Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Sign Russell Branyan (1 Year Deal)

ttsather

even though we lost the game, the pinch hit BOMB he hit off Joe Nathan at MP was probably the most exciting thing i've ever witnessed in person. I still get a little pumped thinking about it. For that, he'll always have a special place in my heart.

now go get Beltre Doug!

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to 3TO may the baseball Gods smile upon him so he can have at least a Brady Clark, Scott Podsednik level career. Given Seattle's situation it makes a lot of sense for him to go there even if Doug wanted him back. Can't blame a guy who has struggled to stick in the majors for doing what's best for his career.

Clearly liveforoctober meant, 'I don't know if the ball is going to travel 800 feet, or only 600 feet'

Or it hits the catchers mit and he walks to first or the dugout.

I know some have said they would be disappointed with a Gamel/Hall platoon. But I think it makes sense.

I'm don't know how much sense it makes to have a defensive liability who has yet to play in AAA play the hot corner even as a platoon player. Especially for a team with playoff aspirations.

As far as what the Brewers do there isn't much on the free agent market. Mike Lamb is the best 3B option for a left handed bat in the free agent market. While I hope we get an upgrade via trade I think at this point I'd rather go Lamb/Hall platoon than bring up Gamel before he's ready. Lamb has kind of a weird career so far. His OBP is kind of streaky from year to year. If we get the good Lamb we get a guy who takes his walks and hits for decent average. If we get the bad lamb we don't get the average and his power is never going to make up the difference. I think hoping Lamb keeps his OBP up high enough is a better gamble than hoping Gamel is good enough offensively to offset his defense. With Lamb and Hall we have two players who have had a couple good years sprinkled in with some pretty bad ones. All we need is for one of them to get it together for a year to prevent a black hole at third.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

even though we lost the game, the pinch hit BOMB he hit off Joe Nathan at MP was probably the most exciting thing i've ever witnessed in person. I still get a little pumped thinking about it. For that, he'll always have a special place in my heart.

now go get Beltre Doug!

Same here, that was an amazing game. The Twins fans standing and cheering and in one instant the crowd shifted to all Brewers fans standing cheering, I heard after the game that Jim thought it was the loudest he had ever heard MP. Great at bat by 3TO, good times!

I'm don't know how much sense it makes to have a defensive liability who has yet to play in AAA play the hot corner even as a platoon player. Especially for a team with playoff aspirations.

Plus we'd burn a season of our best prospect's service time in a part-time role. I sure hope that's not Melvin's plan.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Has it been said that the Mariner's are looking to dump Beltre? Branyan's signing shouldn't effect Beltre at all. Right now, Branyan is the best player the Mariner's have to play 1B, and he might be better than any two corner OF that they have right now.

To be fair, Gamel did play a little at AAA last year. And a few at bats for the Brewers. Considering he had a bum elbow, he performed pretty decent at both stops.

I don't mind Gamel - I, as others have stated, just don't want him up on opening day so that we can have an extra year of his services. (Also known as "pulling a Hardy")

• 4 months later...

Looks like Branyan is laid up again, after a nice start for the Mariners. He missed the past week with back problems, and tried taking BP on Thursday but was unable to do so. It's so frustrating to see that he just can't stay on the field long enough to put together a full great season.

Oh Russell, why must you be such a tease??

I hope the best for him partially because of him partially because it would help Jack Z. but he had always been a streaky hitter. This is a good start but it will be followed by an equally bad stretch where he strikes out in half his ab's. That's just how the muscle rolls.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Yeah, I just saw now that he's back in the lineup today with 2 hits (including a HR) and 2 BB.

3TO% of 66%. Not to bad.

What is his 3TO percentage so far this year?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I drafted him in the last round of all my drafts, leaving 1b vacant for him. Most laughed at me at the time but I think I was the only one who realized Branyan would be playing fulltime (when healthy)

Archived