Brewer Fanatic

Brewers in on Casey Blake? No, author typo leads to briefly rampant speculation

yoshii8

According to this article from the Rocky Mountain News, we have put in an offer for Casey Blake, and its between us and the Dodgers for his services. Here is the exact quote:

"* Cleveland officials indicate they still have interest in the return of third baseman Casey Blake, but indications are he will wind up with the Brewers or the Dodgers, depending on which one ups its offer from two years to three years first."

http://www.rockymountainn...rt-on-market/?partner=RSS

I am pretty sure that was supposed to be the Twins not Brewers. They have been in on Blake from the start and have offered two years with a club option for a third from what I have heard. So my guess is they just mixed up the teams

I am pretty sure that was supposed to be the Twins not Brewers. They have been in on Blake from the start and have offered two years with a club option for a third from what I have heard. So my guess is they just mixed up the teams

Thats what I figured at first, but the author says it again at the end of the article, so maybe the Brewers are really in on Blake. He did have an .800+ OPS vs. RHP's last season. Why would we sign a 3B to a 2-3 year deal if Gamel is supposed to be ready soon?

I think this makes sense especially because of Gamel. If anything Gamel has definitely proved two things: he can hit, and he can't play 3rd. God, I say sign Blake. Sign anyone who can hit and play better defense than Hall.

I mean if this is true it makes some sense for this year. Blake is better than what we have and he is a Type B free agent. If the Brewers are serious about trading Fielder next year this would make some sense as well. However, I still think this was the Twins, especially with no other places reporting it. If the Brewers could move Hall this could work.

It also seems to me that they got the Twins and Crew mixed up because the Twins are known to have offered 2 years so they would certianly be in the running for his services. I don't think I would be strongly opposed to Blake but it would really only makes sense if the Crew is not confident in Gamel at 3rd. Everytime the subject comes up they always insist that they feel he can stick there. Of course they said that about Ryan Braun to until they actually saw how bad he was in person.

Yeah, no way we'd offer three years, and I wouldn't advocate signing him for two. Spend elsewhere. I again will state I believe the Brewers have more faith in Gamel at third than many here do. I also think (if I'm wrong in this thinking) the smart move would then be to assume Green will be ready in 2011 at the latest. No way I see us offering three years and I highly doubt we're involved at all.

I'm always amazed at how many people outside the Midwest confuse Milwaukee with Minneapolis/Minnesota and vice-versa. People either think the cities are really close to one another or think Milwaukee is in Minnesota or that Minneapolis is in Wisconsin. The conversations usually go something like this..

Non Midwesterner: "Where you from?"

Me: "Milwaukee"

NMW: "Oh - you a big Vikings fan?"

Me: Uh no...I live in Wisconsin.

or you tell them you live in Milwaukee and about 10 minutes into the conversation, they say "So, how do you like Minneapolis?" ...Huh?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I liked rotoworlds take on the Casey Blake sweepstakes. Something along the lines of whomever wins will regret it almost immediately.
I do not know why this would be the case. Maybe a three year deal would come back to haunt you, but a two-year deal with an option seems pretty harmless. Blake has put up decent numbers every year. Numbers that we would like to have at 3B right now. The Dodgers could absorb a rough couple years from Blake much easier than the Twins.

Archived