lead stiry for weeks. Pavano not playing for the Yankees stopped being a story after a week 4 years ago.

That said he wanted to be the highest paid pitcher which is why he didn't resign with Cleveland to begin with.

Yep who knows maybe Sabathia saw how Brewer fans treated Sheets. Maybe he saw how the Brewer fans would boo anyone at any time.

I really think this is a valid question, end, thanks for bringing it up. Sheets and CC had plenty of opportunities to discuss their situations together over the past few months, so it wouldn't shock me if whatever the heck is going on between the front office and Sheets or whatever reason Sheets doesn't want to come back to Milwaukee had been discussed at some point.

So i just read this article from brewers.com. It made me laugh really hard, then made me a bit angry. So CC thinks that being in New York with the biggest ever contract for a pitcher will somehow take pressure off of him? Then, he has the nerve to say the Milwaukee would expect him to win every game and wouldn't be able to put the necessary pieces together to actually help him win? Yes, Wisconsin sports fans do tend to expect people to play to their contracts, but we absolutely loved CC. Unless he became a sheets and was always hurt, or had an ERA above 4 and couldn't win, I don't think he would have been run out of town on a rail. But if he even has an ERA close to 4, and misses so much as a start or two, New York will eat him alive. Good luck, CC. I guess it really is about the money. You didn't need to criticize our small-market team to justify your moneybags. You earned it. And everything that comes with it.

Could you provide a link to this provocative-sounding article? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I poked around brewers.com and did a Google News search and couldn't find it.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived