Brewer Fanatic

CC Offer, Brewers Future, Perspective within Wisconsin Sports

The point of this thread is not to discuss our offer to CC/ the implications of, but rather refocus a discussion on how the Brewers stack up against the other major athletic teams in Wisconsin. After lackluster seasons by the Packers and Badgers, who both (in my opinion) appear to be headed in the wrong direction after the departure of legends (Alvarez and Favre), one would think that this provides and opportunity to the Brewers to become the dominant sports team in the minds of Wisconsin sports fans. UW Basketball, MU Basketball, and UW Hockey are all huge to their niche markets (NCAA tourney for BB is huge, but in reality only captures the attention of the average fan for a week or two a year).

Signing Sabathia would be perhaps the biggest risk every made in the history of American sports. As noted in other threads, a 6/130 (assuming deferred money) could cripple this franchise into mediocrity or worse. By signing Sabathia to that kind of contract, Mark A is basically gambling that he WILL win the world series in the next three years. A winning team will slowly drive up revenue and eventually result in a bump in the TV contract, but to repay himself for the risk/investmment in a CC contract, he basically needs the Brewers to win it all and Vault into the #1 spot in Wisconsin sports in direct competitiion with UW Football, and largely the Green Bay Packers. Can it be done? Doubtful. Has it ever been done in another city? I can't think of a specific example where a World Series Title (or a Major Sports Championship) has completed transformed a local/statewide fanbase. I can think of several cases where that maybe has happened with an NCAA football program, but that is a much smaller scale (and much smaller financial risk) than the one being talked about here.

In order for the Brewers to become the #1 draw in Wisconsin, they basically need to secure a national following. How they can accomplish that when they would have trouble making inroads in-state, in northern Wisconsin is beyond me. But the only way you might get an even 5% chance at that scenario, would be a three-four year period of incredible play, with an extremely marketable superstar (locally and nationally), a National/World Championship, and competition from only mediocre (or worse) other sports franchises in the state.

I think the Brewers will always take 3rd at best behind the Packers and Badgers football. As others have stated elsewhere baseball just isn't made for watching by the general public. There is just to much of a time sink involved in keeping up with baseball compared to the other two.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

These three are overstatments:

After lackluster seasons by the Packers and Badgers, who both (in my opinion) appear to be headed in the wrong direction after the departure of legends (Alvarez and Favre)

Not to sidetrack, but QB play has basically nothing to do with the Packers apparent slip this season.

Signing Sabathia would be perhaps the biggest risk every made in the history of American sports.

That's strong. Let's say our payroll stays at $90 million over the next six years, and we are paying Sabathia an average of $25 mil a year. Now say Sabathia goes down next April with a career ending injury. We now need to win on a $65 mil payroll, which has been done before. It would be a crappy situation, and a huge blow, but its not like the team would have to relocate or fold if Sabathia fails.

By signing Sabathia to that kind of contract, Mark A is basically gambling that he WILL win the world series in the next three years. [T]o repay himself for the risk/investmment in a CC contract, he basically needs the Brewers to win it all and Vault into the #1 spot in Wisconsin sports in direct competitiion with UW Football, and largely the Green Bay Packers.

I don't agree. We need to stay contenders, make the playoffs a few times, but winning the WS shouldn't make or break attendance numbers. We just need to be relevant.

DM and Mark A got phase one done - get the fans to the ballpark. Now, from ownership perspective, they have to lock in this increased fanbase. What we do over the next 2 seasons is more important that what we do 4 or 5 seasons down the line. Apparently Mark thinks its worth the risk of a 25 million dollar goose on the payroll in a few years if it means we stay in the playoffs the next 2 or 3.

----------

In order for the Brewers to become the #1 draw in Wisconsin, they basically need to secure a national following. How they can accomplish that when they would have trouble making inroads in-state, in northern Wisconsin is beyond me.

I agree, somehow generating a national following would probably not be that much more difficult than getting a stronger northern and central Wisconsin following, given how spread out our market is. However, don't forget about the new single A affiliate in Appleton. That could go a long way solidifying a deepening the northern fanbase.

In order for the Brewers to become the #1 draw in Wisconsin, they basically need to secure a national following. How they can accomplish that when they would have trouble making inroads in-state, in northern Wisconsin is beyond me. But the only way you might get an even 5% chance at that scenario, would be a three-four year period of incredible play, with an extremely marketable superstar (locally and nationally), a National/World Championship, and competition from only mediocre (or worse) other sports franchises in the state.
Part of the problem with the in-state following has to be the cable availability. To my knowledge, northern WI (Superior) is FSN North meaning they're getting Minnesota sports. Even Eau Claire has just switched to FSN North and instead of Bucks and Badger hockey, I'm getting Timberwolves and Gopher hockey. I've been assured that I will get Brewer baseball next spring, but I'm leery. This means that if people want to watch the Brewers, then they probably would have to go to a bar. That's easy enough once a week with football, but is a lot more time consuming with baseball.

This is an age old discussion, but baseball can not compete with football not just because of the perceived pace of the respective games (I will always argue that there is much more action in baseball if you really understand the game), but because football is a once a week event. I believe if you were to take any of the major sports and just have one game every week and pare down the schedule to 16 games, the popularity of that sport would increase 10 fold.

People in Wisconsin are very sociable. If they can't go to the game, they like to go to bars and watch games with groups of people. Football lends itself to that social athmosphere more than baseball. Again, the once a week, 16 game schedule has a lot to do with that. If you have been to both Brewers and Packers games, then you understand. Being at a Packer game is more like being at a giant tailgate party while a sporting event is going on. Everyone acts like they know one another. A lot of Wisconsinites really get into that (I'm not really one of them).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The Brewers will probably never surpass the Packers in popularity here in this state. There are so many reasons for that, which have already been discussed at length on this board.

I do think the next year or two are fairly critical on building upon last season's momentum. A couple successful seasons, including one or two more post-season runs, could really cement the Brewers as a once again serious sports franchise in this state. I don't think a World Series appearance is necessarily required...I think the majority of fans will keep following the team if they can stay competitive. If they falter badly, the Brewers will again be relegated to also-rans as far as popularity and sports discussion in the state of Wisconsin.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived