Brewer Fanatic

Khalil Greene to St Louis

So, who aren't they trading in San Diego? They are trying to get rid of Peavy and already let go of Hoffman. I know Greene isn't really that good, so this is not as big of deal. The article says they want the payroll under 40 million.

I know people are looking at Bobby Abreu being a good fit for the Brewers, how would Brian Giles look at one of those corner spots? What would it take to get him?

I know people are looking at Bobby Abreu being a good fit for the Brewers, how would Brian Giles look at one of those corner spots? What would it take to get him?
To much for just one year of Giles I'm guessing the starting point would be either Cain or Hart. I like Giles but I would rather have Hart and Cain.

He's a solid defensive SS -- fwiw the Chone defensive projections for 2009 have Greene as a +5 at SS & Hardy at a +1. He's not very good at getting on base, but he does have, at worst, semi-legit power (career SLG of .427 playing half his career games at PetCo Park). After having his 2008 numbers held down by the self-inflicted hand injury, I think this would be an ok buy-low move by the Cards. Not a big difference-maker, but if he has some (relatively unlikely) good luck with his BA the Cards would look pretty shrewd. I can't imagine they'd have to give up too much to get him. I can already see him in a Cards uni... and already hate him http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, i just checked the home/road splits for Green and they are big time extreme. If you wipe out last year where he had injury issues

Home--.670 OPS

Road--.840 OPS

Home--.628 OPS

Road--.863 OPS

Home--.684 OPS

Road--.772 OPS

If Green was really being hurt that badly by playing in Petco, this could end up being a very nice trade for the Cardinals and a big upgrade from Izturis.

All the evidence here points to Greene having a big season next year, his contract year. It would behove anyone to make him a late addition to your fantasy team.

So, who aren't they trading in San Diego?
Thats what I was wondering? Will Adrian Gonzalez become available? They're slashing payroll, and he starts making money this next season. They have a top 1B prospect in Kyle Blanks, who had a breakout year in the Southern League this past season.

San Diego hasn't been able to deal Peavey to fill their holes, maybe they'd be better off dealing Peavey for value instead of being so tied to specific need, and deal Gonzalez for need.

I say this because if the Brewers are able to deal Fielder for a SP such as Santana, we would match up well to deal for Gonzalez.

The deal:

Tampa gets: Cory Hart

Milwaukee gets: Adrian Gonzalez, Fernando Perez

San Diego gets: Andy Sonnastine, Brad Nelson, Alcides Escobar, Tony Gwynn Jr.

The Brewers replace Fielder with a another bigtime hitter, and improve immensely defensively. They control Gonzalez for 3 more years, just like Fielder. The emergence of prospect Brent Brewer makes it easy to deal Escobar, who SD needs desperately. Nelson isn't good enough to start for a contender, but he's a nice gamble for a rebuilding team with a top 1B prospect a year away. Tampa has been looking to add a RF, and has a spare pitching. Sonnastine is a cheap, aggressive strikethrower that SD prefers. Dealing Hart opens a lineup spot for the Brewers to sign a lefthanded bat like Abreu. Perez is an outstanding defender and an On-base machine. He makes a nice 4th OF next year, and is the future CF/leadoffman.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

In no way does Hart, Nelson, and TGJ turn into Adrian Gonzalez. Fielder brings in Santana but the better player Gonzalez only costs a RFer coming off a horrendous year, and two borderline major league palyers? EDIT: I missed Escobar, which makes it somewhat possible. Tough any deal that requires four! teams to make sense isn't likely to happen.

Archived