Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Sign Russell Branyan (1 Year Deal)

ttsather
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seven with no HR

Nine with 1 hr.

5 with 2 hr.

And that magical day of 8-4-2002 when he was 3 for 4 with 3 hr, 1 BB, and a K. .100% 3TO

Its stuff like that is why i love all you stat-heads out there....

You knew me as Myday2001.

Buster Olney talkes about him in his blog today. Nice to see Russell getting some love.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4121159&name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4121159%26name%3dolney_buster

Here's the part of his blog about Russell.

The simple key to Branyan's emergence

Friday, May 1, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

Russell Branyan played in 50 games for the Brewers last season, and when it was over he hoped to go back to Milwaukee. Doug Melvin, the Milwaukee general manager, responded that he had no interest in Branyan -- but he added this: Call Seattle.

Because Melvin knew that Jack Zduriencik, who had just left the Brewers to take over as the general manager of the Mariners, liked Branyan and might have some thoughts about how Seattle would utilize him. What Zduriencik had in mind for the 33-year-old Branyan was this: 400 to 500 at-bats, as a regular player.

"I wasn't expecting to hear that," said Branyan, on Thursday, "because over my career, I haven't been given that opportunity. It's been something that I dreamt of."

Don Wakamatsu, the Mariners' new manager, understood where Branyan was coming from: His deal with Seattle would mean that Branyan had played in every division during career. While playing for the Indians, Cincinnati, the Brewers, the Padres, the Rays, the Phillies, the Cardinals, the Padres again, and then the Brewers once more, Branyan never topped 378 at-bats in any season. So from time to time in spring training, Wakamatsu approached Branyan and assured him: You're my guy. You're my first baseman. Branyan recalls his new manager saying, "We just want to you to believe you're as good as we think you are."

For Branyan, these words were priceless, meaningful to someone who has always been a part-timer in the big leagues before this year. "As a part-time player, you feel pressed," said Branyan. "You have a tendency to press. If you have one at-bat as a pinch-hitter, or if you have one start, you don't know if that's going to be the only chance you have that week."

What Branyan has found is that this has caused him to tinker constantly, to take extra batting practice and make adjustments that might not be necessary. The downtime can gnaw at a hitter's psyche. Some guys can't even adjust to being a DH. But with the Mariners this season, there has been no downtime for Branyan. Even when Seattle faced hard-throwing lefty John Danks the other day, the left-handed Branyan was in the lineup -- and in that game, he went 5-for-5.

Branyan is hitting .333 with four homers and 10 RBI and an OPS of 1.029. He's been a foundation piece in the Mariners' strong start in 2009. So long as he stays healthy, he'll continue to get at-bats and might finally find out what he could do with 500 at-bats. He currently projects for 137 runs, 39 doubles, 39 homers and 98 RBI.

Elsewhere, Mike Sweeney has shown to be the missing piece for the Mariners, writes Larry LaRue.

While Branyan chatted on Thursday afternoon, he veered -- unprompted -- and talked about how important Sweeney has been for the Mariners this year. "He has just brought in a new attitude," said Branyan. "He gets guys ready to play. He has everybody focusing on winning series."

Russell Branyan played in 50 games for the Brewers last season, and when it was over he hoped to go back to Milwaukee. Doug Melvin, the Milwaukee general manager, responded that he had no interest in Branyan...

Perplexing and disappointing. I think most of us at least thought that Doug would have offered him a minimum deal. Oh well, a lot of fans in Milwaukee will always love Russ. Hopefully he keeps hitting in Seattle.

Russell Branyan played in 50 games for the Brewers last season, and when it was over he hoped to go back to Milwaukee. Doug Melvin, the Milwaukee general manager, responded that he had no interest in Branyan...

Perplexing and disappointing. I think most of us at least thought that Doug would have offered him a minimum deal. Oh well, a lot of fans in Milwaukee will always love Russ. Hopefully he keeps hitting in Seattle.

