Brewer Fanatic

Rigging up the lights (sung angrily) - What's on the top of your artificial Christmas tree?

Hammer

Hey all,

My wife and I just bought a $400 artificial tree from Steins and the dang top "branch" is not strong to hold a tree top star. What the heck!! For $400 you should get something sturdy enough to support a small child. What experiences have y'all had with tree toppers? Would you build a support for the star with a wooden dowel? Maybe get a fat Santa figurine instead? Rigging up the lights is the most stressful part of Christmas.

Hammer

Sorry if I offended a politically correct person or two by mentioning Christmas...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Why would you buy an artificial tree in the first place?

Bringing in a tree was the most unholy event in the FtJ household. I was good for about 95% of my yearly f-bombs in the 1-2 hrs it took to set up the tree.

I seriously attempted to throw a tree out our picture window right in front of my kids one year. Throwing trees is actually sort of tricky.

I was seriously thinking about converting to a religion that didn't worship Christmas trees at one point.

Fake Christmas trees have probably rescued my salvation.

I agree w/ FTJ....real trees are the first ingredient in an F-Bomb holiday fruitcake. They are hell to work with plus you have pine needles in your carpet until the next Thanksgiving...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I'll answer your question with a question:

Why would you buy an artificial tree in the first place? Particularly if it is $400. Personally, I love going to pick out and cut down my own christmas tree every year.

Because they suck to carry in and they suck when the needles fall off. Basically they just suck.

We don't put anything up at the top. We also have a fake, but only because we have to, our apartment complex does not allow real trees because they claim they are a fire hazard.

I haven't found anything that looks decent at all on the top because like you said, the branches can't support any weight

I was seriously thinking about converting to a religion that didn't worship Christmas trees at one point.

Festivus. It's for the rest of us.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

We currently have a snowman head on a wooden dowel.

Plush-type things seem to work the best because they're the lightest. We had an angel that was very light and her wide skirt had a wide plastic cone underneath - that wide surface for resting was crucial. We would fold down that very top, straight, high piece - fold it in half and it will provide more sturdiness.

Festivus. It's for the rest of us.

Ha. One of my roommates has his b-day on the 23rd (Festivus). We were thinking of celebrating. Maybe I can find a high-strenghth aluminum alloy pole on craigslist or something. The airing of grievances and feats of strength would be a blast!

Ha. One of my roommates has his b-day on the 23rd (Festivus). We were thinking of celebrating. Maybe I can find a high-strenghth aluminum alloy pole on craigslist or something. The airing of grievances and feats of strength would be a blast!
Oh, you don't have to go to Craigslist, just to Milwaukee.

Archived