Brewer Fanatic

Advice for digital cameras

The Active 33
I have never owned a digital camera and I think it is time to break down and get one. Anyone have suggestions on what brand(s) are the best? I won't be doing anything fancy with it, I just want to get something that will last and won't get outdated real quick. For example, I saw a new Samsung with 7.2 megapixel for $100. I have no idea if that is a deal or not. I appreciate the help.

You may not care right now, but it is nice to have a really good optical(not digital) zoom. I have 3x zoom and it does almost nothing. If I was to buy another digital camera I would go at least 12x optical zoom.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Logan's right. Look past the big zoom number on the packaging to make sure it's optical, not only digital.

Have you thought already about how large a camera you want? There are a bunch of models that will fit in your pocket, but they tend to be not too powerful in the zoom department (which may be fine if you mostly take closeup shots of your friends and family, or landscape type photos like a crowd shot at Miller Park - but they probably won't get you a nice close shot of Manny Parra on the mound).

I have a mid-size Kodak, which I like as an object but I don't much care for the software that comes with it. Like logan3825, I often wish I had sprung for more zoom.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I have always had a Canon Elph and would always recommend them. Also, you can get a 2nd battery for cheap online so you can always have a fully charged battery. Also, don't let them talk to you into get an SD card at a store. You can get them extremely cheap online as well. Over a year ago I purchased a 4 GB card for $20 online. There are some great deals out there on cameras in stores right now.

blatzlight is right about getting a 2nd battery. I finally did after twice running out of battery on vacations - once in the everglades and the 2nd time at San Diego Wild Animal Park. Somehow it was my duty to make sure it was fully charged and my S.O. failed to inform me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

CNET.com is a good site to do some research on. I bought separate software to edit photos with because the software that came with my camera was really bad. I would also look on CNET(or Consumer Reports if you have a subscription to there) to see what they have to say about the software that comes with the camera you are interested in. Link

I bought my camera 4-5 years ago so it is really outdated. I would reccomend getting a camera that can use AA bateries just in case your batteries go dead.

I blame Wang.

For editing software I have found that Picasa by Google is a great free program to use to manage all of your photos. It has more than enough editing features for your point and shoot photographer. Also is the best way to share photos if you ask me as you can download entire albums of your friends if you like, rather than just a single photo at a time.

The first thing to do is figure out what type and size of camera you want (pocket, ultra zoom, or something in the middle?), as that will greatly narrow your options. I would recommend http://dcresource.com and http://dpreview.com as sites to base your research from. Far more in depth than CNET.

Don't forget that megapixels are a huge marketing scam. Don't pick a camera just because it has a bigger number.

Seriously don't underestimate the size issue. I have an SLR that takes BEAUTIFUL pictures - but sometimes it's a big pain to carry that big camera around - and I'm a girl! I have the purse! So for a guy, I can't imagine carrying that thing everywhere.

That being said, my mother has your basic point-and-shoot Kodak Easy Share that we gave her for Christmas in like 2000 and the thing still works like a charm. She's not so technologically inclined, so it's completely idiot-proof.

We spent 10 days in Ireland and exclusively used that camera (this was long before I got my SLR) and the pictures that thing took are gorgeous. You'd never believe this dinky camera took them.

If you're looking at taking pictures of your kids and the dog, don't think you have to go all out...

Edit:

Also, don't be talked into rechargeable batteries - whether a pack or simple rechargeable AA's. My SLR takes 4 AAs and I use your regular every day batteries and get plenty of life out of them. I watch for sales, stock up, and probably haven't spent $20 all year on batteries.

If you do go with rechargeable AA's, I'd buy the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. My Canon A570IS would give the low battery indicator after 5 pictures when using Energizer or Duracell rechargeable AA batteries, since they lose their charge in storage really badly. I tried new batteries with a higher mAh, a new charger and everything, but they always gave the same result. I never thought the brand of battery would make a difference, but after reading a forum discussing many people having the same problem with my camera, I switched to the suggested Eneloop batteries and they actually work perfectly. The difference is that they are "low self-discharge" batteries. More Info Here. There are other brands there, but I've only used the Eneloops.

I will third the Eneloops. I use them for my 360 and Wii controllers. I will go a couple weeks without having to charge batteries. The Energizer rechargeable batteries I had to use within a couple days of charging or they would lose their charge.

I blame Wang.

Archived