Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod to Mets, 3 yrs, $37.5 mil

BuckyTuba

Great deal for the Mets. I have to say I'm a little disappointed considering the fact that the Brewers offered a similar contract to a much inferior Francisco last offseason. I know that signing K-Rod would have made little sense for the Brewers at this point, but if you are willing to go to $11 million per for Cordero, why not $12 million per for Rodriguez?

Rumors have Wood close to a deal with the Indians. e.Waiting on CC could really cost the Brewers big time. This game of musical chairs may just leave the Brewers on the outside looking in.

Im telling you man, we're gonna end up taking the fat girl to the prom.

I would agree 100% with Strawbossisevil on the need for a designated freakout thread. People can talk about Jon Garland being our ace next year all the time in there.

Makes me a little nervous that Wood and Cleveland are close, but if K-Rod is getting this kind of deal, i'd hope Melvin is all over Fuentes right now. I do think it's hilarious that K-Rod started out at 5/$75mm and settled for this. Cordero has got to be laughing right now.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

geez, it's only one closer that signed out of like six available, plus a closer that Melvin didn't seem to have any intention of signing, anyway. so we're definitely a long ways away from needing to freak out. plus i'm more inclined to think that CC is going to be one of the first big FAs to sign, not one of the last.

plus after Gagne, i can't imagine DM is too excited about spending 8 or 9 on another closer anytime soon.

I can't wait for Rodriguez's first blown save in New York, leading to the inevitable "he can't hack it in New York!" cries. It's not a bad deal considering what Cordero signed for last season, but that's still a lot of money to commit to a guy who may be declining.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

With perhaps the exception of the overrated/overvalued (in 2008) Salomon Torres, our bullpen is in much better shape right now than this point last year. I feel lucky we don't have a GM that wants to blow a chunk of change on the most overpaid FAs (closers).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Marcels projects a 3.27 ERA for 2009. He'll do that over something like 70 IP. Even acknowledging that those innings will be high leverage ones on average, is it a given that this is steal for the Mets?

I honestly think we need a panic thread so certain posters don´t put their panic posts in like every single thread. I think the point has been made and is shared.

Isn't it mostly just 2 posters cutting and pasting the same response, everytime anyone is signed?

but that's still a lot of money to commit to a guy who may be declining.

As Rydogg, points out he is likely entering his prime years. Objectively, I don't see any reason to think he is declining.

Marcels projects a 3.27 ERA for 2009. He'll do that over something like 70 IP.

We have been told many many times, ERA is not the best stat to monitor, and I am not the biggest Marcel geek -- but I am sure that Marcel didn't know K-Rod would be changing leagues, so I am sure that the 3.27 number needs to be adjusted.

Here is the projection more robustly stated....

66 IP 56H 27R 24ER 5HR 70K 29BB 1.29WHIP 3.27 ERA

Here is what he did in 2008.

68IP 54H 21R 17ER 4ER 77K 34BB 1.288 WHIP 2.24ERA

I don't see Marcel projecting any sort of skills decline, but perhaps K-Rod will be unluckier in 2009 than compared to 2008. The Hits/walks/Ks all are in line.

Again, I don't think that if Marcel knew that he would change leagues, the projection would be different.

Even acknowledging that those innings will be high leverage ones on average, is it a given that this is steal for the Mets?

This isn't a steal, however I think it is a very sensible signing for the Mets. They need some BP help in the worst way, and they have some very favorable contracts -- I think they can spend a little more money on their BP. K-Rod is a young, special pitcher. I think getting a guy who just had 62 saves to agree to a 3 year deal is a minor coup -- especially when 5 year 75M contracts were expected. I think the Mets were shrewd here.

Could they have tried to roll the dice with some $1-2M, type of arms? -- Probably, -- no doubt the Mets are hedging their bets a bit.

I feel lucky we don't have a GM that wants to blow a chunk of change on the most overpaid FAs (closers).

I think your feelings of luck are a bit unfounded and perhaps premature. DM offered a similar contract to Cordero, just last off-season, and I find K-Rod's deal more shrewd than the Gagne gamble (which was 10M/year as well). Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up giving $10/year to some reliever arm this off-season -- it ain't over yet.

Again, I don't think this signing is brilliant or the signing of the year or anything like that, but I think the Mets suitably addressed a glaring need on their team.

A Marcel ERA projection is just the weighted average FIP from the last 3 years. For KRod, his FIP for the last 3 years has been 2.72, 2.70 and 3.22. You are right that Marcel ignores leagues, So KRod's projected ERA in the NL iight be closer to 3.0.

Sounds like, when all is said and done, Kod will be making a lot more than $40 mil from this contract.

Archived