Brewer Fanatic

Blackberry/Google Phone/IPhone and Skype

strawbossisevil

Just a shot in the dark here to see if anyone knows anything about this.

In about half a year or so I was thinking about purchasing a new phone. I would be really interested in any of the above type of phones. I noticed that T-Mobile offers a Data Only package for their phones. I'm sure Google and Iphone work in a similar way. Currently, since I have been living abroad, I have been using Skype, which has been an absolute gem of a program, as I get unlimited calling and receive unlimited calls for only $5 a month.

I was wondering, if I get a data only plan for any of the above phones. Is there any way that I could go about running Skype on there so I can make and receive calls without having to purchase air time? Basically using data only?

For example, I've noticed that T-Mobile offers unlimited data for $39.99. It would be sweet if I could also make unlimited calls through Skype within that data package for only $5 more. Does that make sense?

Does anyone know if that is possible? I've done some basic searching, and I have found a couple programs that run skype, but still charge for airtime. (Such as iSkoot)

I know on iPhone there is a free app called "Fring" that runs Skype and other IM-based messaging services. I have yet to try it though. Only problem is is that I don't believe AT&T has a data only plan for the iPhone.

Oooh, nice idea. I'd probably do something like this if one of those phones had a decent SIP client...I'll have to look into that. I have a 802.11 phone that connects to my VOIP system at home, but this would be quite a bit better since it wouldn't require a nearby open wireless connection.

After doing a bit more reading, it really appears like the US phone companies are trying very hard to prevent the use of VOIP over cell phones. The 3G network offered by AT&T is capable of handling the data to offer this to the public. What it really comes down to is that the cell phone companies stand to lose a lot of money if VOIP is freely offered in cell phones (for obvious reasons).

What we need is a company who is desperate enough to get customers that they offer it here. I have a feeling that is where the cell phone industry is eventually going to go. But I see them dragging their feet all the way there unfortunately.

The other hope it appears in the VOIP cellphone is the development of nationwide Wifi. Skype already has wifi phones so the phones exist for such a thing.

Either way, it will probably be quite a while before any of this is available unfortunately.

Archived