Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod to Mets, 3 yrs, $37.5 mil

BuckyTuba
DM offered a similar contract to Cordero, just last off-season, and I find K-Rod's deal more shrewd than the Gagne gamble (which was 10M/year as well).
Sure it was 10 mil/year, but the obvious key was only one year. I still firmly stand by that move even though it didn't work out. They seemingly paid a bit more in year one to avoid giving two or three years. Gagne had a good year in 2007 so there was reason to believe he'd be good in 2008. I'd argue paying one year/ten mil for a good closer (which most thought Gagne was at the time of his signing) is more "shrewd" than paying 40+ for three or four years for a really good closer.

That all being said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Melvin give some closer a multi-year deal this off-season. That likely wouldn't be shrewd either.

Gagne had a good year in 2007 so there was reason to believe he'd be good in 2008. I'd argue paying one year/ten mil for a good closer (which most thought Gagne was at the time of his signing) is more "shrewd" than paying 40+ for three or four years for a really good closer.

I would argue against the Gagne signing being "shrewd" -- I think it was entirely a gamble -- I hear what you are saying, thank goodness we didn't hook into Gagne for 3-years, and I certainly agree with you there.

I don't think Gagne had a good 2007, especially when you consider he missed almost all of the previous 2 seasons.

I think the Mets signing K-Rod, is a safe hedged bet -- I think what DM did with Gagne, was a gamble, which is OK, some gambles pay off better than safe bets -- but I think DM has and probably will sign some RP to big contracts.

How is this deal considered a bargain? It ends up being 3/$40M if his 20012 option isn't picked up. It is 4/$50M if his option is picked up or vested.

2012 option becomes guaranteed with:

* 55 games finished in 2011, and

* 100 games finished in 2010-11, and

* doctors declare Rodriguez healthy after 2011

Corderos's contract is 4/$47M if his option isn't picked up. Sure $7M less if no options are picked up, but more per year and more if Rodriguez's option is picked up or vested.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived