Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall has Lasik!

sgtcluels

The S.O. and I were just pondering on Friday (on the way back from the clubhouse sale) whether Bill was really going to have the Lasik as he'd stated during the 2008 season. Now we know.

It seemed to serve Jason Kendall well enough...

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Who knows though, it could help Hall more than it did Kendall, plus Kendall could've been helped by Lasik and regressed due to age. Hall seemed to have more trouble the last couple seasons seeing that ball on the outside corner. I wouldn't bank on this making a significant difference though.

Kendall caught a ridiculous amount of games for somebody of his age. It undoubtedly affected his hitting the second half of the year. Someone can post the splits but he was certainly better than the '07 Kendall until fatigue kicked in. Hopefully, it may be of some use for Bill Hall. Not hoping for too much though.

Amen, WV & Roderick. If Macha gives Rivera a few games now and then, I'd expect Kendall to be a little better this year. As far as Hall, the Lasik can't hurt. For the most part, I don't have many problems with my contacts, but they can give a person trouble now and then, and it could have had some affect on his hitting on any given day. I wouldn't expect much though, as his vision with contacts shouldn't be much different than vision with Lasik.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Kendall 2008 month-by-month batting lines (BABIP in parentheses) --

.294/.365/.388/.753 (.321)

.218/.313/.287/.600 (.232)

.312/.379/.403/.782 (.324)

.169/.267/.225/.492 (.190)

.287/.350/.351/.701 (.329)

.202/.295/.298/.592 (.203)

I'm no expert, but given that Kendall demonstrated that he was still capable of at least getting on base at a good clip for 3 months of the season, I'd have to wager that lightening his playing time load would lead to better offensive performance. With all the wacky up-&-down numbers, imo his season line (.246/.327/.324/.651; BABIP .265) does a good job of displaying his value in 2008. I agree with logan's & rluz's point that Lasik will probably not make much of a change (if any) in Hall's production.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree that Kendall played way to many games last year. How much it would improve his stats? I don't know, but I doubt it would hurt. July looks horrible. He even had a week off to rest that month.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Kendall pretty much nailed his pre-Lasik projection, so I'm going to have to say that it had no obvious effect.

Kendall said himself it helped him a lot -- Obviously, he still has no power, and he isn't going to start hitting all sorts of HRs because he got his eyes tweaked, but if it helps you stay competitive that is certainly good enough.

Archived