Brewer Fanatic

The plight of the Detroit Tigers (Considering the auto industry)

I still expect that somehow Ford, Chrysler and GM will continue on...

However, what if the government doesn't step in to provide loans/financing to continue operations? What if Chrysler, Ford and GM really shut their doors? Unemployment in Detroit (already high at 9.3%) could peak to great depression levels (25%).

The Detroit Lions are already having difficultly getting fan's in the gates. (Albeit - they suck)

It is my belief that the Tigers could become huge sellers as they look to slash payroll. ($137 million last year) I know they would love to deal Dontrelle Willis for a bag of balls. I would imagine Magglio and his salary are also available. Grandersen would be a dream in CF.

The Brewers have legitimate young (cheap) prospects, maybe now is the time to see if we can pry away some huge chips during a great buyers market.

Anyone have any ideas?

No to Dontrelle unless the Tigers would be taking Suppan in the deal. Actually I would prefer Suppan over Willis. Granderson would be nice to have in CF I'm not sure who the Tigers would want in return. The biggest contract is Miggy Cabrera and I don't see the Tigers moving him especially after trading for him and signing him to a long term deal plus we already have someone like Miggy in Prince.

Maybe a deal where the Brewers send Jeffries, Cain, and Salome to the Tigers for Verlander and Granderson. I don't think that is enough but it would be a starting point at least.

Polanco could be a good add also. If the Tigers are looking to shed payroll the Brewers could send Iribarren and Periard to the Tigers for Polanco. This is probably over paying for Polanco but he does have a nice small contract at $4.6M for next year. Weeks could become a 4th OF or split time with Polanco at 2B.

Polanco would make a good 2B and a good leadoff hitter but I am wary of Polanco's OBP being mostly because of his average. Though going from Detroit to Milwaukee may help with that.

As for Magglio I would rather sign Dunn or Burrell to a contract than take on Magglio's contract. Ordonez would hit the numbers to get his contracted renewed for 2010 so we would be on the hook for $18M and that is probably more than what Dunn or Burrell would be getting.

05:$6M, 06:$15M, 07:$12M, 08:$15M, 09:$18M, 10:$15M club option ($3M buyout), 11:$15M club option (no buyout) according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.

• options guaranteed at $18M for 2010 & $15M for 2011 if Ordonez has:
    • [li]
    135 starts or 540 PAs in 2009, or
  • 270 starts or 1,080 PAs in 2008-09

[/li]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Any one of the big 3 closing impacts more than just Detroit. GM has already announced their are closing the Janesville factory. Plus the impacts to Indiana, Texas, New York factories and elsewhere...

No way does the US allow all 3 to go under, but one may. Ford looks the strongest, GM looks sickly, Chrysler is the weakest. But survive or no, there will be many layoffs in auto factories in the next year. This is not the time to move to Detroit (like anytime would be good?).

I work for a Tier 1 supplier to all the automotive OEMs (GM, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia...). So I get some insight into what is going on. Its not been a fund time this last 4 months...

My guess is that just like the Big 3, the Tigers will refuse to make a smart business plan (seeing economic hardships coming), get into trouble financially, then beg MLB to bail them out.

Plus the impacts to Indiana, Texas, New York factories and elsewhere...

I understand that - but that might raise unemployment to the 9% or so Detroit currently has. A 25% unemployment rate in Detroit (and surrounding areas) could be a death blow.

IF (big IF) that all goes down, Detroit either has to drastically slash payroll as revenue will crumble - or move.

I'd trade any one player for Grandersen straight up. (Except Braun or Yovanni)

BTW - the most realistic target is Guillen. He plays 3B. Has a career OBP of .360 and is owed 10M in 2009, and 13M in 2010 and 2011. He fits the Brewers needs very well - and looks like a perfect salary dump for Detroit.

The Janesville workers who will lose their jobs are going to get 90% of their pay for three years after the plant closes...which is about three weeks away. So, it's sad, yes, but three years of good pay for doing nothing (except going back to school, which is also paid for, if they're smart) doesn't sound too bad to me. It also kind of explains why the auto industry is in trouble. Anyway, while Detroit may be having more problems than other cities, the other cities (including Milwaukee) are feeling the economy too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Speaking of dealerships, I've heard larger cities (like NYC) will lose maybe 1/3 of their dealerships. They just grew too dense (and I'm speaking proximity, not intelligence, although both may be appropriate). But, Detroit will definitely feel the worst of it.

Personally, I think we will see the economy pick up in the next year (housing markets seem to have stabilized/bottomed out already), but the auto industry may take a bit longer. So I doubt we will see a big sell-off by the Tigers. Perhaps if this lingers a year or two...

Archived