Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia chooses the Yankees, 1050 ESPN Radio New York says 7 years $160 million

trwi7

Haudricourt's latest blog has Melvin reactions. Basically, disappointed, but not surprised. Also,

"For the first time, Melvin confirmed that the Brewers had bid five years and "slightly more" than $100 million for Sabathia - the only other bid the big lefty received other than the Yankees' original six-year, $140 million offer.

And Melvin said it was "under serious consideration" to move the offer up to six years in his next meeting with Sabathia's agents before hearing the news that the deal was done with the Yankees."

Also,

"Melvin said Sabathia's agents wanted an "opt out" no matter which team he signed with, and the Brewers were prepared to offer one, also."

And,

"At least the Brewers can move on with plans to improve their club. Melvin said he didn't expect to bid on another free agent pitcher but obviously has to get at least one other starter somehow.

"We always felt there was a chance of losing him," said Melvin. "We'll go back to the drawing board. We've got some holes to fill."

Disappointing to hear that the Brewers don't expect to bid on any free agent pitchers. Not only do they need to get another starter or two, but they also need to get a closer.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were TeamCanada and I had any sense that the Yanks were pursuing Sheets after signing CC, I would bid hard against them. We need a starter, he's the best still available and it would (really) suck to see Sheets leave the Brewers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick (sandwich pick noted) and then have to give up one of our two best positions players to replace him. It just seems that our compensation is drying up real quick and it becomes to time make those big dollars work. I'd start with an offer of 2/31 with a incetive year @17 if he makes 56 starts in the first two. Ben's injuries have never scared me, it's his luck that scares me. And since I don't believe in luck, I'm willing to acknowledge unfavaorable circumstance and make the move.

Well, I can't say I'm completely shocked that he went with the Yanks--I'm not surprised at all he didn't come back to Milwaukee. I guess he didn't get what he wanted from the California teams, and managed to squeeze more juice from the Yankees in the process.

This is just one of those mornings where I hate rooting for a small-market team...when Big Ben signs elsewhere it's really gonna be a gut punch.

One step forward, two steps back...

While I for the most part agree with your sentiment, Hardy just made an appeal to Melvin not to trade him because he's "always wanted to be a Brewer." I say sign him up long-term and move him to third when Escobar's ready to step in. If you need to trade someone, use Hart, Cameron, Hall, Weeks, Fielder and prospects as your trade bait.
Why not sign JJ to a long-term deal, and keep him at shortstop?

So, an opt-out after 3 years $69mil? That leaves 4 years/$92 mil to walk away from. Seriously? If he ever exercised that clause, I would hope it would be because he's unhappy in NY and not because of the money. If it comes to that, then I think baseball may be on the brink of total collapse.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Haudricourt has updated his blog again and in his last blog he wrote the following,

"Melvin said he didn't expect to bid on another free agent pitcher but obviously has to get at least one other starter somehow."

Pretty much what Melvin has been saying for a while now, however in his latest blog, he quotes Melvin as stating,

"Melvin had said all along that Sabathia was a "special case" and losing him didn't mean he'd roll the $100 million over into an offer for another free agent pitcher. The Brewers were willing to have a higher payroll with Sabathia and stretch their budget.

"There's not a lot of starting pitching that I think we'll bid on," said Melvin"

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35871799.html

Has there been a change of minds or is that just Melvin speak.

So, an opt-out after 3 years $69mil? That leaves 4 years/$92 mil to walk away from. Seriously? If he ever exercised that clause, I would hope it would be because he's unhappy in NY and not because of the money. If it comes to that, then I think baseball may be on the brink of total collapse.
Splitting hairs here but my guess is that it would be back-loaded and the first three years would be around 20, 21, 22 per. Then he would be walking away from 4 years maybe 98 million... It will be interesting. If CC gets hurt that is a ton of money for the Yankees to pay for an ineffective or unavailable player. If CC gets a comparable offer from a CA team or for whatever reason after 3 years he walks, the Yankees just go ahead and sign another teams ace to that kind of money.

I think that we should just see the silver lining that the signing came relatively quick. There is still time to do other things and if DM stands pat, we are still going to be loaded with young talent both at the major league level and the minor league level after the draft.

Well they'd better do something, because if we go into the year with Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan, and McClung, I am going to ask if I can return my 20 game pack. I do give Melvin credit, he seemed to make a real effort.

This does just go to show though that in the long run, the deep pocket teams have a major advantage. I dont know how anyone could think a salary cap wouldnt help the game.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath.

The middle of our order will not all slump this year. We will trade for a starting pitcher, add a backup lefty OF or sign a lefty to start and trade the player he is starting over for SP. Those few moves will keep us competitive and able to compete for the division and the wildcard.

People seem to forget that 2 years ago we had the division all but wrapped up before our Ned-led Sept collapse. Last year, we had caught the Cubs before a similar collapse, and this was with almost our entire offense slumping.

Pitching was not the problem last year, it was our offense. Melvin will square that away, then add a SP via trade, and we will be in the same position as last year with better in game management.

Disappointing to hear that the Brewers don't expect to bid on any free agent pitchers. Not only do they need to get another starter or two, but they also need to get a closer.

Well, according to the Milwaukee Brewers' site, he either has met or is meeting with the agents for Wood, Fuentes and Hoffman, so I'd guess he meant there were no other FA starting pitchers he'd make an offer on.

Why not sign JJ to a long-term deal, and keep him at shortstop?

That's an option as well, but since Escobar is waiting in the wings, and will eventually be ready to take over, either he gets traded, JJ gets traded, or JJ moves to a new position, as Escobar's a better defender. I'm looking more at 2010 for this to be an issue rather than 2009.

Well, ARod opted out of the last couple of years of his $1/4 Billion deal and baseball's still rolling along. The way I see it is that CC now knows that if he pitches well, someone will sign him to a new 6 or 7 year deal when he's around 31 years old, guaranteeing him more money. If he gets hurt, or for some reason doesn't pitch well, he'll ride out the seven years on this contract. Deals like this are win-win for the player and his agent, but the team takes on a lot of extra risk.

Also, TLB, good post on the last page (I'm not going to quote it all here). I agree with you that I'd like to see the Brewers sign Dunn (I'd be just as happy with Abreau) and move Hart for SP, athough I'd guess that it's more likely that we make a trade involving Cameron and others for a younger CF / SP. His money will be used to sign Wood/Hoffman/Fuentes and we then start looking for a 3B via FA or trade. Bill Hall, if not traded, becomes the Super Utility guy he used to be so good at.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Assuming the Yankees don't sign Mark Teixeira, the Brewers will get the Yankees' first round pick. They will also be awarded a sandwich pick. This doesn't come from the Yankees; it is a round created by MLB between the first and second rounds.

What happens when a team doesn't sign their first round pick from the previous year? Do they get a sandwich pick or do they get that pick again in the next years draft? I only ask because I know the Yanks didn't sign their 19th pick from last years draft so they may have two first round picks. Would they then be able to sign Sheets and Sabathia and still give us two first round picks? I looked quickly on the interweb but didn't find anything regarding the rules and thought all the smart people here might know.

Thanks for the memorys CC. I will never forget this past summer and the joy you brought to Brewer fans everywhere and the City of Milwaukee.

I hope next time you come to Miller Park you get a standing ovation. You will be missed.

im glad we didnt give him that much money tho)

RRRRGGGHHRRGGGR. I was doing relatively well with the C.C. thing until a bunch of taunting texts and e-mails from Yankee fan friends over the lunch hour. In my moment of darkness, I wished Sabathia two torn rotaries and a bowel obstruction. I think that puts me on the Fifth Level of Brewers' Hell: Wrath, Sullenness and Chris Bosio. Sorry, CC. I take it all back. Another moral of the story? Don't have friends who are Yankees fans.

What happens when a team doesn't sign their first round pick from the previous year? Do they get a sandwich pick or do they get that pick again in the next years draft? I only ask because I know the Yanks didn't sign their 19th pick from last years draft so they may have two first round picks.

The Yankees do get a pick for not signing their 1st round pick last year. The pick they get this year for that is protected, it won't be lost as FA compensation. If the Brewers get the Yankees 1st round pick, it will be their normal pick.

RRRRGGGHHRRGGGR. I was doing relatively well with the C.C. thing until a bunch of taunting texts and e-mails from Yankee fan friends over the lunch hour. In my moment of darkness, I wished Sabathia two torn rotaries and a bowel obstruction. I think that puts me on the Fifth Level of Brewers' Hell: Wrath, Sullenness and Chris Bosio. Sorry, CC. I take it all back. Another moral of the story? Don't have friends who are Yankees fans.
As crummy as today's news is, last laugh will be on them, don't worry.

I hope Sabathia wins 30 games and the Yankees finish 62-100.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but how can they offer a player 60 million more than anyone else is bidding, and then turn around on the same day and ask the city of NY for 440 million funded through municipal bonds to help pay for their stadium?

It's getting really hard to be a fan of this game anymore when the playing field is so lopsided. Of the top 8 teams in terms of payroll last season, 5 made the playoffs. If the Mets hadn't choked down the stretch, they would have beaten the Brewers out for the WC and that would have been 6 of the 8 teams.

Gruber Lawffices

Archived