Brewer Fanatic

Braves want Corey Hart- Latest: Melvin Confirms Braves' Interest, but no plans to trade Corey

Johnson's numbers look kind of "meh" to me, at least as someone that is willing to forgive Corey Hart's end of the season slump. But I admit to not knowing a lot about him or of his potential. As a second baseman, if we have something lined up that would get us decent value for Rickie, I suppose I could be on board.

Escobar and Hart for Jair? Then the Braves can trade Yuniel Escobar in a Peavy deal.
Y. Escobar wasn't the piece holding up the Peavy deal it was the pitching prospects Atlanta didn't want to part with which was holding up the deal.

What about Francoeur, and James for Hart and Dillard. The Brewers then could send Francoeur to the Royals for DeJesus and a relief pitcher thus allowing the Brewers to send Cameron for some pitching and either signing Dunn or Burrell.

I think Hart is more valuable than Francouer though. Plays a similar RF (with a lesser arm of course), is a far better baserunner, and has a .060 better career OPS. Granted the OBP difference is only .012, but I think Corey's skill set is significantly better than Francouer's.

Edit: To stay on topic, I can't think of a deal with Atlanta I'd like that they'd ever do. He'd have to be part of a bigger deal. If we could pick up some young pitching for Weeks, I'd definitely take Kelly Johnson for Corey though.

Escobar and Hart for Jair? Then the Braves can trade Yuniel Escobar in a Peavy deal.
No way the Braves trade Jair. They are struggling for pitching as it is. Obviously, replacing him with Peavy (if they could someone pull that off) would be an upgrade, but they need multiple arms.

Y. Escobar wasn't the piece holding up the Peavy deal it was the pitching prospects Atlanta didn't want to part with which was holding up the deal.

What about Francoeur, and James for Hart and Dillard. The Brewers then could send Francoeur to the Royals for DeJesus and a relief pitcher thus allowing the Brewers to send Cameron for some pitching and either signing Dunn or Burrell.

I want no part of Dejesus, and dont understand the love for him on this board. He is a slightly better version of Gwynn JR. Good speed, light arm and marginal stick.

To stay on topic, I can't think of a deal with Atlanta I'd like that they'd ever do. He'd have to be part of a bigger deal. If we could pick up some young pitching for Weeks, I'd definitely take Kelly Johnson for Corey though.
Johnson to 2B. Weeks to the bench. Gamel moves to the OF. (Or sign Dunn)

We would have 3 left handed bats in the line-up.

Not ideal all around - but I can certainly see the temptation with Kelly Johnson.

I want no part of Dejesus, and dont understand the love for him on this board. He is a slightly better version of Gwynn JR. Good speed, light arm and marginal stick.
DeJesus had a higher OPS Mike Cameron last year. He would have been 6th in MLB for CF in OPS if he had played enough CF. He also had 12 home runs last year, that is more than Gwynn has hit in his entire career. He fits this team well if he can play CF.

Hart is an All-Star and potential frequent All-Star. Johnson's a nice 2B with some traits the Brewers could use but nothing All-Star-worthy.

Season-ending slump notwithstanding, to suggest that they're equals or that the Brewers would have to give up someone in addition to Hart to get just Johnson seems incredibly bizarre and outright screwy to me, and reminds me it's a good thing it's Doug Melvin making these decisions and not most of us on this board.

Except that Johnson had a pretty significantly better year last year at a more premium position.

I realize Corey's #s suffered pretty horribly over the last month, but he wasn't really anything special before that. Slightly above average before September.

I wouldn't give up anything more than Hart for Johnson (in fact I'm not even sure I'd do it, based on lack of need), but I wouldn't oppose a deal involving those 2. I just worry about giving up on Weeks too soon.

Edit: He was actually better than I thought through August...........man was his September atrocious. Doesn't really change anything else in my post though.

The only reason Corey Hart was an All Star last year was because he had a great run at the end of may and into june. Otherwise he was average. Kelly Johnson bats LH and plays a harder position and has a higher career OPS+, most all of which comes in the OBP.

Ridiculous. Gwynn Jr. is not even in the same league as DeJesus. By virtually any measuring stick of offensive productivy, DeJesus would have been one of our best players last year.

Are we talking about the same Kelly Johnson that had a .349 OBP last year? If you don't recall, Weeks had a .342 OBP. So we give up Hart for 7 points of OBP? Not a good trade. Not to mention that Weeks still has more upside. Downgrading at one position for a wash at another doesn't make sense to me.

If you don't recall, Weeks had a .342 OBP. So we give up Hart for 7 points of OBP?
We wouldn't be trading Weeks for Johnson, we would be trading Hart for Johnson. Johnson can play the OF (and I'm assuming Weeks could, too). So they can play on the same team. Johnson's career OBP is 33 points higher than Corey Hart's.

Archived