Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Sign Russell Branyan (1 Year Deal)

ttsather
From the Wikipedia page on Russell (bold added by me):

He's also regularly referred to as Russell "The Muscle" Branyan and is now also called the "West Coast Pujols".
Oh, that hurts. Someone needs to take that back.

It is Wikipedia. Just saying, there's nothing stopping you from . . .

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Branyan steps out with his bat, having re-grown his mountain man beard. The world ends instantly.
Beautiful post; but is there photographic evidence of Branyan with a mountain man beard? I thought Corey was the mountain man.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Branyan steps out with his bat, having re-grown his mountain man

beard. The world ends instantly.

Beautiful post; but is there photographic evidence of Branyan with a mountain man beard? I thought Corey was the mountain man.

I can't find any pictures, but I definitely remember him sporting a nifty beard for awhile during his first stint with the Crew. It wasn't as shaggy as Hart's, but it didn't need to be. If Branyan doesn't shave for like 2 days, it looks more rugged than what most men grow after 2 months.

At the Mariners game I went to (6/2), Branyan hit a ridiculously long foul ball which hit the facade of the Hit it Here Cafe in right field. The radio announcer was like "that is one of the longest hit balls I have seen hit here ever, fair or foul." Fans in Seattle still are kind of meh about Branyan, apparently they are unaware of how much of a cult legend he is. When I clapped loudly for him I'm sure people looked at me like I was crazy. Then he hit for the trifecta of 3TO.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

At last nights game I told the lady next to me to vote 3to in the all star ballot. She was against the idea, "Who is he?". I had to look away in horror.

2 innings later, she goes "Is that like Russel Branyan that played for the Brewers?"

Um Yeah

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, leading into the break after the top half of the 8th, Brian Anderson noted that "The Muscle" was coming up next for the Brewers.

He was of course talking about Gamel/Braun/Fielder. Yet, my heart skipped a beat.

Branyan goes 1-for-5 tonight with a HR and, you guessed it, 4 strikeouts.

Reading that (two days later) evokes the same feeling you get from running into an ex-girlfriend at the movies with her new boyfriend. She's wearing sweats and has her hair in a pony tail. She's looking cute, but kind of sexy in a transparent sort of way. She just looks as you remember her.

Had the Muscle gone 2 for 4 in 5 PA with an HR, 2 walks, and a K that would have been like running into your ex at the movies with her new boyfriend, and for whatever reason she's wearing a nice red dress.

I wonder where the Brewers could find a left handed power hitting third baseman who would have something like 18 HRs already this season. That would really help the offense. Oh yeah, we had a guy like that...twice...and let him go because Bill Hall makes a lot of money.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

The fact that Branyan is not in a Brewers uniform this year is just another reason to spite Bill Hall. Not a day goes by in 2009 where I don't wish Bill Hall would have put up a mediocre to sub-mediocre year in 2006.

The fact that Branyan is not in a Brewers uniform this year is just another reason to spite Bill Hall. Not a day goes by in 2009 where I don't wish Bill Hall would have put up a mediocre to sub-mediocre year in 2006.
This is what hurts the most. No Bill Hall and Russell is the starting 3B this year and the much needed 2nd lefty bat in the lineup.

In retrospect that may have been for the best considering how '06 ended being a "mulligan year", with all the injuries the team suffered.

However, I don't think anyone could have reasonably predicted Branyan would have the kind of year he's had so far, either.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived