Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Sign Russell Branyan (1 Year Deal)

ttsather
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't get it. Why wasn't retaining Branyan a priority for Melvin? Now the situation at 3B is incredibly concerning to me. At least with Branyan we had the fall-back of a Hall/Branyan platoon.

Well said, TLB. I hope we're able to get a full-time 3B, but I've gotten myself used to the idea that we'd have Hall/Branyan in 2009 and Gamel at 3B in 2010 (or midway through 2009 if he was ready). I think it's going to be hard to find a one-year stopgap for 3B, so now it's either going to be Lamb/Hall, Hall full time (yuck!), bringing up Gamel early, or signing a long-term answer at 3B and moving Gamel to a new position in the minors.

I guess now I'll have to hope for option #4.

Adrian Beltre would be a pretty good one year stop gap IMO

Yeah I have no idea what Sabathia would have to do with any decision on Branyan. This is too bad though. Would have been nice to have him for another year.

Melvin was probably having his secretary forward all his calls to voice mail, in case Sabathia's agent called. Branyan frantically tried to call Doug for weeks after the post-season, but Melvin never got his messages...

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I know some have said they would be disappointed with a Gamel/Hall platoon. But I think it makes sense.

First, the majority of pitchers in MLB are right handed. So Gamel would be getting an overwhelming majority of the starts at 3B.

It would allow him to break into the bigs gently and not forcing him to have to hit against the tough lefties.

It would also allow him to work on his defense with the big league coaches. Plus having his lefty bat off the bench on games he didn't start would be a definite plus.

The other option could be Nelson, I guess he played some 3b at Nashville. Does anyone know how well he was playing there?

I don't see the Brewers going and spending a lot on 3b (either via prospects in a trade or dollars in free agency) if they recognize Gamel as the future at the position, which I really think they do.

how much money was the deal with the mariners for? why doesn't it mention that anywhere?

I think a power lefty bat off the bench was exactly what the Brewers need. But if starting/full playing time is what he wanted, I can see why we didn't get him back.

I think CC has nothing to do with this because Melvin is smart enough o know that his chances of resigning CC are basically 0%.

It looks like Branyan got a decent amount of money and will have a good chance at playing time, so best of luck to him. I just hope this doesn't mean that Gamel will start 09' in the majors.

how much money was the deal with the mariners for? why doesn't it mention that anywhere?

Per the link in the lead post (towards the bottom):

SEATTLE, Wash. -- Seattle Mariners Executive Vice President & General Manager of Baseball Operations Jack Zduriencik announced today that the club has signed free agent infielder Russell Branyan to a one-year contract. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

It looks like Branyan got a decent amount of money and will have a good chance at playing time, so best of luck to him. I just hope this doesn't mean that Gamel will start 09' in the majors.

Agreed on both, rluz. I let my emotions get the best of me when I saw that Branyan had signed with SEA. Of course it makes sense for him to go somewhere that's going to give him more playing time. Good luck 3TO!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Per the link in the lead post (towards the bottom):

SEATTLE, Wash. -- Seattle Mariners Executive Vice President & General Manager of Baseball Operations Jack Zduriencik announced today that the club has signed free agent infielder Russell Branyan to a one-year contract. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.
ESPN.com makes it pretty clear that it's $1.4 million. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index (News links) Plus, Russell can earn $500,00 in incentive bonuses ... $250,000 for 200 plate appearances.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

If Russell's baseball-reference page is correct, it'll be the highest annual salary he's ever earned in the Majors, even without the incentives. While it stinks to lose him, congrats on getting a pretty nice deal considering what he brings to the table. It's basically a deal that makes sense for both sides involved. I hope the Seattle fans will soon recognize the greatness of the 3TO and the fact that they now have a living legend on their roster.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I just hope this doesn't mean that Gamel will start 09' in the majors.
Is it possible the Brewers try to make do with Hall and whoever for the first couple months of the season, and then bring up Gamel around June (a la Braun in 2007) to either start or platoon?

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm pretty bummed. I hoped they would extend him through 2009 when he was on his torrid hitting streak last year. He might have been willing to do it for cheap just to have the security of a major league job.

I think we could end up with an unexpected player starting at 3B...kind of like when Melvin landed Corey Koskie a couple years back. I think something is brewing, though we won't know for a while.

Hinske, See my post in Transitions-Christmas List. Home state boy, very versatile 3rd, 1st, outfield. He has a better average than RB and we do not lose much in power. I see Melvin going with Lamb. I don't have much confidence in that.

Archived