Brewer Fanatic

Fielder arby hearing

Weirdos19

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes anyway.

When the Brewers go into the arbitration hearing with Fielder, can they put a clause that Prince gets a bump in pay if his weight is in a desirable range? Say the Brewers offer 6 million for 2009, with an extra weight incentive of 1.5 if he comes in under 260lbs. Can they do that??

I guess the question would be can incentive laden contracts be put on the table at arbitration???

I suppose they can always agree on any type of contract right up to the arby hearing, so it's possible to add something like this. I don't know why Prince would agree to it, though. He's going to win his arbitration case. The only way the Brewers avoid arbitration is to sign him to a long term which doesn't seem like anything he is interested in.

Predictions anyone? I'm guessing the Brewers offer 7.5 Million and Boras offers 11 Million. The two settle at 9.5 Million.
That seems pretty high to me. Ryan Howard got 10 million after having won an MVP and following that up with 47 HR and an OPS around .970 and Prince has not matched Howard's numbers. My guess would be that Fielder gets 8-8.5 million, but I really have no idea and zzz could be right on.

The two settle at 9.5 Million.

I think the arbitrator picks one or the other offer. Once it goes to a hearing there is no meeting in the middle. I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

As to the original post; I don't think I've ever heard of a clause like this in an arbitration case. If it is possible to write it in; it may hurt the brewers chances of winning the case.

I think the arbitrator picks one or the other offer. Once it goes to a hearing there is no meeting in the middle. I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

No, you are right. But the two sides can continue to negotiate right up to the time of the hearing. Sometimes teams/players settle before the hearing.

That's true, but Fielder and the Brewers could still settle after the offers are established and before the hearing.

Say the Brewers offer 6 million for 2009, with an extra weight incentive of 1.5 if he comes in under 260lbs. Can they do that??

No.

Correct

Fielder won't crack $8 million IMO

I think Fielder should get $7-8M.

All of the articles I've read say that Prince should expect around a 10x increase in his pay, which would put him around $6,700,000, so if the reporters are right (are they ever?) I'd guess Prince to be around $6-8MM.

My question is, "Does the arbitrator consider current year contracts or does he only consider prior year contracts when determining 'comperable players'?" If he considers other contracts from this offseason, Prince might get a little less money, as it seems that teams may be a bit more stingy. If the judge doesn't use contracts signed this offseason, Prince may get more money.

Most players and teams want to avoid arbitration, but if judges don't consider contracts signed this offseason, Boras / Prince might choose to go to arbitration.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Boras comes in asking for 11 million the Brewers should offer 5.5 million, because they'd win that arby case. Prince isn't getting more than 8-8.5 million.

I disagree -- If $8.5M is the "right" salary and Prince was ~3M over, and the Brewers came in ~3M under -- the arbitrator is almost certainly to rule in favor of Prince.

If Boras comes in asking for 11 million the Brewers should offer 5.5 million, because they'd win that arby case. Prince isn't getting more than 8-8.5 million.
Except the offer and ask are done blindly so the Brewers will have no idea if Boras is asking for 11 million or something less. You offer what you feel is fair.

I wonder if Fielder and Boras now realize that had they taken the offer the Brewers made to him, he'd probably have earned much more money over 2008-2011 than he will by attempting to take contracts year-to-year through arby. Granted, a season or two of free agency may have been bought out with the Brewers' extension, but he's got to realize that unless he gets his weight under control, there won't be many teams offering him 5+ year deals when he finally does become a free agent.

I guess I have to be a little clearer than in my original post.

Say the Brewers were to offer 6.5 million with another 1 million in a weight incentive (under 260), would an arbitrator find that more attractive than 6.5 million straight up? Could the Brewers actually sway an arbitrator with incentives for the player?

If so, I would offer that to Prince, maybe even bump that incentive to 2 million. If 2 million dollars isn't enough to get him to get in shape, he needs to be traded this offseason.

The rules of arbitration are such that you offer only a number. No incentives are allowed.
But the Brewers could negotiate that with Prince before the actual arbitration hearing.

(By the way, his first career home run game was on the other night. He was a pretty trim looking fella)

That game was awesome -- Weeks's first career HR too, right? I was at that one, and won't soon forget it. Both were absolute bombs -- typical Weeks laser-beam HR to left; Prince pinch-hit & went oppo to LC for the 3-R shot that gave the Crew a one-run lead over the Twins.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived