Brewer Fanatic

The worst fast food items you ever had

InsomniacInkRoss
My worst fast-food experience was when I ordered a McRib (which I love) "Plain"; as in I didn't want the onions and such. I drove away and found that I had received a McRib without barbecue sauce on it, and let me tell you; those pieces of meat look absolutely disgusting when you can see what they really are (a grey patty with fake grooves and grillmarks).

I ate a bite and wanted to vomit. I still love the McRib, but wow that almost scarred me.

Did it look something like this? Because that deconstruction alone made me shy away from ever trying one..

You can still get as many breadsticks as you want, but you have to go to the counter to get them.

My friend ate so many breadsticks at Fazoli's once that they cut him off. So, they aren't exactly unlimited. I once tried the pizza at Fazoli's... never again. It was cold and the sauce tasted funky. Also, I recommend avoiding any Roy Rodgers locations on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

If you order the staples at McD's (burgers, fries, McNuggets, etc), it hits the spot. I also look forward to my late night visits to the Taco Bell drive thru. I rarely order anything I haven't ordered before at a fast food joint. I already know what tastes good. If I'm going to abuse my body, I might as well make sure I enjoy myself.

I got sick off of Long John Silvers. That is terrible stuff. Terrible. Like Taco Bell 'guacamole' terrible.

I have to defend the southern style chicken from McDs. Good, and much closer to my favorite -- Chick Fil A.

Oh, but the winner goes to Krystal burgers. An entire two vans full of people on a road trip ate those and all got sick. They are poor man's White Castle.

I'll 3rd the White Castle comments. I went to the one by Gurnee Mills. IMO, you must have to be high or intoxicated to enjoy their food. I was neither, so I thought it was rancid.

The only other one I can think of comes from Southern U.S. chicken chain Zaxby's. Driving back from Florida, my wife ordered their version of a Bloomin' Onion. We had about 3 bites before it made us sick to our stomach. I don't see it on the menu anymore, which is a good thing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've never tried a McRib (and never will), but I dry-heaved just reading that. Meat should never be grey.
The key to eating fast food is to:

1) never look at it closely

2) never question where it came from\

3) never watch the cooks make it

If you can avoid these three things, fast food can be a fun and enjoyable experience for the whole family.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Oh, but the winner goes to Krystal burgers. An entire two vans full of people on a road trip ate those and all got sick. They are poor man's White Castle.

Except it's more expensive. I had it once in Alabama, but I was drunk, so I don't really remember liking or disliking it. I just remember I was able to keep drinking a few more hours after intaking all the grease.

While not terrible, I'm not a fan of Culver's Butterburgers. My uncle accurately describes them as "cremated".

I'm glad someone else shares that opinion. While I appreciate that they use beef that blows away the 'meat' in other fast food burger places, I very often get a burger that's somewhat burnt.

I saw lots of McDonald's posts in this thread and it yet again makes me wonder how that place stays so popular?

Of all fast food places, i think by far that McDonald's has the worst food overall. I understand how all the marketing can work on kids, but is that what gets adults to keep coming back also? I have to be starving and with no other fast food places being close before i'll go to McDonald's, their food mostly tastes like crap.

As for worst experience, it's any time i go to Taco Bell and ask for no onions, only to bite into a nasty onion that leaves me dry heaving and ready to vomit.

My worst fast-food experience was when I ordered a McRib (which I love) "Plain"; as in I didn't want the onions and such. I drove away and found that I had received a McRib without barbecue sauce on it, and let me tell you; those pieces of meat look absolutely disgusting when you can see what they really are (a grey patty with fake grooves and grillmarks).

I ate a bite and wanted to vomit. I still love the McRib, but wow that almost scarred me.

I've never tried a McRib (and never will), but I dry-heaved just reading that. Meat should never be grey.

I've never had one either, but it was always my understanding that McRibs were just liquid meat molded into rib-like forms. After hearing that description I would never try them.

White Castle discussion always make me smile. It's definitely one of those love or hate places. I was hate, but my father is love. So much that whenever I would go to the our closest mall, he expected me to bring back White Castle since it was right next door and the closest one to our house. He grew up in the Bronx, and it always made me laugh that whenever we would go to White Castle there, the cashiers were always behind a bullet proof glass and we had to give them the money bank style. It's the only food place I knew of that operated like that.

I totally agree about McDonald's being beyond "blah". Used to love it when I was younger, now I can't stand it. The wife and I went there last weekend when we took her brother back to campus, and I tried the Chicken Selects...talk about disappointing. They should at least make sure the things somewhat resemble how they're pictured. Can't eat their burgers anymore, either. Just totally bland.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

McDonalds is so popular because of lazy parents who don't want to have to cook for themselves or their kids, and it's cheap.

Worst?

Burger King makes me sick. Given that the "meat" is soaked in a grease bath until it's served, no surprise.

Most fast food french fries are pretty much awful. If they're more than 3 minutes old, they're limp, soggy, and taste like cardboard.

As an aside, I don't know why the McRib is so *gross*, it's no worse than the lips, cheeks, and other crap that they use to make hot dogs and bologna. I work with a gentleman who's wife works at Oscar Meyer, and needless to say, some of the stories simply aren't fit to tell here.

I think that "burnt" taste on the Culver's burgers some have referenced is a result of the butter having a low burn point.

As soon as I saw this thread I immediately thought of the McRibb, had one once, just once, and never again. One of my college roommates absolutely loved the McRibb and I could never understand it.

The only restaurant chain I can think of I absolutely avoid is Applebees. I hate their food, it seems like frozen dinners warmed in a microwave and I hate their atomosphere, especially how the tables are always jammed around the bar.

I think before people start dropping the 'lazy parents' line they need to actually have to have kids older than 2 and work a full time job and NOT occaisionally stop at McDonalds.

Ive taken my kids there on an off day (ages 2 1/2 and 4 1/2) because it is freezing cold outside and they are going stir crazy, so we go get a hamburger and they can blow off some steam at the playground inside. It isnt like a cheeseburger, some apple slices and a glass of 2% Milk is going to kill them.

I'll second White Castle. My friends and I had never had it until we went to Cincinnati for a Marquette game last year. After a win, and the night of heavy drinking that followed, it seemed like a great choice.

Let's just say you didn't want to be in our hotel room the next morning.

Sounds identical to my story. Except, it was Indianapolis and the Badgers Final Four Semifinal night. To this day, WC makes my skin crawl.

I think before people start dropping the 'lazy parents' line they need to actually have to have kids older than 2 and work a full time job and NOT occaisionally stop at McDonalds.

My kids are teenagers. I have a full time job. A family member of mine is a manager of a McDonalds.

And Obviously when I say "McDonalds is popular because of lazy parents" I really mean that "Every single person who eats at McDonalds is a lazy parent who doesn't want to cook for their kids."

I know you didnt mean that. Fast food is fast food for a reason. Sometimes you need to go there because a time crunch dictates it so. Even if that is once a month, with all of the families out there, it adds up to a multimillion dollar industry, so it is easy to see why mcdonalds does a good job.

Me personally, I hate it. I thnk their menu is about the worst I have seen from any fast food burger chain. Way too conservative, it all is pretty much a dressed up hamburger or a dressed up piece of chicken. For my money, I prefer Hardees.

Archived