Brewer Fanatic

New MacBook User Here

BrewCrewForever

I just recently purchased a MacBook. I had been a long time PC user. I have question specifically, why is it every time I turn on my computer and go to open Firefox I have to run the download again? Is there someway to not have to do that? It still has all my bookmarks and everything.

Also I guess is there any other tips other Mac users have for a new user?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Make sure that this is what you have stored in your Applications Folder. When you intend to run Firefox, you should be clicking on an icon like this:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/casey1992/boardpics/bfnet/firefoxicon.png

If you have this in your application folder, you're clicking on the wrong thing:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/casey1992/boardpics/bfnet/firefoxdmgicon.png

Note that the .dmg file is a disk image. The operating system thinks the file is a disk. The .dmg contains a copy of Firefox, and that copy of Firefox must be copied to your hard drive. It's actually more accurate to say that you're copying the program rather than "installing" it, however, the technical term for this procedure is "drag install."

As jordanmuehl says, once it's properly installed, you can drag any applications into your dock for easy access. You can also make an application stay in your dock permanently by doing your MacBook's version of right-clicking on it. You'll see a Keep In Dock option in the context menu. (On MacBooks released in October, 2008, the default way to "right-click" is to press anywhere on the trackpad with two fingers.)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Another question I have is my iPod had been used only with a PC before. Do I need to reformat it to work with a Mac now?

Yes. And I agree with casey and jordan that the problem is probably that you are clicking on the .dmg file. I made that same mistake a couple times when I first got OSX.

So how do I actually reformat my ipod to be a mac one and not pc?
When you plug your iPod in to the USB port and it starts to "sync" with your iTunes, click on your iPod in iTunes' sidebar. I'm not sure if this is exactly correct since my iPod is already formatted for Mac and I don't have the options associated with changing it anymore, but I believe you have to restore your iPod to factory settings first, then format it with the Macintosh format, and then resync your music.

I've been using Open Office on my macbook. It used to be kind of annoying, but it looks like the newest version fixed most of the bugs. It's a free program, and you can save files as .doc or pdf
That sounds cool. Do you have a link? One I found told me I had to pay for it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It's in the Display section of System Preferences. Choose the Display tab after opening that panel.

How to Adjust Screen Brightness on a MacBook

Keep in mind that a brighter setting will use more battery power. Also keep in mind that the display brightness automatically adjusts to room light. You and uncheck this preference if you'd like.

Also note that in the Energy Saver panel, under the Power Adapter tab, there's a setting to "automatically reduce screen brightness before sleep." You may turn that on or off. Default is on.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived