Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia chooses the Yankees, 1050 ESPN Radio New York says 7 years $160 million

trwi7

Man, that's a lot of money. . .I suspect by the time year 7 comes around, they'll be dreading the contract. Still, I can't fault anyone in the deal. The Yanks have the money to spend, Sabathia was blown away by the offer, and the Brewers gave it their best shot. Time to move on to someone else.

I'm mostly disturbed by the draft pick compensation. I wasn't aware of how that worked, and it just seems weird that the compensation is determined by what else the Yanks do this offseason. They get rewarded for taking all the best players. . .

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That offer is beyond crazy!

Do you think Cashman asked CC - Okay, we know you want to play in CA, but what would it take to get you in NY? CC thinks, what the heck, ask for something outrageous and see what happens. Cashman says - its only money! Come on in!

I'm happy for CC, but its too bad he can't hit any longer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So I wonder if Melvin will spend the $15 - 20 million he had earmarked for CC next year? Does this open things up to take on salary all over the place?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Days like this make it really frustrating to be a brewer fan. It still annoys me so much that there is no salary cap. I have no clue how anyone could ever cheer for the Yankees. I am happy the Brewers didnt get him for that kind of money, it is just frustrating teams can buy players for such ridiculous amounts.

I have to question how many of us actually believed CC would be back next year. It was a great run with him, but that contract could cripple our franchise should he be injured or lose effectiveness. I'm sure there are other options for strengthening the team, and we are now a more desirable place for free agents then we were in the past.

Strangely, I would almost be more sad if Sheets became a Yankee. His history with the franchise, in good times and bad, just carries more emotional weight. I feel like Sheets and the Brewers owe it to each other to win together. Should he walk away now, I would be angry.

If Teixeira, CC and Sheets all signed with the Yanks, I believe the Brewers would get the Yanks 2nd and 3rd round picks, and 2 sandwich picks. So obviously Brewer fans want the Angels to sign Teixiera and the Yankees to sign Burnett and Sheets to sign elsewhere (Braves maybe, after losing out on Burnett).

So I wonder if Melvin will spend the $15 - 20 million he had earmarked for CC next year? Does this open things up to take on salary all over the place?
Melvin has stated that if they don't sign CC, that they probably won't be spending all of that money elsewhere (CC was a special case). So I expect a lower payroll this year. I figure we're at about $70 million now, with arby increases. I would guess a payroll in the $80 range, leaving $10 million to spend, barring a trade.

C'mon CC! Say it ain't so! I had so much respect for the guy. Finally someone said I don't want to play for the Yankees and my next contract isn't about the money. Wow, dude had me fooled since he left that contract sit on the table for over a month. I didn't have my hopes up that he would sign with the Crew, but at least sign with the Angels or Dodgers or something. Why sign with the most hated franchise in all of sports. One that he said that he didn't want to play for. I have lost a lot of respect for Mr Sabathia today. This was a guy who seemed so decent and set a great example for kids. Now I am left trying to explain to my son why this guy said he didn't want to play for the Yankees but decided to anyway because they offered him a ton of money when $100 mil is already a ton of money.

I appreciate CC pitching us to the playoffs and am greatful for that, but why oh why did he have to go and sign with the Yanks of all teams??????????????

I know they are the Yankees but I don't think they can afford Tex too. Atleast i can't comprehend that one. Maybe they get Sheets too but we are atleast in line for their 1st and 2nd round picks and the 2 sandwich picks. It's not all that different than a winning team signing 1 of the 2 pitchers. There are worse scenarios than that. Isn't that still better than CC going to the Angels or Red Sox?

I have to question how many of us actually believed CC would be back next year.
I sure didn't. The Yankees freed up something like $90 million from their 2008 payroll. Nobody can compete with them for any player they target. It's really down to whether the player thinks he's up to playing in NYC.

I think this is a Godsend for the Brewers. I love watching CC pitch but this would have been a horrible crippling contract for the team. Doug should offer Benny 3 yrs/$42 million today.

I don't think the influence of his agent and the Players Union has been really taken into consideration. Both have an interest in him taking the highest offer, both have persuasive powers wayyyy above Brewerfan pleading with him to come back, so I don't get the surprise and incredulity here. We offered (for us) a king's ransom and it was still short by the equivalent of the GDP of Bulgaria.

It's nonsense to suggest that Melvin overplayed his hand - he presented a deal, CC took his good time while all the bargaining went on and, finally, the inevitable happened. The Hot Stove hasn't exactly been piping hot for pretty much every team without the word "Dodgers" in their name. And if Melvin decides CC was gone at the outset, and goes out to get a FA pitcher, what message does that give?

We gave it a shot, but I'd rather have that than just sigh and give up without a try.

There seem to be a number of prom analogies flying around, but I think this is more like the movie Some Kind Of Wonderful.

The Brewers are Eric Stolz, all blue collar and lacking in self esteem. CC is Lea Thompson who only dates the rich kid (the Yankees) because her friends (the Players Union) tell her to, even though there's something about the cut of Stolz's jib that she likes. For the benefits of the analogy Mr. Cut-of-his-jib is Mike Cameron.

Ultimately, she's out of his league (natch), but he eventually winds up with Mary Stuart Masterson who's secretly been admiring him for some time, and they are a much better match together.

So, Doug, go out and find the Mary Stuart Masterson who wants to pitch for the Brewers and we're set!

No I think any mention of the union or his agent is stupid thing. He got $60m over the Brewers and likely $40-50m over the Giants. He got what he wanted, to be the highest paid pitcher in baseball which is what he wanted from the start. If he didn't he would still be in Cleveland.

Thanks, CC. Your work here won't soon be forgotten. I tip my off-center cap to you, sir.

Hold this against him all you want, but he has the union and his agent chomping away at him trying to get him to set the market. At least one pitcher (Lowe) was reportedly waiting for Sabathia to sign before he started seriously entertaining offers, because he wanted the market set by the best guy out there.

I know the agent and the union are supposed to back Sabathia and not decide FOR him what is best for him, but we all know that the system doesn't work that way anymore.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Ugh. I hate the Yankees.

Bring back Sheets, do what it takes to find another starter. If Tom H is right about the Cubs getting Peavy, then the Brewers' only shot at the playoffs will be the Wild Card.

The Brewers need two starters. If Gallardo's the ace in `09, I don't see them making the playoffs.

Once again, this team simply cannot afford to make a run like last year every year. It's simple economics. Just because we lose CC and the Cubs might sign Peavy doesn't mean we have to take drastic measures. This team is built to have consistently good seasons (around .500) and to "go for it" every 2-3 years. Last year was our "go for it" year. We should not expect another playoff run next year, or even likely the year after that.

CC made the right move for his family and for the players union. He simply could not have left a huge offer like that on the table. I have no problem with him taking the deal and am happy for him. It gets him out of the NL too which is nice.

I'm mostly disturbed by the draft pick compensation. I wasn't aware of how that worked, and it just seems weird that the compensation is determined by what else the Yanks do this offseason. They get rewarded for taking all the best players. . .
Yeah, something seems profoundly wrong about that, or it seems like it should to anyone outside the "have" teams.

There was little if any reason to really believe CC would be back, and valid reasons why it's just as well he won't be back; but the compensation thing is like being the 98-pound weakling on the beach and watching the big ripped bully walk off with the girl you like, then kick sand in your face just because he can.

I could have rooted for CC as a Dodger, Giant or Angel (though obviously not vs. Milwaukee). Not now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think Sheets is angry enough for the both of us. His attitude about not being signed before the year started smacked of childishness and pouting. Quite frankly I'm kinda glad he'll be gone, but I'm not happy he's gonna be a Yankee, which will cost us quality picks.

The signing of CC by the Yanks probably means that the Red Sox will have to step up. If the Yanks got Tex, CC, and Sheets the Sox would be in trouble. I suspect Tex will land in Boston.

That there are teams interested in Burnett just goes to show ya how collectively stupid the marketplace is. Wasting 160 million on CC is a calculated risk. He could go all Mussina on us and be well worth it. But Burnett is a bum, a real bum. Anyone spending a 100 mil on him is asking, nay, is begging to be non-competitive.

Congratulations to the Sabathia family!

If you're the Yankees, and this is the flawed system they let you play in....why not go for it?

It stinks, and it's Exhibit 9,302,604 of how messed up baseball's financial class system remains....but if I'm them, I go get him too.

The Brewers have to add one starter, and could certainly use two of them, Doug has said he thought any changes would come through trades if they lost CC....so...let's see it.

Archived