Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Sign Russell Branyan (1 Year Deal)

ttsather

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His homerun off Nathan was one of the highlights for me this year...

Good for him though. He begged Melvin to give him a minor league contract last season when no one wanted him... worked hard, repaid his dues and now has a big league contract again a year later.

I will miss the feeling of complete "I have no idea what is about to happen" when he pinch hit in the late innings though...

Peace 3TO ... you were good to us... again.

does this mean they are looking to deal Beltre?
Their only 1B on the 40 man roster is a 25 year old named Bryan Lahair. He looks to be mediocre at best. This is a great opportunity for Russell. Good luck to him. One of my favorite players. I am sad to see him go. Here's hoping he stays healthy enough to play a full season. To bad it's a Safeco. Ugh.

I just don't get it. Why wasn't retaining Branyan a priority for Melvin? Now the situation at 3B is incredibly concerning to me. At least with Branyan we had the fall-back of a Hall/Branyan platoon.

does this mean they are looking to deal Beltre?

I would think so, Zach. There were rumors through the 2008 season, and once again after the WS. I sure hope Melvin can jump on that. Beltre on a one-year deal at $12M is a nice fit for the 2009 Crew. Although there is this, from Cot's:

Limited no-trade clause allowing Beltre to block deals to 8 clubs (including Padres and Dodgers).

And this:

Agent: Scott Boras

I'd be willing to guess that back when he signed his deal in 2005, the Brewers had a pretty good shot of being one of those other 6 teams. Of course he'd probably feel differently about that now. Good grief I love Beltre. That guy's defense is amazing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Good luck to him. He is a marginal player at best but well liked on this site. It sounds like he has a decent opportunity there. Guys like Branyan aren't the solution for us they are filler material. I don't see many deals going down for a long time given the economy. I think that is what is driving or should I say not driving most teams now. There are a handful of teams with money to spend and just as many or more trying to cut salary. Most of the rest seem content to stay pat for now.

I will miss the feeling of complete "I have no idea what is about to happen" when he pinch hit in the late innings though...

Peace 3TO ... you were good to us... again.

Are you an imposter 3TO fan? More than anyone in the league, you should know what to expect when Russel the Muscle steps in the box!

Guys like Branyan aren't the solution for us they are filler material.

Guys that can OPS around .900 v. RHP at 3B aren't that easy to come by. Couple that with Hall doing about the same to LH pitching, and that the defense would be solid, and you have an ideal (read: AS-caliber production) 3B platoon.

Are you an imposter 3TO fan? More than anyone in the league, you should know what to expect when Russel the Muscle steps in the box!

Clearly liveforoctober meant, 'I don't know if the ball is going to travel 800 feet, or only 600 feet' http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just don't get it. Why wasn't retaining Branyan a priority for Melvin? Now the situation at 3B is incredibly concerning to me. At least with Branyan we had the fall-back of a Hall/Branyan platoon.
I really hope this means Melvin was not content with Branyan/Hall at 3B and has much better things in mind.

Branyan/Hall was at least an average 3B.

I really don't like Lamb/Hall nearly as much. Melvin is starting to confuse me.

Whoops. Looks like we got caught sitting on our hands waiting (still) for Sabathia to officially turn us down. I wonder how many other opportunities will come and go while we wait for CC to say no thanks.

I'm assuming this isn't the case...Branyan isn't that expensive and the Brewers probably don't have every front office employee working/waiting 100% on CC.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Over Under on number of pages this thread reaches is 11.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ugh. more than anything this might mean moving Gamel up before he's ready.
Now my fear is that Gamel comes up and uses a year of service time as a platoon player.

He is a marginal player at best but well liked on this site.

He is marginal if used as an every day player. As the left handed half of a platoon he would put up all-star numbers.

I really hope this was a case of Branyan seeing this as a chance at more playing time more than Doug not wanting him back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

We might finally find out what Branyan can do with 500 AB's since he pretty much as no competition at 1st base at this point. Jack Z said he will have a chance to win the job outright. I would have liked to see him at 3rd in a Hall/Branyan platoon this coming year, but I guess Melvin & Company have other plans. Besides why on earth would Branyan not take the Mariners offer since he is almost guaranteed far more playing time than he would have gotten with the Brewers. I wonder if Melvin made any attempt to bring him back?

I wonder if Melvin made any attempt to bring him back?
If he wanted more playing time I'm not sure what Melvin could have offered him. More money? But why would you do that? I believe Branyan just took what was best for him. Melvin couldn't offer Branyan what he wanted in playing time while the Mariners could.

I'm happy that Russ is (seemingly) getting another chance at winning a job. It's weird that Melvin didn't try to keep him as a platoon third baseman, but maybe he hopes to end the platoon and get a full-time 3rd baseman. Good luck to Russ in Seattle.

Well said, TLB. I hope we're able to get a full-time 3B, but I've gotten myself used to the idea that we'd have Hall/Branyan in 2009 and Gamel at 3B in 2010 (or midway through 2009 if he was ready). I think it's going to be hard to find a one-year stopgap for 3B, so now it's either going to be Lamb/Hall, Hall full time (yuck!), bringing up Gamel early, or signing a long-term answer at 3B and moving Gamel to a new position in the minors.

I guess now I'll have to hope for option #4.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I take this much more as:

-Russell Branyan getting a shot to start as opposed to a shot to platoon... I mean, if you were a ballplayer, which would you want? Branyan probably asked Melvin if he was going to get a shot to start full time, Melvin said probably not, and Branyan took Seattle's offer.

-Melvin looking at a full time third base option not named Bill Hall.

-Giving Brad Nelson a little better shot at making the roster and not having to expose him to waivers.

Than:

-The Sabathia situation having anything to do with retaining Branyan.

-The Brewers making a mistake... they can't keep players they can't promise a starting job to, if that player has a better shot at a starting job elsewhere.

-The Brewers not realizing Branyan's worth against RHP.

-The Brewers giving the job to Mat Gamel.

We don't know the situation. It's possible Doug wanted him back, but Russell saw a better chance to play more in Seattle and take one last chance at solidifying his career.
I think that is probably the likely situation here. I don't see why Branyan would consider coming back to Milwaukee if an opportunity to play everyday came his way. He'd be a platoon player/pinch hitter in Milwaukee but could be Seattle's everyday first baseman.

Archived