I think you're just reading it in the sensationalist manner in which Olney framed that bit, though. In fact iirc the Olney description is embellishment (the shock!) -- didn't Melvin basically tell Russ that the ABs he wanted weren't there for him in Milwaukee, but were in Seattle? That's how I'm remembering this. In any event, here's the rest of the segment you quoted, except this time it's not so drastically stated:

...but he added this: Call Seattle.

Because Melvin knew that Jack Zduriencik, who had just left the Brewers to take over as the general manager of the Mariners, liked Branyan and might have some thoughts about how Seattle would utilize him. What Zduriencik had in mind for the 33-year-old Branyan was this: 400 to 500 at-bats, as a regular player.

"I wasn't expecting to hear that," said Branyan, on Thursday, "because over my career, I haven't been given that opportunity. It's been something that I dreamt of."

Melvin seems to like to get guys shots at regular jobs if/when they come available. I have no empirical data to support that, just something that 'seems like' what Melvin does.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Olney states pretty clearly that Melvin told Branyan that he had "no interest" in him but thought that Jack Zduriencik, who had a team coming off of a 101 loss season, might. I don't know how I could be misinterpreting that, but maybe you're right. Olney or Branyan didn't say that Melvin only had interest in Russ as a backup, he said "no interest".

then I am definitely wrong. I hadn't heard that, and would have expected to get something like that from TH. Maybe Russell asked for a bigger role & Melvin told him he had no interest in him for that. In any event, I'm glad to see Branyan thriving & wish it was with the Crew.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

picked up a Branyan t-shirt jersey in the 400 level fan zone for $5 yesterday. I will wear it with pride. I miss that left handed pop off the bench, even though I think Nelson will eventually get it going.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Melvin seems to like to get guys shots at regular jobs if/when they come available. I have no empirical data to support that, just something that 'seems like' what Melvin does.

When Brady Clark was traded Melvin mentioned something to the effect of not liking to keep players around who he thought could get more playing time someplace else simply to have them on the roster. I seem to remember he doing this several times though I can't recall any others than Clark at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson ended up traded to a rebuilding team sometime soon as well. He seems to be the type of player who could use regular playing time but will never get it here.

Olney states pretty clearly that Melvin told Branyan that he had "no interest" in him but thought that Jack Zduriencik, who had a team coming off of a 101 loss season, might.

When someone says someone said I think there is room for misinterpretation along the way. Melvin may have said he had no interest but it might have been in the context of I have no interest in keeping you for the 100ab's you'll get here. Or it could mean I have no interest in you because I have to have more versatility in my bench and you play the wrong defensive positions. Or it might simply be no interest because I think you aren't good enough. Of all the possible reasons for not having interest I think simply not being good enough is the least likely. Olney could have used the words no interest when in fact he had interest if nobody else wanted to give him a shot at more playing time than he would get here. Regardless it is never good to assume the exact meaning of one party is exactly what a third or fourth party portrayed it to be. If Melvin really thought 3TO was useless he probably wouldn't have bothered to direct him to JZ.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I seem to remember he doing this several times though I can't recall any others than Clark at the moment.

There was a catcher in AAA, Borders maybe, and of course trading Ben Hendrickson to the Royals thus giving him a chance at the bigs.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just went over to the Mariners website and watched all the Branyan highlight videos from this season. Man I really miss watching this guy hit. I can't wait to finally see Russ hit 30+ HR's in a season something we all knew he could do if he got the regular playing time.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I just went over to the Mariners website and watched all the Branyan highlight videos from this season. Man I really miss watching this guy hit. I can't wait to finally see Russ hit 30+ HR's in a season something we all knew he could do if he got the regular playing time.

You mean if he stayed healthy. Every time we started him on a regular basis he got hurt, that has been the story of his career. Maybe as a 1B/DH he can stay healthy, who knows.

I seem to remember he doing this several times though I can't recall any others than Clark at the moment.

There was a catcher in AAA, Borders maybe, and of course trading Ben Hendrickson to the Royals thus giving him a chance at the bigs.

That would be Pat Borders.

Archived