Brewer Fanatic

Brewers re-sign Todd Coffey - 1 year/$800K plus possible $200K in incentives

BREWCREW5

I like it, spend the money in other areas. Bullpens are such a crapshoot anyways, Doug might as well go low-risk. You just never know year to year how a bullpen will be. We are better off making a solid rotation so we don't have to rely to much on the bullpen.

Do we still have one more spot for a closer? In zzz list that is 12 pitchers and with the assumption we will add at least one more starter where does that leave us with pitchers. Someone could be packaged in a trade or one of the relievers could not make the team, but if we add a starter and a closer we would have 14 pitchers although Difelice might now make the club.

Don't forget that Swindle's deal can be a minor-league deal if he doesn't make the club (iirc), and Julio's deal can be completely voided if he doesn't make the club. I'm a big believer in DiFelice, and really want to see him given a shot out of the 'pen.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So what does our pitching look like at this point?

Julio

Riske

Coffey

Stetter

Swindle

Villanueva (possible SP)

McClung (possible SP)

Difelice

I would also add Tim Dillard to that list, I think he will be given a good chance to win a job out of spring training.

I didn't add Dillard, Pena, or others because there are a lot of question marks still out there.

Who else do we sign?

What will McClung's role be?

Will Capuano make an impact?

I am happy with the depth and flexibility we currently have I must say.

I know it is early but I just don't see how the Brewers have improved their bullpen so far and it wasn't a strength last yea. Coupled with the very depleted starting pitching rotation at this point and the whole pitching outlook is pretty bleak as is. Last year the bullpen was pretty much the definition of middle of the road and was dead last in nearly ever statistical category when compared to the playoff teams.

He doesn't have the stuff, he's a guy who's just above replacement level. He had 7 good innings in September after a horrendous season with the Reds.
Yeah I know it was small sample, but your telling me I didn't see him throw a mid 90's fastball with a nice slider and sinker? I know he pitched poor for the Reds. But I think he could be a nice option out of our pen in 2009.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived