Brewer Fanatic

Hank Blalock 3B: What would it take to acquire him?

I would like the see the Brewers target Hank Blalock. It's rumored that the Rangers are willilng to trade him. He just turned 28, entering his baseball prime. He bats lefthanded and plays solid D at 3B. If he's over his health issues, he could be a breakout/buy low candidate.

Now that they've traded Laird, I imagine that Teagarden/Saltalamacchia will split catching duties, but they also have Max Ramirez. If they don't trade another catcher, they mave be looking for Salty to get Abs at 1st. Looks like Texas wants Chris Davis to be 3B and therefore give Blalock abs at 1B or DH.

Not sure if the Brewers match up as trading partners with the Rangers though. What type of package would the Brewers have to put together to get Hammerin' Hank?

Aren't his home/road splits horrible? Isn't Texas a very hitter-friendly park?

Either way, I've heard so many rumors about him being traded that I believe we could get him if we wanted him. They need starting pitching too, though... so I'm not sure what they would want from us.

Yes, his career home road OPS splits are .905/.702, and his vs. RH/LH splits are just as bad at .858/.656. You look at that, along w/ his supposed inablility to play 3b anymore due to injury, and I don't think it would take much to get him. However, I don't think I'd want him.

If the Brewers are trying to be a better defensive team, Blalock is not a very good option. The Rangers are not moving Blalock to a 1B/DH role just because of Davis, it is because he looked terrible at third last year, with very poor range. I also cannot justify spending almost 13 million dollars on a platoon of Hall, and Blalock.

As for what it would take, the Rangers need pitching as always, esspecially young pitching. The deal would have to revolve around some of the Brewers young starting pitching. I cant imagine the Brewers would give up Braddock for Blalock, and Jeffress is definatley too much. The deal would probably have to be some combination of Periard, Anundsen, Seidel, and Wright.

Archived